5u3zEr0

Which used POWERFUL Car?

Its time for me to say good bye to my Palio. It will be five years next week since I got and its the longest I have kept a car for myself.

Now the good part is I get to buy another car :)! I am looking only for a PETROL car and here are my priorities in that order:

1) Power (Nothing less than 100bhp)

2) Power again, he he

3) Handling

4) Looks

5) Features / Equipment

I am clear that I want to buy a USED car (not more than 20k on the odo) and my budget is 6/7 lakhs. Also no Hatchbacks.

Though I have already shortlisted it down to two cars in the market, I want all your suggestions and help to get different views and make a final decision on the car.

Lets keep HYUNDAI out of this, as they don't have any car which excites me and I would prefer to avoid Ford and Chevrolet too.

Before you say no to Hyundai - test drive the Verna Diesel. The "stock" car is pretty good and a pete's box works wonders - giving you the kind of acceleration that most petrols can't match.

The other choices would be -

- Octavia RS (there - the S word again)

- Ford mondeo (Hard to find - parts are harder to find)

- OHC Vtech

- the Baleno.

The last two are the low maintenance choices.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous - you could buy an old Lancer and get an engine transplant. 150+bhp should be possible in a 7 lac budget.

For ~6L' date=' one can get a mint Corolla(old gen).

7L should fetch a decent Civic.
[/quote']

Both have soggy handling and their high speed composure is not great. Though the Civic is an option, first thing I would need to do would be to change to stiffer springs.

@ Dtandon: Agreed that the Verna CRDI has stonking performance but it looks like Absolute CRAP! And its a Hyundai.

Your other first choice the RS is definitely up there in my list.

Octavia RS is a 4L buy, not a 6-7 L car!

If you do not like Civic's handling, you would be hating Verna's!

Optra Magnum fits the bill perfectly.

I'm yet to see a good example of an RS sell for 4L. And one with less than 20K on the odo will easily fetch 7+ (atleast down south)

If you can live with Skoda's service - its a great car.

Well for power you need good safety so forget the city Vtec atleast you need a ABS

options

1.05 Accord

2 06 Civic

3 An RS

4 Accord V6 if you can afford fuel costs

I can't thing of more options in used cars as many new launches have doubled the number of cars since 2 years .

7 laks!!!! You could get. a second hand C Class if you stretch your Budget to around 10. Also, look at old Skoda Superbs too. Recently I went to Mahindra First Choice and there were lots of Superbs for around 9 lks.

But if you dont want to stretch your budget, Try and get a Skoda Octavia Vrs. Nothing comes Close to that Baby.

I feel suggesting a Corolla is too mundane for Subzero; nothing short of my dream machine Skoda Octavia vRS will do, that's what the heart says. But the head's choice will be a decent Corolla, my friend recently test drove 2  used Corolla's at Lanson, Chennai and was pretty impressed, I think it must fit your budget. They threw in a year's warranty<dealership> and 2 free service's. But he settled down for a new SX4 instead, didn't want an expensive used buy.

u can get your hands on an merc C180 , any where between 7 to 9.5 lakhs

u can surely get an skoda RS or try accord V6 , 230 bhps beats even the C180

are u interested in suv's ?? then also check out an second hand CRV

@Sarabjeet: C180 had a problem with the Fuel injector's getting clogged now and then and the small 2 lit Merc engine couldn't "digest" our desi adulterated fuel and hence ran up huge service bill's. It must have been 'slouch' of the merc stable at that time; taking around 12 sec's to the ton; besides the three pointed star it had no performance to speak of. It may be an 'ego' boost, nothing more, and an expensive one at that. I wouldn't recommend it. He'd be better off with a used Superb V6 diesel or an Octy vRS.

@ Speed : That is why the Verna is out of the question. The Optra Magnum is a Chevrolet, a diesel and I don't like its looks.

I've seen a 05 RS sell for a 2.5L in Ludhiana!

Skoda's service standards & the gas guzzler it is perceived to be' date=' help the cause tremendously!

[/quote']

And dtandon is right about better value for the Octavia vRS in the south. I have noticed that cars generally have a better resale value in the south. A good Octavia RS for around 3 lakhs is unheard of.

2.5 lakhs for a RS is dead cheap. Was the car perfectly fine, it could have had some problems or an accident.

I am pursuing an '05 RS here in Madras which has less than 20k on the odo and I am ready to buy it for 6 lakhs.

@ dtandon: I don't have to worry about service for the Octavia, we already own one and we service it at a private garage, where even my Palio is serviced. 

Hey Subzero, try to find an old Honda CR-V of model around 2005. You get auto for 7.5L-8.5L and manual for 7.0L-7.5L.

Or you can try a 2004 Honda Accord for 8L

@ rsssh: Though I like the Accord's, they are a little too big and again the Accord's are a bit soft when it comes to handling.

@ Cyrus : The Superb is too big but that V6 diesel is one mean engine. Was at the wrong end of it at a traffic signal, it went by my Palio in full clip, like we were standing still. Don't like Merc's plus I don't want to spend so much for myself. But there are some sweet deals in the market for these fancy cars. My friend told me that a 2006 325i sold for a paltry 10 lakhs!!

I don't want to buy too big a car because twice a week I go to the city center where I have to park my car from morning to evening in a tight fit public parking lot.

Corolla's, SX4's are out of the question, Good CRV's are generally pricier here in Madras, around 9/10 lakhs for a three year old so out of budget.

Yes the RS currently makes my perfect choice.

What do you guys think of the Mitsubishi Cedia? There is a sports version for sale, 1 year old and about 18,000 kms on the odo. It's a 115bhp engine stock, with a piggy back ECU I could add around 15% more power and then the usual free flow, headers and filter would add some more power. I drove it around and the car did not feel too powerful. Seller is asking 6.0 lakhs.

ford fiesta 1.6 ?? u can open up that baby , i remember seeing one at carter road , the guy had output of150 bhp on it , it was strikingly fast , couldn't catch it up in the corolla (even when i swtiched to petrol)

avoid cedia , there are problem with spareparts , they are not available easily .
sarabjeet2009-05-16 14:56:45

Well the Cedia is a good buy at 6lakhs also by changing the suspension and additing turbo and free flow will make it a good deal and the sporty cedia looks great .

@Subzero: Cedia is too "docile" looking, and doesn't alway's get a second look unlike the Octavia vRS which has both the show and go. Haggle for a more and get it for around 5.5 lakh you hardly see any Cedia's, in Chennai where it's produced. I see more Elantra's than Cedia's. I prefer the look's of the Lancer to the Cedia. Get a well maintained Lancer for around 1.5 lakh and spruce it up to your heart's content. I feel the Cedia is not worth it.

Well you are right DD but the engine is free revving and a 2.0lt with modifications can get enough power which is what he is looking for only downside is the ride is really good due to soft suspwnsion setup so if he tunes it for handling then it will be great .He can tune the engine to give approx160bhp also.

It would be alittle hard to come across a second hand Cedia, as they did not sell much in the first place. That said, its a good platform to modify.

Subzero, demand for petrol cars in the North is limited & that too a Skoda! I would sincerely suggest to keep the budget to 4.5L max. in case of a vRS.

Try to find a ford endeavor in a good condition. That matches your requirements quite nicely.Or even the fully loaded Safari must do you good. Would not recommend the cedia cos its not as powerful as made out to be, and as pointed spares are difficult to get.

Or just buy a civic and pete it. Saw one here in noida once. That car was just zipping away like anything. I ahve even seen some fiesta's and sx4's on pete and you could feel the power in them