rkravikumar

Xylo - Feedback

Hi,

I have Hyundai Accent (Tornado). I am planning to buy a new car. Since our family is big-6 people, I want to buy a SUV/MUV. My budget is around 8L.

I have TD xylo. It was good. But the quality of the plastic was very poor. I have driven diesel car before so no clues on the performance :-( Also I am little confused about which version to choose. E6 seems to be good one but alloy wheels doesn't come with that. I am ok to pay the difference (deducting the drum cost from Alloy wheels cost) but the dealer has not agreed for this.

Any suggestions??

Regards

RK

Well Xylo is a good diesel car and its engine has segments highest power and if you find E6 to be good then go for it and add alloy wheel aftermarket . You can also look at the base Scorpio and Safari.

Thanks Mehul, Crazy Cat, Tanmay & RSSH.

I have just come across a G4 Innova, 2008 Apr. Accessories added were LCD, Reverse Sensor, Music System, Seat covers (normal). He is quoting around 8.75L. Is it worth?

REgards

RK

Being a happy XYLO owner (E8 version Seven Seater), I strongly recommend this vehicle for you. I am quite happy with the comfort, capability and economics of XYLO when compared to Innova. You can see my other posts exclusively on Xylo and about my experiences with this new Mahindra vehicle. For carrying 6 adults in absolute comfort is, currently, possible only in a Xylo. Take a test ride and opt for top end E-8 model, which I feel is the best offering VFM-wise. I have a E-8 Seven Seater, Red vehilce and we came back recently after a non-stop trip to and fro OOTY (from Tirupati), a distance of about 600 km one-way. Absolute delight to drive. I was driving it all along to & fro. And, my wife and two kids (they are no longer kids .....) are eagerly looking forward for our next looooooong drive....I strongly recommend it dear...

I agree with Ramesh. I drove the Xylo E8 a while ago and was impressed. Especially with the interiors. I know the plastics are a little poor, but as compared to other UVs in the similar range, they are miles ahead. Go in for it!! You will be happy. Just do take care while driving quickly.

The Xylo E 6 or E 8 should be a very good buy for you. The E4 is too basic. April sales show two Mahindra made models viz. Bolero and Xylo in top ten saleswise.I have also driven the E 8 quite a bit and its marvellous.The door trims and dash plastics are though of abysmally low quality.There are waiting lists for 3 months or more for the Xylo, however.

Thanks All.

I have decided to buy the Innova. I have finalized the price to 8.5L (2008, G4, 16K, 8 seater, Champaigne gold, LCD, Pioneer Music system, Reverse sensor).

The reasons for my decision are:

1. I cannot wait for 2 months to get my Xylo delivered.

2. I couldn't get concrete information on the mileage (people have quoted between 7-11kms)

3. On the other hand, Innova is a proven car in the market with very good performance

4. Good resale value of Innova. Xylo is new & not sure how much depreciation would it cost down the lane.

Hope to get the car by the weekend. Hope my decision was right. But even otherwise I have to live with it now :-)

Thanks once again for your inputs/suggestions.

Regards

RK

The one thing which gets my goat with M&M is their advt which keep on harping on "outgrow your sedan"

Will you stop it. They did the same with the Scorpio.

The guy who looks after their media marketing seems to hate sedans or what?!!

First they make a SUV and ask people to consider the days of sedans are over, when that did not take them anywhere the got the XYLO - phone?!! MUV and want people to outgrow their sedans.

Why can't they come out with some mature and quality advts like the land cruiser or something which really shows what their SUV/MUV can do. God MRF has done it using the Scorpio still these guys keep on harping on something which is not comparable.

Yup,  even I would tilt towards the Innova without a question on my mind.   When it comes to the overall quality of the car, Mahindra & Toyota a two extremes of the spectrum.  Mahindra is giving us what we exactly asked for - a biiig car, preferably diesel, accomodate 6+.  

The Scorpio & the Xylo qualify all of the above points & period.

Whereas, for the Toyota, these are just the basic requirements.  To this they add two teaspoons of Toyota quality processes, Toyota safety procedures, Toyota market value retention recipy & Toyota peace of mind.

Good choice RK.  You'll enjoy the prestige & peace of mind of your Innova for at least the next 4-5 years  (beyond which it would get too expensive to maintain - diesels remember).

well the reason why mahindra says outgrow your sedan is because they have only suv's in their portfolio's so they want the people who are upgrading to sedan should instead buy their suv's specifically !!!!!

The one thing which gets my goat with M&M is their advt which keep on harping on "outgrow your sedan"

If Mahindra comes out with an Sedan its advt will be

Outgrow your MUV

Innova is way better than the Xylo. The Innova's finesse in onroad manners is simply unmatched by any other car in its segment. Its quality is light-years ahead of the others.

I strongly support your wise decision.

Your decision to buy Innova is absolutely perfect. There is just no comparison between a mahindra and toyota vehicle. Have you received the delivery of your vehicle. Do post some pictures. especially from the inside.

[ (beyond which it would get too expensive to maintain - diesels remember).

Pray please educate me on which grounds do you state that a engine manufacturer of Toyota's stature will have mainteance problem in 4 to 5 years time?

I mean lets have a clear ground on which you base your view. Maintenance is a ongoing aspect to any machinery.

The life of a engine depends on the maintenance and the usage. The more the usage the more the mantinance. The more the judicious usage the more the life.

Well, There was a sudden twist to the whole story.

I got an irrestible offer on a Ford Ikon. I work for one of the biggest software services company in India. We have a employee car scheme wherein we will be able buy a car through our company & pay the EMI to our company which is completely tax FREE. The only issue is that the car will be in my company's name. AFter we pay back (in 3-5 years depending on our choice) they will do a name transfer. One of the employee who bought this car in Jan 09 had left due to some reasons. He had driven for only 4K kms & has not even done the first free service. He had fitted keyless entry, Sony Xplod & done sunfilm. I have got this car for 4.21 L.

It's almost like a brand new car (note - there is no name transfer required as it will continue to remain in our company name).

Meanwhile, the innova person also got a good deal 11k more than what I quoted. We thought it would be a win-win situation and decided to go our way.

I will post the pics soon.

Thoughts???

Thanks for all your comments.

Regards

RK

If your budget is 8L then you should consider the option of Safari, Scorpio and Xylo. Xylo is yet to prove itself. Scorpio is more manly than Xylo. Safari is expensive to maintain.

M&M net soared 152 % (Source Business Standard) for the Q1, as the mighty Xylo sales took off on a high note from the showrooms. M&M posted a net profit of Rs 400.9 crores during the April-June 09 quarter up from the same period of the previous fiscal mainly due to the Xylo and its tractor models recording strong sales. The growth recorded was 29 % while the industry average is 1.6%. Sadly its exports were down 65 % for automotive and 38 % for the tractor segment. The Xylo sales have touched 15000 units since its launch. The Refreshed Scorpio and the Bolero are continuing to sell well.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The price of the Xylo was increased by Rs 20000, while that of the Scorpio was reduced by upto Rs 80000 and the Bolero by Rs 35000 so further price cuts were ruled out. The reductions were mainly due to the recession that resulted in reduced raw material prices.

So the Xylo may repeat another success story for M&M, which has created successful models like the Bolero and Scorpio. They simply seem to know what the customers really want and expect, though the component quality (plastics, switchgear, fit and finish) need vast improvements.

anjan_c20072009-08-01 18:16:42