ruckfules_niks

I20 or something else?

Hey guys !

I would be buying a new car soon and recently test drove the i20 crdi... its a great car and i think its decent value for money (though kinda expensive)... i liked the urgency in the engine and think its way better than the Punto... i tested the punto multijet and the 1.4 petrol and i think both were a BIG upset (me being a fiat person)... the car lacked the energy and pep and felt suffocated inside... the fit and finish on the punto is HORRIBLE and the plastic feels too cheap ! so punto is a no no ! I wanted to buy the i20 crdi Asta... it costs 8 lakhs on road... but the problem is that my dad thinks he could go for a bigger car for that range... the linea is out of the question cause its seriously underpowered... no honda and no maruti... so do u think i shud go ahead with the i20 crdi? or anyother suggestions?? (keeping in mind my restrictions)

I think 8 lakhs on the i20 is not worthy...The linea 90 bhp multijet is not underpowered...maybe you would have driven a new vehicle that is yet to have a good run-in and all test drive vehicles are driven by many types of people so those cars lose their smoothness..for 8 lakhs you could look at the Optra magnum, new Octavia, Verna

you can check out the verna if airbags are not imp to you(personally i would go for the verna) Also, give fabia a try. You may consider the innova and xylo if you want bigger cars.

I think you would be better off waiting for the cruze.

For a price of 8 lacs i suggest you go for the in for the fabia rather than the i20, yes the i20 crdi has a pretty good engine but its not surely worth the 8 lacs you are gonna spend on it, it can never have the build quality of the germans or the interiors and equipments as good as the skoda. do go in for the skoda for its solid build,superb premium equipments and a good car for its price overall. the handling too is good.

i20 for 8 lacs? That's very pricey.

Why no Honda and Suzuki? I think you can consider Jazz at that point. Though it is not a big car, it offers space of a big car.

Linea is not underpowered, you can try one. Else go for Magnum, if you need plenty of power.

Thanks a lot for ur views guys... my dad is now wanting to go for a ford fiesta 1.6 S petrol now... is it good enough? does it give good equipment for the cost? Its a great car to drive... but what about the space and equipment level compared to the i20?

One can get a decent feature packed sedan for this much money, a hatch after all is going to be a hatch!

If you are a Hyundai fan & don't bother about VFM, i20 is the way to go!

Fiesta 1.6s is an excellent drivers car, equipment levels are lower than i20 but driving pleasure is unparalleled.

Evaluate other options too!

Hey guys !
I would be buying a new car soon and recently test drove the i20 crdi... its a great car and i think its decent value for money (though kinda expensive)... i liked the urgency in the engine and think its way better than the Punto... i tested the punto multijet and the 1.4 petrol and i think both were a BIG upset (me being a fiat person)... the car lacked the energy and pep and felt suffocated inside... the fit and finish on the punto is HORRIBLE and the plastic feels too cheap ! so punto is a no no ! I wanted to buy the i20 crdi Asta... it costs 8 lakhs on road... but the problem is that my dad thinks he could go for a bigger car for that range... the linea is out of the question cause its seriously underpowered... no honda and no maruti... so do u think i shud go ahead with the i20 crdi? or anyother suggestions?? (keeping in mind my restrictions)

Dear Ruckfules_niks,

Compare the feature of your choises then you decide.

i20 comes with latest 1.4 diesel engine and 5 star safety .

Your budget is for ASTA model whcih comes with 6 airbags & ABS (no cars having this features),  electricl mirror, steering audio controls.

If price is the concern for you then you can consider the magna model. Which is having ABS brake only.

Overall i20 will be the better choice than linea or ford

which car will be good on long drives?

For long drive diessel cars are best.

Also good safety features better choice.

You can read the safety test reports in below website which is meets european test requrements.

i20 scored best in hatchback.

So if you concern about safety go for i20 ASTA.

it will be little bit costly but features & safety factures are good.

For the same price you can plan linea or jazz but safety features are less.

for long drives u need to have a sedan..... go for linea dsl.... good number of linea have been sold by fiat..... if u dnt like linea then opt.. magnum or Mahindra Xylo...... atleast u ll be able to say , i m comfortable with long driving.......

i20 Diesel Asta O is expensive I agree but not for what you get, to say its loaded is an under statement, it's brimming full with all the gizmo's this side of a merc save the paddle's. If you want more metal for buck consider the SX4 ZXI, I think that's the only other car that comes to mind. One more thing, what ever others may say, Linea petrol is a serious no, no, diesel is OK but in the diesel Emotion + pack it's almost 9.9L otr. I'd say if you like the i20 CRDI Asta (O) go in for it; other options being the SX4. Both belong to different genre's one a petrol sedan other a diesel hatch. Edit: When one can pay 9 lakhs for a 68 bhp/16 kgm torque 1.4 lit diesel sedan: Ford Fiesta, then why not 8 lakhs for a diesel hatch fully loaded and only a little short space and a stonking 90 bhp/ 22kgm torque engine from same 1.4 liters. I think people are biased against a Hyundai.

Durango Dude2009-07-24 18:19:03

i20 is a good car overall but 8 lacs for a hatch is too much, however good the car be.

Decide between SX4, Fiesta and Linea petrol. I think Fiesta S will be the best option for you since you are keen on a driver's car

i20 is 8 lacs OTR because it comes with both equipments and very good diesel engine which has the performance level of skoda octavia..refinement is acceptable..its very silent inside the cabin unlike linea n fiesta..has excellent sevice back up,availaibility n pricing of spares..go in for sedan only if u need to use those big boots most of the time..orelse nothing comes near i20..

make a wise buy..

For a little more you can get the Linea diesel. Linea diesel is not underpowered like the Linea petrol (I took 5 TDs before booking the Linea). Linea has all features that i20 has and more (Blue&me, my car, FPS). I do agree that some of the plastics are cheap but the MJD engine is better & proven than the Hyundai one.

i20 petrol or diesel?

going in for the asta model...

40km daily running..mostly in the city(about 90%)

or suggest me a better petrol car..i dont like swift or the ritz...

range 5-6 lakhs for petrol and 6-7 for diesel