rahul1810

Fiesta SXi or SX4 ZXi?: Its ANHC!!

After months of thought my father has finally decided to go for a new car. He is looking for a car in 7-8 lakh zone.

His requirements

1. Space

This cant be compromised. My father goes in a car pooling system so when goes to the office there are always 5 people in the car. So please inform me about elbow room of these 2 cars. Also kindly provide some info about headroom as the passengers are quite tall, aveerage height will be nearly 6 feet.

Please note elbow room and headroom are important

2. Power

Again since he is car-pooling the car should have the grunt to carry 5 heavy passengers of around 80 kg each with ease.

3. Maintenance

The car should not be very high maintenance. Little bit is okay but it shouldnr be meteoric.

4. Ride Quality

Decent ride quality is expected.

So in all he wants a hassle free car which would service him for next 8 years.

PS: I have done some research and have found the following point

1. Fiesta ASS cost is decreasing by the day. Good step by ford.

2. Even though the SX4 is largest in dimension space is pretty much the same.

3. The toyota dealer where we get our innova serviced said that SX4 diesel is round the corner and we might get some interior upgrades. But he isn't too sure. Told me to wait for 2-3 months.

4.Though people say that SX4 sales are down i is still the second largest selling petrol car in this price range.

5.We have also thought of jazz because it has the same space, enormous boot but small dimensions, so easy manoevrability. Where does Jazz stand in front of these two?

The car will be used for at max 200 km a month so no need of diesel. There is a bimonthly trip to jaipur or panipat, so luggage area is important. I have not considered Linea, because firstly it doesnt have that much power and secondly I still dont have that much faith in fiat, I would rather wait for 2 years before buying a fiat.

Since you have seen decrease in maintainance in ford so after sales service shouldn't worry much . I think the interior space for good comfort and 5 people especially is good in the fiesta because the centre person in sx4 has to deal with high transmission tunnel and the rear arm rest sticks out.  I can't comment on Jazz as it isn't as loaded as these two . Also today in newspaper it came fiesta has free insurance so you can opt for alloys or save the 30k making it a good deal.

The protruding transmission tunnel has been sorted out in the 2009 model. Also they have improved rear visibility by swift like headrests.

Also jazz and fiesta have the same features list, none have ACC and none have alloys. SX4 is above both of them in this regard.

Well I didn't see the transmisiion tunnel in the new sx4 but have seen the swift type headrest. The thing with Jazz or say Honda is when it is loaded (5people) the sot suspension scrapes the belly on speedbraker which is seen and experienced with Honda city cars . The handling of fiesta is much better than Jazz. Frankly speaking I found 3 people in sx4 having less elbow room than fiesta , if you get good deal on sx4 then buy it but the FE will be lesser than the  3 cars listed.

Felt SX4 rear seat to be atleast as spacious, if not more spacious than Fiesta.

The fuel efficiency of Fiesta and SX4 are similar. However the Jazz will be slightly more fuel efficient than the other two.

The total ownership cost considering purchase, fuel charge, maintenance, resale value   etc will be the least for SX4. Its ground clearance will also be best suitable for Indian roads. The comfort for back seat middle row person will also be not an issue, If you do not select the Zxi version with extra leather seat option. This is because, the back seat middle hand rest will not go inside fully with the leather seat option. So better to get the leather seat installed in the after market.

I endorse all the replies to this topic.

Fiesta:- Upright backrest and short wheelbase make long journeys tiring. Also consider stiffer suspension in the updated model in interest of teriffic dynamics.

SX4:- Cramped legroom at the rear. My height is 5ft 10in and my knees press quite a bit against the front seats. It's powerful enough. Rear middle passenger comfort is definitely an issue, even without the option of leather seats. Ride is bumpy due to the stiff suspension.

Jazz:- Stratospheric pricing compared to hatchbacks. Immensely spacious and comfortable, peppy engine too. The suspension is clunky, and ground clearance deteriorates when loaded.

I think you should go beyond these and look at the Linea. It's excellent build, fabulous ride and handling and top-class interiors promise to keep both driver and passenger happy. Diesel has enough grunt and refinement isn't bad either. Only real problem will be real headroom and Fiat's struggling service.

Another interesting option is the Verna. It's spacious, airy, has soft suspenson and pretty well equipped. Auto adds to the convenience. Diesel has terrific performance and fuel-economy is impressive too (even with auto). Hyundai is well-known for it's service too. Only glitches are low seats and lack of airbags.

considering your requirements,go for a jazz.though it's not the best of the performers and some may consider it as expensive,, the quality and satisfaction that a Honda gives is way ahead of the competitors.the engine is peppy,,requires less maintenance(go and ask at Honda showroom and ask why the price is so high?? and he will tell you the parts used such as iridium spark plugs etc.,etc. and others which need least maintenance),,and is incredibly spacious.....and its a hatchback,,so easy maneuverability.else go for a sx4,which gives you peace of mind of owning a maruti suzuki.only if you want out and out performer then go for a fiesta.

Jazz is definately a next generation design and it will remain new for quite a few years to come. For performance too its a fair deal. But then, it is your decission. Just finallise and get one home.

bingo!!! 

Following devellopments have taken place recently. Ford Fiesta is the strongest contender while jazz has been thrown out of competition, with its elder brother City substituting it.

The buying decision has been deffered to diwali time as each of the cars listed here will face som or the other changes by that time.

Some of the high placed sources in honda have said that after a higher specced version of city launch, most probably named as city v-mt, the price of s-mt might come down.

SX4 Diesel/CNG might be launched and there are rumours of fresh interiors.

Fiesta will launch a new SXi variant.

Also the diwali offers at that time from all the manufacturers will help in getting more discount.

Considering car pooling and space needed for 5 persons of approx 80 kgs each, sedans are a serious no, no from my recent experience, consider the Mahindra Xylo: I think it'll have comfort and grunt for all the lard one needs to lug around. Indians are competing with whales for the amount of blubber one accumulates with the passage of time. Yes, yes, I hear it, this is totally off topic.

@Cyrus: I learnt it the long <1100Kms, long> and hard way last week end in the confines of a Getz. I guess the car dealers should throw in 'liposuction' instead of teflon treatment as freebies, with mud flaps and mp3 players. LOL.

Well my dad did one of the most unique tests with these cars. Atleast one of his colleagues own one or the other car that were being compared i.e. the City, Fiesta, SX4, and the Jazz. He was getting confused because of mixed responses he was getting of all the cars listed above and was not able to clear his mind for one. So he did the most unexpected thing.

On suggestion of one of his friend he exchanged his car and his friend fiesta for a week.  Later he did the same with Jazz, ANHC, and SX4. This gave him the actual idea of FE, drivability and what he will like and dislike. And indeed after a month he was sure of what car he was going to buy.

Following are the points he noted:

Fiesta

Is really a good handler. Very good to drive in the city and silent engine too. A very good quality product. But a huge downside. It has space that he felt to be lesser than i20. While sitting in the car he felt it difficult to believe that its a sedan and not a hatchback. This car was not built for car pooling. Best AC in the segment though, cools like hell.

SX4

While he felt like he was in a hatch in a fiesta he felt he was in SUV in the SX4. Engine was OK. Sometimes it felt like someone had suddenly woken it up from sleep, because there was a sudden boost of power at around 2000 rpm. Interior quality was ok and not too bad after all the bickering he had seen on the internet on the pages i had sent. Noisy tyres, but they would have been changed anyway. What he thought was that though it was offering ACC he did not really see any benefit of having it in the car except to say that it has one.  A design fault was found though. SX4 is the largest car in dimension, but the interior space does not show that. The side of the car is curved, because of which, though the room at hip is pretty good, shoulder room is not.

Jazz

This car really caught dads attention. In short he simply loved it. The AC was good, space just a little less than city, and rivals the SX4. Comfortable car, with ease of driving in the city. Most fuel efficient and hard to find negatives, except in his opinion the large headlights. Worth the money he thought.

City

It was everything the jazz was but in a half meter longer version. The power was simply the best in the class, with an easy pull from traffic, extremely necessary for peak traffic. FE was the second best. Both the hondas were extremely refined and silent engines.

He drove his usual routes to check if there was bottom contact because of low GC and there was no problem, so that area was clear.

So finally after four weeks of testing four cars he reached his decision, to buy the jazz. He thought that he will book the jazz and i fully supported him as i have with my views in the forum. he thought that he will soon go and book Red Honda Jazz from Ace Honda. But this story was not over yet.

Suddenly comes the all decisive "mummy power" vetoing the decision. Said she wanted a sedan no matter what, Honda Jazz was not one. After a week of me trying to convince her in vain I gave up and my father decided to what he felt was the second best. He decided on ANHC. But i stopped him from booking the car, telling him it was coming with better interiors soon. So just yesterday my father walked into the Honda showroom, booked a  Bold Beige Honda City S-MT with 1 lakh rs. booking amount. The dealership did not agree to give any freebies, even after lots of trying, but still dealership experience has been pretty good so far with prompt responses.

We will take the delivery on 29th as my father is going to australia for a week. Thus ended a long long discussion of our family regarding which car to buy.

This is the FE data.

1. Jazz 13.4 kmpl

2. City 13.0 kmpl

3. Fiesta 12.8 kmpl

4. SX4 12.5 kmpl

Congrats rahul that you finally chose your car and yes apart from being overpriced its a good product and Honda brand will never let you down in ownership experience. And are you buying the one with refreshed interiors and have you seen those interiors, Are they changed from previous one, are they better and give luxury feel??? coz by seeing it in pics, i cant make out any difference.

But i think V variant is better, it looks good and complete with those alloys and chrome handles.

The new interiors are lighter and do give a sense of better quality though there is only marginal improvement. What has  improved the most is plastic quality. Yes V-MT is complete, but my father felt that silver touch in the door panels was not too his liking, and also our budget was of max 9 lakhs, so we didnt want to stretch for those poor looking alloys.

Actually i am studying in manipal, so i have not seen the car in flesh, but i have seen photos in Team-BHP.com If you wish i will shre them here, or post the links. Their you will clearly see the difference.

EDIT

Mods can you please rename the topic to an approprite title

rahul18102009-09-18 12:17:31

Everybody was in agreement for the bold beige, so decided on that.

Not sure about alloys. That is dads decision and since i wont be driving it much(i am home for just 3 months a year) i wont meddle into that much.

I need a suggestion. Which is the better parking sensor. 1.Xenos 2. Red Soul

Thanks to everybody for their well wishes. I have got the chasis no. Honda gives you an option of which tyre you wish to put. Some of them are pathetic while some are really good. I was given an option of goodyear and Michelin Energy. Obviously i went for Michelins

I am taking reverse parking sensor from Xenos aftermarket. Does anybody have any review of how they are, and the price or if they know any better product at the price range of <5000 they may suggest.

There was a desire to go for the black and fit the front grill as an accessory. Looked vey nice. But decided against as black requires heavy maintenance

262r151.jpg