simple_sy

SeekingAdvice: i20 is not fit for Indian Summers

Hi,

I'm facing a big problem with my Hyundai i20. My i20's AC has failed over 6 times in the past month. Hyundai's company owned workshop Hyundai Motor Plaza in Delhi has repaired it 6 times - including replacing the compressor, the sensor, repairing the wiring, thermostat, and a whole lot, but the AC still is not working. They now have replaced the thermister and claim the problem is solved.

In summers, Delhi reached up to 43 degrees in summers. Since the i20 sports the i10's engine and AC, yet is a bigger, heavier car, I think that the AC is not able to handle the load in this heat. So, after a while, some part of the other fails.

HMIL is not giving any clear answers. Ashwini Bhatt, the Area Manger for Service and Spares, HMIL says they are at a loss and the team from Chennai is working on it. They said they will not return the car till they drive it for 200kms and don't face the problem. They've taken it out three times for such trials, each time the AC failed.

It's been over a month and the car is still with them. This morning I got a call from the service manager saying the car's AC failed again yesterday in the trial run.

My question is - in your opinion - is it possible that the i20's AC is not fit for Delhi summers where the temperatures are 42-43 degrees constantly for months? Or does it seem to be a problem that just my car is facing?

Rgds,
Saurabh Kejriwal
saurabh@rezonant.net

If all doesn'tgo well write to autocar india in main site about your problem and they will contact the head of Hyundai directly and find a cure for problem .

Cyrus tell him how to contact aci.

Had the AC been unfit for Delhi summers, AC's of all i20's sold in Delhi would have failed. The problem lies somewhere in your car only perhaps with the electricals.

Insist on a replacement car and ask for a complete change of full AC unit. Also write them a letter insisting for above, while documenting the entrie case history date wise.

no there ain't any problems with other i20's..yes the A/C is not that effective..but this is unlike your problem..do get ask for replacement..

Hi,

Yes, I got a replacement car. They've returned the i20 too, but now it's raining in Delhi, so it might not be a good time to test the AC. They've replaced the compressor and the thermistor.

Are you sure the i20's AC doesn't have a problem? I've met 2-3 more people who own i20, and they say that highway drivning at 43 degrees and no sunfilm has given them a hard time with their ACs, and one of them has faced the same AC failing problem where HMIL had to replace the thermister.

Please tell me the procedure of posting the query to Autocar India main site. Thanks.

I think the small compressor may not be able to hold much capacity given the cars size also hyundai might have tuned the compressor for lesser time than in i10 because the engine power is required to pull the massive car.

well i want to put on record my reading about a/c cooling in delhi summers--the cars whose engine's displacement is more than 1.8 litres will only cool effectively in delhi summers....the reason for such observations-

1. my zen 1000 cc and in afternoons the car's a/c is like a cooler throwing cool air but not able to cool the cabin..its only in evenings that the a/c cools the cabin effectively.

2.travelled in my friends logan 1.5 and the a/c cooling was just about ok in the afternoon...not too good though i have found logan's a/c too be an absolute chiller.

3.my corolla 1800 cc and the a'c cooling in afternoons is good though some heat is still felt sitting in the cabin even with the a/c on full blast.

4.my respective friends innova 2.5 and scorpio 2.2 had excellent a/c cooling even in afternoon and no part of body was feeling the heat and infact had to turn down the a/c to lower fan speeds cause the cabin got really chilled in both the cars !!!!!

I've called the helpline and emailed the customer care more than 6 times, each time I get no reply. There is no one approachable at HMIL apart from the Area Service Manager who I'm in touch with anyway.

Can someone help me get email addresses of some top brass? Meanwhile, I'm in the process of getting the Autocar subscription, so they can help me with this.

Thanks.

Sorry Anjan. Nothing is available on the company website, except one email address and the helpline phone no. Both, I've tried. I've tried getting contct details from everywhere. No avail.

Rgds,

Sy

I am forwarding some contacts from HMIL here<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hyundai Motors India Limited <?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

Contact Person: Mr. Naga Rajan (Manager) <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Mobile: +(91)-9840518805    

Address: Block 3 No. 1,North Raja Street Alandur
Chennai, Tamil Nadu - 600 016 (INDIA) Website: http://www.hmil.com

For any queries & customer complaints, please contact our Customer Care Executives, at our Call Centre at the following:

Telephone Nos. : 1800-11-4645 (Toll Free - Only from MTNL & BSNL numbers)
098-7356-4645 (For all GSM Connections / Landline other than MTNL & BSNL numbers)    
Email Id. : cr@hmil.net

Hyundai Motor India Ltd Headquarters Address. Plot No: H-1, Sipcot Industrial Park, Irrungattukottai, Sriperumpudur, Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu 602105.

Hyundai Motor India ltd. Marketing & Sales Headquarters A-30, Mohan Co-operative Industrial Area Phase-1,

Mathura Road New Delhi
- 110044 ...

Hyundai Motor India Ltd.
Contact Details
A-30, Mohan Co-Operative Industrial Estate
Mathura Road, New Delhi - 110034
Tel: +(91)-(11)- 41678800
Fax: +(91)-(11) - 41678811
Complaints & Queries 1800-11-4645 (Toll Free)
+(91)-(11)-26924645
E - mail- cr@hmil.net
Website- www.hyundai-motor.com
www.global.hyundai-motor.com