Hi, my name is Ralf and i am from delhi. I currently own a maruti 800 for 4 years now and im planning to buy another car. I am looking for a sedan with ample of power and speed. Ofcourse with speed, i need to keep safety in mind, so please recommend an entry level sedan with ample safety features. A good braking system is a must. 

I suggest you stick to a Maruti Product. For you kind of budget, a Swift Dzire is Ideal. Other cars in the range are the Ford Ikon and the Hyundai Accent. Do insist on an ABS option when you buy the car.

Welcome man, I think what cyrus said will be perfectly suited for you. My family owns a Swift Dzire ZDi(diesel) and We are so much satisfied with the product that I am going to buy another Swift Dzire .This time a petrol one (VXi) for myself..Its a very competent sedan. Go for the VXi variant.Its superb VFM.

Sorry guys for not replying, was busy testing some cars. i tested the ford fiesta and the swift dzire.. the dzire was ok but i hate its looks and its less spacious, so i have doubts about it... the fiesta, its comfy and i love how it looks. plus  i heard they have an offer on it, so i will get more info on it and other cars before i pick 1

rssh tell me more about the zxi please. Ya i heard about the offer. its till the end of june i think. But i have time until then to investigate further :) for a price of 5.5 lakh, i think fiesta is a steal :P i could not find any other quality sedan with that price and it fits my budget too.....

Well ford has just now added mp3 player and ABS as standard to the ZXi varient and thus its value shoots up and yes it the best built sedan as per ACI when compared to ANH city ,SX4 and Verna it good at the price you are getting.

If you want more better handling on an already good car then the amount saved on the offer can be utilized to get an alloy wheel and 195/60.R15 tyres to get more feedback from the road. Good luck!

Well I feel the DZire ZXI would be slightly over your budget.   If you want peace of mind (while paying the EMIs), why don't you check out the Hyundai Accent Executive.   They are giving it away for a very very good price.   They also have a factory fitted LPG version.   All under 5.6 lakhs on road.

thnx for the info guys. i will look out for the accent as well juggernaut. rssh, do u think i need to change the alloy wheels on the fiesta as well? i heard that the handling of the car is very good. plus, when i test drove the car, i felt very comfortable. the steering response time was excellent, especially while turning at speed corners.

I will try and avoid the Accent. I have owned one for almost seven years and am quite happy with it. However, the car is getting long in the tooth, and I do not think the 1.5 engine will survive beyond next March (E-IV). The car is on its last legs that is why Hyundai is offering such a sweet deal. Look for something more modern. Before we go further what is your average annual mileage. Unless you are doing at least 15,000km per annum do not look at a diesel. If you are above 24,000pa then a diesel makes perfect sense.

Fiesta has built up a reputation as a drivers car. However, Ford cars have got a reputation of being thirsty and expensive to maintain. Also, you have not indicated as to the monthly distance as well as the nature of travel. I presume you are looking at less than or around 1,000km per month. Have you looked at the Swift / Swift Dzire/ Ritz / SX4. Some of these may be within your budget. Going slightly offbeat the Logan is also excellent value for money. The Champion here is the Diesel and not the petrol!

In terms of cost of maintenance and ease of service I must say that Maruti-Suzuki and Hyundai have a lot going for them.

sgiitk2009-06-03 07:11:21

There is a ltd edition Fiesta with a good exchange scheme costs on road 6.65lakhs on road mumbai and come with velvet types soft fabric and mp3 compatible music system inclusive on the EXi features which makes it good entry level trim .

thanx for the information guys. sqiitk, im a maruti fan and owner myself but the swift dzire is not the car i like. its looks are horrible and its not comfortable at al.. the SX4 is nice but way above my budget....im looking for something which is high on performance and ofcourse handling.... its good to know that fiesta is a drivers car... but will indeed look into its cost of maintenence...

Well cost of maintainance is next to verna petrol also now there is a maintainance scheme by ford just like GM and it can be from 2-3 year depending upon your decision and number of km travelled.

rssh can u tell me more about the cost of maintenence of ford? where can i find more info on this scheme. It would be nice to not think about servicing for 3 yrs :) sounds like a good scheme along with its new offer.

Hello friend,

If you like the Fiesta, just go for it. But keep in mind that, the maintainence cost will be on the higher side; almost the double of a maruti. Also the resale value of ford will be terrible, since you are opting for a PETROL from Ford.

I feel that, the so called 3-year maintenance pack is a trap, where many people will go for it. The fact is that, for the first 3 years or the first 50,000km, the car will not need any major replacement, apart from regular service and oil change. That's why the car companies are giving out free maintainence packages. And just after the package gets expired, we will need to replace many expensive parts. This will make deep holes in our pocket.       :-(

I would suggest you a SX4 VXi. It will be within your budget. Also, it is more spacious than Fiesta. You can avail heavy discount, since you will be able to exchange your old maruti 800(in the form of loyalty bonus.) If your budget allows, go for SX4 ZXi, since it offers ABS and airbag as standard feature..

carispassion the sx4 is way above my budget. its too expensive compared to fiesta. can you or someone else please tell me more about the maintenence cost of ford and the 3 year maintenence scheme.

The maintainance scheme is called SSP and they will service the car for 2 or 3 year change oil ,filter ,add anti rust coat and polish the car . Wear and tear part like clutch and tyres aren't covered in it.

rssh, that sounds like a good scheme from ford. I would like to take advantage of such schemes, so that i dont need to bother about maintaining a new car, after a period of 2 or 3 years. Do any of the owners know how much they spend on maintenence?

Ralf, the maintenence cost of ford is very low. I own a fiesta since over a year now. All you need to do is make sure that you do your servicing in time and take care of your car. If you can manage that from time to time, you can minimize the cost of maintenence of any car.