Sign in to follow this  
cavallino

Two Indian drivers in German VW Polo Cup

Both Ashwin Sundar and Aditya Patel will be trying their hand at saloon racing from next week. The two will be racing in the ADAC Volkswagen Polo Cup. Not entirely sure whether this means calling it quits on a career in single seaters or not. let's see how it goes. sundar proved to be pretty damn fast in his first ever outing last year. patel is a pretty polished driver. so it should be fun to see the two go at it.

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=3004

Pursuing saloon car racing is a more practical option for those with limited funds. doesn't have the glamour of single seater racing but at least there is a better chance of success

There's also the fact that a domestic saloon racing series can draw a lot of attention. from potential advertisers as well as spectators. provided, of course that the racing is held at more than one track at more than one venue. it seems a real shame that racing is confined to the south as of now. with the various automotive clusters around the country it isn't hard to imagine a bonafide indian touring car championship one day.

and if you let some well heeled tuners get their hands on some shell racers, who knows, these saloons could well turn into something REALLY nasty! like that 330bhp indica race car for example.

series like DTM and the Australian V8 Supercar series (Bathurst 500 is an awesome event) are good examples of what can come out of having good entry level saloon racing series. i would mention NASCAR in this list too but i can't stand the format that the yanks have set for the series. all those yellow flags to artificially bunch up the field and have countless commercials in the ad breaks...a bit too greedy for my liking.