sparshq

Delhites, Chevy Cruze is here!!!

Hey guys, sorry for not being online since a few days, 2 days back I came across a WHITE COLORED CHEVY CRUZE being tested in SOUTH EX 1 in NEW DELHI!!!!!

It was in the opposite lane so no pics, all Delhites keep your eyes open!!!!

Any idea when it is expected to be launched and at what cost ?

Is it going to replace the optra ( which i am considering to buy ) or is it going to be a higher segment like civic/laura ?

If it will cost just a little more than the optra would the launch be accompanied by a further discount for optra ?

- The Chevy Cruze will be launched by Sep ~ Oct '09.

- The price will range between 14 & 16 lakhs (OTR) depending on the variant.   Compare this to a Civic-manual-petrol, that retails for Rs 15.25 lakhs OTR Bangalore, the Cruze suddenly sounds like a steal.

- The Optra brand will be retained (both, petrol as well as diesel).

- The Cruze will share the same diesel engine from the Optra / Captiva.

- Last, but not the least - Chevy as a brand is committed to India & is here for the long haul.   There is no reason for buyers like us to worry.   You can get good discounts on their products (while talking to Chevy dealers, act like you're interested in a competitor's product) ;-).   Their drive to ensure that the after sales service is reeeallly cheap is quite commendable.  I for one, trust them!

This car is sold under the brand "Holden" in Australia and is advertised to be a small car!! There was a sale last week where Holden were selling this for a starting price of 22,000AUD OTR including Rego and Insurance.

So if its priced similarly then i believe this one is in line with the Linea top end and ANHC basic models.

- The price will range between 14 & 16 lakhs (OTR) depending on the variant.   Compare this to a Civic-manual-petrol' date=' that retails for Rs 15.25 lakhs OTR Bangalore, the Cruze suddenly sounds like a steal.

[/quote']

well i am certainly not convinced if it is a "steal" at this price as you reckon. the pricing is the key i guess.

if it is priced in the same territory as the civic/altis , it surely is to take a beating.

chevrolet does not command the same class as honda/toyota ... atleast in india.

they should price it between the optra-civic range to sell decent numbers.

Any diesel demands respect in this range the optra proved to be a good seller of the MAgnum diesel but was left due to its age just like the octiva and their is no car except the Verna and Laura which enjoy monopoly in 9-15 lakhs. Also GM's schemes are very good and their will be many takers.

I dont understand how this car is in the class of the Civic range! Civic is more expensive and i see the same model of Cruze is being sold as Holden Cruze here Chevy logo is replaced by the Holden logo and that is the only change in how the car looks.The price ranges from 20,990 to 23,990 here that is the on road price.

So if we calculate the exchange rate it would be somewhere in the range of 8 to 9lakh in rupees. I am not sure if this car is manufactured locally in India though. If its a complete import then it would be priced more than the Civic!!

I dont think it will have any buyers if that is the case!!

I dont understand how this car is in the class of the Civic range! Civic is more expensive and i see the same model of Cruze is being sold as Holden Cruze here Chevy logo is replaced by the Holden logo and that is the only change in how the car looks.The price ranges from 20' date='990 to 23,990 here that is the on road price.

So if we calculate the exchange rate it would be somewhere in the range of 8 to 9lakh in rupees. I am not sure if this car is manufactured locally in India though. If its a complete import then it would be priced more than the Civic!!

[/quote']

Nice to know the prices of Cruze from the land down under, Sharash.  21k - 24k.   Now if you could let us know the price range of the Civic & Corolla from Australia as well, then, I guess the comparison would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

i am told the honda civic too costs only USD 18000-20000 in USA. Most cars are more expensive in india apparently. So i would not be surprised if the cruze is near civic range here. In fact one dealer mentioned that it would be around 14 upwards here.

002_11chevycruze.thumbnail.jpg

Recession may be the biggest news on the year around the world, but as far as Indian automobile market is concerned, there isnt any as far as new launches are concerned. This has been the year of car launches and we have seen some big launches in the past 7 months which includes, the Fiat Linea, Fiat Grande Punto, Hyundai i20, Maruti Ritz, Maruti Estilo and Toyota Fortuner.

Soon to join the launch bandwagon would be GM who have two big launches planned for the year, the all new midsize saloon Chevrolet Cruze and the small car Chevrolet Beat. GM will launch the Chevrolet Cruze in the India in a few weeks time to co-incide with the festive season. The small car Beat will follow soon after the sedan and will provide the much needed sales momentum to GM in the biggest volume segment in India.

GM Chevrolet Cruze was first unveiled at the Paris Motor show in October 2009 and is designed and developed to be sold around the world. In India, the Cruze will take on the tough competition from Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla which have the upper midsize segment almost to their own. Internationally, the Cruze comes with 3 engine options starting with the 112 bhp 1.6 Litre 4 cylinder petrol, another 1.8 Litre 140 bhp petrol and the 2.0 Litre turbocharged common rail diesel engine from the Captiva SUV.

Its not yet certain which engines will come to India but the diesel under the hood will give the new Chevvy a distinct advantage against its more established rivals.

Source - CC

Today saw Overdrive show on CNBC TV18, that was the indian version & i guess Betrand Dsouza was there who was driving that car on A'bad- Vadodara expressway which is near to Gm's Halol plant. The car was looking very good but he said that the car wasnt as spacious but was rather cramped due to its shorter wheelbase. I guess its due for its launch in 1st week of September itself but a source from Cubiccapacity says that it will launch in october. According to OD, it has 1.8lt petrol & 2.0lt 150bhp diesel from Captiva, and 2variants i.e LT & LTZ(which also features sunroof as an addition) and top model is estimated at around 14lacs.

Am sure like OD, ACi too will be having much details regarding the car.

What are the engine specs of the australian model and the feature list.?

Here are some specifications of the 1.8l Manual Petrol Cruze:

Engine Specifications  1.8 litre, 4-cylinder 16 valve DOHC ECOTEC petrol engine  
Capacity (cc)  1796  
Power  104 @ 6200 rpm  
Torque  176 @ 3800 rpm
Transmission  5-speed manual transmission  
Fuel economy (L/100km)  Man: 7.0 / Auto: 7.5
Brake Assist (BA)  Brake Assist (BA)  
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)  Incorporating: Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Electronic Brake Assist (EBA), Traction Control System (TCS  
Suspension, front  Front suspension: MacPherson strut with offset coil springs, gas pressure dampers and stabiliser bar  
Suspension, rear  Compound crank axle  
Steering  Hydraulic power steering  

All this at 23990 drive away!
sharash2009-08-31 05:04:11

I dont understand how this car is in the class of the Civic range! Civic is more expensive and i see the same model of Cruze is being sold as Holden Cruze here Chevy logo is replaced by the Holden logo and that is the only change in how the car looks.The price ranges from 20' date='990 to 23,990 here that is the on road price.

[/quote']

Nice to know the prices of Cruze from the land down under, Sharash.  21k - 24k.   Now if you could let us know the price range of the Civic & Corolla from Australia as well, then, I guess the comparison would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

Sorry mate! I have not enquired about the Civic here, will try to find out. But i am sure its way more expensive than the Cruze. Also there is a heavy discounts going on for the Hondas here!

Hey Sharash, is the Holden Cruze selling well in Australia.

Well here is the video of the CNBC TV18 overdrive show where the Cruze is test driven. Check it out & it also says that only 150bhp diesel engine will be coming to our shores for now.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/video/newsvideo.php?autono=413339∂=3&con=prevbluesapphire2009-08-31 07:08:45

hey guys........

I dont know if this is the right place to ask or its a offtopic

I was thinking of buying cruze but i am worried for one thing i.e. their current scenario of bankruptcy.

can u guys tell me how much risk i would be taking if i buy this one.

will it be safe

whats the future of general motors or chevrolet?

thanks a ton

@tinny9, Although the cars from the Chevy stable are quite good in terms of quality of the product, the A.S.S is nothing much to talk about. The resale of any chevy branded cars is pathetic in the market. I would suggest you to wait for the car to arrive in India, take a test drive, research about the pros and cons of ownig a Chevy and then decide.

I personally love this car for its looks, the gadgets and the powerful engine which is plonked in it.  Would think twice before laying my hands on this one if i were in India though.