Juggernaut

Diesel hot-hatch

Hello Fellow members,

I'm planning to go in for a new hatchback;  and a diesel one at that.   The reason for the shift?

1. My 8 year old 1.3 Ikon (75k kms) is giving waaay too many problems since the past 1.5 years (I guess she's done enough).

2. My office is moving away from the city center.   Come August & I would be clocking nearly 65 kms a day!

So, I guess the best option would be a diesel & personally, I like hatchbacks.   May be for the rest of my life, I'd have to own sedans / SUVs - I wanted to enjoy a hot-hatch for now.

Also, my budget is not very high.   The OTR price of the car needs to be within 6.5 lakhs.  And I do not like anything coming from the TATA stable (and that includes the FIAT cars).   Sorry if I sound biased, but, I do not want to crib about service & quality for the rest of my EMI years.

So, that leaves me only with two options:

Suzuki Swift

Hyundai Getz CRDi

I test drove both the options.   And mahn ---- does the Getz CRDi moooove.   I'm head over heals with her performance and looks like I've made up my mind on it.

Wanted to check for quick opinions, user experience, feedback etc.

Thanks, Juggernaut (Bangalore)

Getz diesel is ok & the present deals Hyundai is offering, makes for a sweet deal but remember its nearing its end of life cycle.

Swift diesel on the other hand is a hot hatch & packs a punch in diesel guise.

Still if you want to stick with Hyundai, in some time, i20 shall be coming with diesel, should be a good option then.

Also, Punto is around the corner, give it a try if nothing else!

Getz is very high on performance. If you like it, just go for it. The only sore point is that, it doesn't come with ABS or Airbag, even as an option.

Ritz or swift are also good options, and they come with ABS as an option. The main plus is that, both of them have higher seating position when compared to Getz. Also, the fuel efficiency and resale value will be better than Getz.   

The best option would be to wait for Grande Punto, it will have more features than Swift or Getz, is better looking, ride and handling is expected to be the best in the segment(among diesel cars).

Fiat has improved its A.S.S. and it is evident from the fact that Linea is doing well.

Juggernaut, I pity you, driving thru' B'lore traffic is nightmarish enough. If I were you, I'd use the public transport for a daily 65 kms commute. Don't you have Volvo a/c buses in B'lore, though a little expensive, think of the amount of good you'd do to yourself and your health. Getz CRDI is fine, if you have a liking for underdog's like I do. Also have a look at the Ritz VDI DDIS/Swift VDI, they are the most diligent choice's at present, or wait for the Punto 1.3 JTD.

Well, Getz CRDi has great power. But other than that, it is not so great in other aspects like handling, braking, etc.. i20 diesel would be most probably out of your budget. You can have a look at Swift VDi, it only a tad less powered than Getz but is good in handling, and other aspects that satisfies a driver. It is cheaper to maintain and has better resale value.

Well' date=' Getz CRDi has great power. But other than that, it is not so great in other aspects like handling, braking, etc.. i20 diesel would be most probably out of your budget. You can have a look at Swift VDi, it only a tad less powered than Getz but is good in handling, and other aspects that satisfies a driver. It is cheaper to maintain and has better resale value.[/quote']

Well I don' t think 35 bhp is a 'tad' less power.

And Getz CRDi is an excellent handler as well.

Well I don't think you should go for the Getz as the braking is not good and lacks initial and when it bites the wheel lock up and it very scary trust me though I loved its response after the 40kmph and its joy to use it but it doesn't make sense with all this power you won't get milege . When the i20 diesel launches Getz will be gone . Thing required for gets to be champion is it needs bigger and better brakes , a little hard suspension to get those speed tamed , ABS essential and wider tyres to make that torque put on road effectively.

Or else the swift is the best diesel hatch today it has option of ABS and you can put alloys and wider wheel aftermarket which equates to the price of stripped getz diesel

Or Wait for the Punto but you don't like tata so forget it but have a look.

Thank you everyone, for your suggestions & feedbacks.   Let me give my opinion on the various options suggested.

Pls do not get me wrong here, I'm not against your comments, I truly appreciate it.  But, these are just my clarifications on why I'm tilting towards the Getz CRDi.

Suzuki Ritz VDi - Personally, I feel this is for a slightly older generation.  Probably for a family of 3 or 4 (husband, wife & 1 or 2 kids).   I'm currently single and would like a more sporty hatch.

Suzuki Swift VDi - The plastics in this car are very low grade.   They've definitely cringed on the plastics to achieve what we Indians luuuv - value for money.  Also, the engine is alright, but really not peppy.   There is a lag before the turbo kicks in.   I liked the Swift, till I test drove the Getz CRDi.   The two engines are from totally different planets.  Getz' turbo kicks in at 1950 rpm & that's amazing in city traffic.  So, plastics & a lethargic engine (compared to the Getz) are two negatives for the Swift.

Grande Punto - Like I've already said, I'm not for the FIATs & TATAs.   Nothing personal here, just that I've heard one too many stories about the state of their service netwrok & the overall quality of the cars.   In fact, Concorde Motors recently had a stall at my campus.  You would not believe, the interiors of the Indica Vista is waaay better than the Fiat Linea.   The Linea in Europe, I'm sure has much better quality interiors, but in India, again, they've given what we Indians luuuv so much, value for money.   End result, the plastics were so bad, the a/c vents were partially melted & then cut away.   The interior beige reflects onto the windscreen (even when it was just parked).   There was a Vista right beside & it's interiors were of much better quality plastics.   This company just does not push the right buttons for me.   I get the creeps when I think of delivering a car off a TATA showroom.   So, I'm afraid I'll have to rule out Vista, Linea, Palio & the Grande Punto  (only because it is sold by TATA).  Again, I do not have anything against the TATAs.   I have great respect for Ratan Tata & his vision for Indians.   But just that, when I'm putting in my money (for the next 4-5 years), I want complete piece of mind & some amount of quality product.

Volvo A/c buses - Well, I'd love to use them, but their connectivity is not great as yet.   My office is not yet in a Volvo route.   Even then, most of the Volvo's leave from Majestic (and there is not one that gets me from MY home to my office).  So, that's ruled out as well.

Hyundai i20 - Like many of you have already mentioned, the i20 diesel, which is due by September will be way over my budget.   It is indeed a lovely car, but, one should have the budget as well, right?   It will be around Rs 8.20 lakhs on road (whereas the Getz diesel costs Rs 6.20 lakhs on road this month due to the insurance free offer).  Also, the i20 might have only a 88 bhp 1.4 litre diesel engine, which will definitely not be able to match up to the Getz CRDi.   Apparently Hyundau does have a 1.6 litre diesel CRDi, but, thanks Indian government policies, any engine over 1.5 litres for a diesel would attract heavy tax - which many car manufacturers would obviously try & avoid.

Ford Fusion - Don't like the design too much.   Also, I used to find the Fusion 1.6 top end as soon as it was launched a bit of a solid car.   But, over the years, localisation & cost cutting measures have definitely taken that away from the Fusion.   Now, it's just as good as any other hatch.  It's a great car, but the design is a 'you like it' or 'you hate it' kind of a thing.   So, I guess, I'll pass this one.

Why Getz?

- Best in class engine (it has the Verna CRDi egine).  110 bhp & 240 nm torque @ 1950 rpm.

- Quality of plastics are of good quality.   It's on par with cars like the Verna, Fiesta etc.

- Interior space is good for 4 adults (plus the rear seat backrests can recline, just like the front seats).

- Understated overall design (not to catchy or conflicting design elements).

Negatives in the Getz CRDi

- Brakes are average.  After a while, if required I might upgrade the rotors & discs.

- Tyre size in small for the power.   I intend to upgrade to 15" 195 profile tyres the very same day as I intend drive out of the showroom.

- Old design & might be phased out.  I totally agree with this, but I guess I'll live with it (the engine totally makes up for it).

Well, these are just my statements.  Don't mean to hurt anyone or get personal.   Pls feel free to write back.

Well tata/fiat should read you, having a opinion of their products even without owning one should be scary for them, but then you have already decided on the Getz then you should go for it, you plan to keep it for 4 years, could be a problem as the Getz may go out of production by then, however resale value on the Getz diesel would be relatively fair. The Black color looks good, I have seen some Getz on the road with a crome add on grill which looks like the one on the City, looks good.

@Juggernaut: You are my type<meaning we like underdog's, to hell with everything else>. Go ahead and buy the Getz CRDI and enjoy. Don't forget the pic's when you get your car; there are good discount's to be had on the Getz CRDI , enquire before you buy.Durango Dude2009-05-29 13:19:32

@juggernaut

You are right regarding power of the swift diesel. Many people here just see the technical specification on the paper and claim that the car is powerful. What they dont see is the torque at which it is achieved. Like everybody is saying that jazz will be powerful car cos it has 90 bhp engine, but they dont see is that max power is achieved after 6000 rpm, while i20 achieves 80 bhp at 4800 rpm. So specs on paper dont tell you much truth. That said the swift engine though less powerful will be more refined and efficient and would do well for the city driving.

Anyways congratulations on the decision. Getz is a good spacious car. Dont worry about the service bcos its a hyundai and they pretty good after sales service.

One recommendation.

I dont know if it can be done but try replacing the faux wood interior with normal beige ones. Faux wood does not look too good on getz dash.

You are going to be one happy person if you buy that Getz CRDi. That car is probably the ONLY Diesel Hot Hatch available in India!! If you like it, Go for it!!

the advantages of swift vdi over getz crdi

1. swift vdi consumes less fuel than the getz crdi.

2. re-sale value of swift will be better than the getz.

3. swift is more vfm deal compared to getz crdi.

but the getz crdi has an insane engine  with unmatchable performance...so if your heart is bent on it then go for getz crdi...currently some discounts are being offered on getz crdi !!!

Hello Juggernut,

As you are looking for a hatch, that too for a crowded city like Bangalore where bhp's are meant on paper on not on roads!, i would like to recomand Skoda Fabia Classic 1.4 TDI.

The on road price of this car would be around 6.5L which is around your budget.

Why Fabia -- Firstly Let me advise you that Iam using Fabia for the last 10 months. At this price you get many features of Sedan, plus the comfort of a sedan.

About the car-  I was told that the first batch of Fabias are entirely imported. Even the battery comes from the Czech plant. The service intervals I

The OTR price Bangalore of even 1.4Tdi Active (Base Variant) is not in his budget of 6.5Lakhs.

The above variant retails at 7.04 lakhs OTR Bangalore.

Source New Buyer's Guide.

So Fabia's out of Consideration if he wants to stick to his budget.

That leaves Swift VDi and Getz CRDi

Getz retails at 6.43 L while Swift can be yours for 5.76 L.

Both are OTR prices for Bangalore.

Getz has better 0-60kph and 0-100kph figures compared to Swift but in-gear acceleration turns the Game in favour of Swift.

So if you are going to use it Mostly in Cities, go for Swift and if mostly on highways, then go for Getz.

Also you are going to clock 65kms daily, so it would be better if you choose Swift over Getz since MJD is more Fuel efficent (1.8kpl in city and 2.9kpl on highway) as per New Buyer's Guide.

Also you can choose Optional ABS on VDi as against CRDi.

@sudeepd - Skoda is also offering a discount of around 25k. If at all somebody is interested for this car, an extra cost of around 25-30k can be absorbed over the budget.

Thanks Uneet for sharing your views on the Skoda Fabia.   Like Sudeepd said, this is slightly over my budget.   As it is, I have stretched by budget to 6.5l (on-road price);  I might not be in a position to stretch even further.   However, I'm sure the Fabia's a lovely vehicle.   It was definitely part of my short-listed cars.  Price was the only factor that I had discount it.   Of course, I had to overlook the noise it creates!

As for Swift diesel,  I'm still very confused.   I was very impressed with the suspension set-up on the Getz.   It made me feel much more confident.   Whereas, the suspension on the Swift already felt like it needed tweaking - not sure how it would be post say, 25k or 35k kms.

The Swift also has a waiting period - which I'm not sure if I want to do.   If it was a prim & proper car (read European version Swift), then it would have made sense waiting; but, considering, it's just about average in build quality, I might give it a misss.

Also, I was noticing soooo many Swifts with one of the brake lights (tail lamp)not working at all.   These are ZXis & VDis.   I'm irritated that Maruti is compromising on the quality of the bulbs even after the buyer puts in nearly 6 lakhs of his / her hard earned money.   This, I see only with the Swift.   I'm yet to see a Getz / Fabia / i10 / i20 with such defects.  All these things makes me want to run away from the Swift.

(No offense to Swift owners)!

I was noticing so many Swifts with one of the brake lights (tail lamp)not working at all.   These are ZXis & VDis.   I'm irritated that Maruti is compromising on the quality of the bulbs even after the buyer puts in nearly 6 lakhs of his / her hard earned money.

The Vehicle Manufacturer (in this case MS) cannot be blamed for such defects since the bulbs are manufactured by some other brands.

I too have seen some Hero Honda Bikes which are Newer than my Scooty Pep (June 2003). I have not yet replaced the Tail light Bulb. The odometer reading is 30,500+kms.

So does it mean that Hero Honda Quality is poorer than TVS?

The reason for you did not see the Tail lights of Swift not functioning is that the owners did not get them serviced regularly.

@juggernaut...completely understand your dilema..i think its better you wait for about 2 months and pick up the fiat punto 1.3 mjd. it will be a better car than the swift and i think you will get a decently loaded version for about 6.5 to 6.8 lacs otr. Even though many might say that fiat's reputation is bad etc, i think fiat is very serious this time around and the amount of lineas on the road inspire confidence! I'm sure the punto will be a better seller than both the fabia and the jazz.

Hey man,

If you have made up your mind for the getz crdi, then go for it. Hyundai are known for a decent build quality, good sales and services will have you a peace of mind for the 4 to 5 years you intend to keep the car.... Enjoy....