subodhpatil

Suggest Good First Car on diesel

Hi Subodh, since its going to be your first car, I would suggest you to stick  with Maruti. In a couple of days a new car by Maruti is going to be launched, Ritz as it is called!

Intersting launches in this category would be - Fiat Punto, Honda Jazz. Jazz would be a good buy too but it shall be in petrol only.

If its compact diesel swift, if saloon then you may try Linea.

If you are alway loaded try the Vista or Indigo.

Logan to me is a poor girl with imitation jewellery on.

I think the best value for money car is the Swift Dzire VDi.For hatchback money you are getting a very competent, performance oriented sedan. look i also dont like the awkward shape of the Dzire inspite of having a Dzire ZDi in the family and am so much happy and satisfied with the car that am buying another Swift Dzire petrol VXi now for my personal use.(As we live in a joint family and we have( Honda City GXi(2004 model),Maruti Swift Dzire ZDi(2008), Maruti SX4 VXi(2008), Hyundai Verna CRDi(2007), Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 SLX Type 2(2006), Ford Ikon TDCi (2009)(mine), Maruti Alto LXi Celebration(2008)(mine), Maruti Esteem LXi Velocity Edition(2003), Maruti Zen VX(2000), Maruti 800 AC(2005), Hyundai Santro Xing GS(2004),Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS(2006)).Its a superb VFm and fuel economy is a staggering 18km/pl overall with a/c on. The fit and finish is best in class and its a very practical car with a huge boot and good features like in dash ICE, rear centre arm rest, rear headrests abs, airbags,climate control(in zxi and zdi only).Jazz will range from 7lakhs to approx 9 lakhs.Go for it Because there's no greater peace of mind and satisfaction than owning a Maruti Suzuki. Thats why it says" India comes Home in a MARUTI SUZUKI"!!!!!!!!

Hmm...

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think I should go For Maruti only as its going to be a first car.

Skoda Fabia would be a good choice but I feel it will have high maintenance cost.

Logan as someone said is a poor girl with imitation jewelry on.

So from maruti Ritz or Switf Dzire. Frankly speaking I don

As i told you go for Maruti Swift Dzire VDi. Its got a fabulous 1.3DDiS engine and you will gradually like the shape of the car. Go for it without hesitation.!!! It a good buy.

Well  you could wait for the Grande Punto which is releasing in1st week of June and will have the same multijet powering the swift,Dzire ,Vista,Palio,Linea ,Ritz etc.

Wait for Rits= 14 May, Grande Punto = 4 june. Take your decision after this date. In current list, if you are considering Swift / D-zire, I will definitely add Vista. And if you can wait for 2-3 months more, Indigo will be there. But Indigo's date is not announced, so not worth the wait.

As alot of people have rightly said, Stick to a maruti product. They are the best "First cars" you can have. Cheap to run, Cheap to maintain, and overall a good experience.

Each time I drive the Swift or the Dzire DDiS I feel wow!! what an engine and I am sure once you are in the driving seat you will forget the shape of the car and start enjoying the drive just like me :-) because i hate the share of the Dzire too

Now that we have narrowed down to the choices, you have to to decide whther you want a hatchbak or a sedan. No need to go for that boot if you dont need one. It just makes the swift look ugly. If you need the boot your choice is made, go for the dzire.

If not, between swift and ritz, its a choice between good looks(swift) and space(ritz) i would have choosen space, cos looks grow on you after sometime, but you will always need the space.

So in my opinion go for the Ritz.

PS: I felt Ritz really loooked good in white

250 kms/week = 1000 a month.

So, its not a strong case for a diesel..and as you said, its not a compulsion.

You are not happy with the expected 7 lakh price-tag of the Jazz? But you have mentioned your budget as 6-8 lakh. Please clarify.

For your kind of running, breaking even with a diesel car will take a long time.

thisisviraj2009-05-13 07:01:20

@thisisviraj: I strongly endorse your view. At 12,00km per annum I will definitely not consider a Diesel. Unfortunately, with the Diesel Mania (esp. in the Southern part of the country) sweeping the land many cars are not coming with good petrol engines. The Verna started the trend. The 1.2/1.4 litre 4m law aggravated it. I still feel the petrol excels with its linear power delivery, smoothness, and lower long term maintenance costs.

Given the price projections I will take a good hard look at the Jazz. Also, the Swift is excellent ( my son has a ZXi). A third option can be the i20.

It reminds me of my earlier post where I had queried on the difference in the costing of a diesel and a petrol engined car.

Taking and example of Indigo Diesel & petrol if you compare feature to feature there is no difference. Even the block is same then what is the additional cost? Same with other petrol and diesel car manufacturers.

Can understand the difference is a Swift diesel and petrol, the petrol is Suzuki manufactured while the diesel is FIAT manufactured hence the increase in cost of procurement.

I think there is no difference in the tax structure even while comparing cost, yet every one accepts the higher cost of owning a Diesel.

Sorry to deviate here but what ever the mileage today's diesel's and petrols are at par on performance and maintenance even.

Europe has been a diesel market for long. Even the US is slowing converting to diesel.

Now SE Asia is also turning in to a diesel market.

hence suggestion that distance travelled should dictate your fuel preferance is no a major arguement any more.

I still feel the petrol excels with its linear power delivery' date=' smoothness, and lower long term maintenance costs.

[/quote']

@Anijog

This answer by Sgiitk Sir pretty much sums it up. The overall driving experience of a petrol is still better than a diesel. its smoother, quieter, refined, low NVH levels. Maintenance too is a little cheaper(although the difference is coming down)..

as for your future car, I still think you are better off saving money by going for a petrol. but its like this: if you are choosing between a 6 lakh petrol car and a 6.5 lakh diesel car, go for the petrol. if its a 6.5 lakh diesel Vs 7 lakh petrol..tough choice..I would still buy the petrol for the reasons mentioned above. But thats just me. 

NVH' date=' smoothness, linear power delivery long term maintenance is now a hotly debatable topic!

[/quote']

True, True!

But its still nowhere near the same. Try driving a diesel and petrol back-to-back. There is a lot of room for improvement.

@anijog well the diesel is more expensive than the petrol with same features and same engine block because the engine is made up of more stronger material as the fuel is burnt more wildly (compression) this adds up to weight and more vibrations to keep the NVH down sound deadners are put in diesel cars and dampers are put in the engine compartment to damp the vibrations .Also diesel require complex fuel injection system which are costlier than petrol.

Thus a diesel of same spec is often 50-60k more expensive and it is the more the difference is the diesel engine than this is said to be premium over petrol.

For your drive,i wud suggest a  Logan, have mentioned earlier that it has a tremendous mileage and also pretty comfortable, spacious and roomy interiors! The Ride is also brilliant..

ok  SWIFT DZire .  But VDI or ZDI.

Its really worth spending money on ZDI?

Ritz Diesel top model goes above six lakhs  so just by increasing around 1.5 lakhs you get Swift DZire Diesel with all nice features

So ..... ?

Hey subodh Maruti may have stopped producing dzire ZDi( sales account less than 0.005% of Dzire's sales) due to unavailability of some parts used in manufacturing ZXi and ZDi. The best variant to go for is the ever popular Swift Dzire VDi. But be prepared to wait for 4-5months as 80% of Dzire sales comprises VDi.