BHAVIN MEHTA

Alto LXi or Spark LS

I am planning to buy my first car. I am confused between Alto LXi and Spark LS. Reasons: Alto is having Maruti tag, fantastic after sales service network, very good fuel efficiency, and better resale value as happens in all Maruti cars. However, on other hand, Spark LS is more spacious, even at present price, looks luxurious one, 3 yrs maintenance free+1 lac km warranty, Rs. 45000 discount, more spacious, more powerful (995 cc engine as compared to 798 of Alto). Price Alto LXi Extreme model 3.11 lacs inlcuding music system, seat covers, body colour bumbers/mirrors. Spark is Rs. 3.45 lacs excluding seat covers, but with body colour bumpers/mirrors. Spark is more powerful and smooth than Alto. However, Alto is the  most successful car at present (in segment). Pl advise.

Spark is obviously the better car and you like it too, if you intend to keep the car for more than 5 years then there won't be much difference in resale value.

Go for the Spark, you can also consider Santro though.

I would say just stick to the Maruti AltoLXi. Whats new in the Alto LXi Extreme edition?Its a good car and it feels surprisingly solid  compared to Wagon R, Spark,Zen Estilo,Hyundai Santro.and rides well for a small car as mentioned in AutocarIndia.Fit and finish are good better than Wagon R as i am an owner of Alto LXi Celebration edition among other 12 cars of various makes. So i can tell you that its a good buy and moreover its India's largest selling car since 2004.Perfect for driving in city conditions and especially easy for lady drivers and its compact dimension helps it easier to park.Its basically a no nonsense,trouble -free, highly fuel efficient car.You wont get wrong with your decision of buying an Alto as its maintenance is dirt cheap and you would definately love the fuel efficiency figures it gives. Someday when Maruti introduces the new K-series engines in Alto in 2010, then it would also beat the Tata Nano as far as Fuel efficiency is concerned.Lets hope for the best!!!

I own Alto Lxi and i will suggest you to go with Spark. Alto service cost has recently became very high and i am not sure if its due to recession or what but it has became expensive. Basic oil change and service charges costed more than 3000.

Also you will very quickly get fed up with noises, vibration and high load of AC on engine. I think it should have been 1000 cc or 1.1. But sad that its a 800cc which is very bad if you have AC turned on.

I think Spark is best choice as you get the service package for 3 years also, so its very very good right now. Spark is good and i test drive it too no doubts in anyway it has better everything than an Alto.

I got Alto in July 2007 and its doing good but with a lot of sounds and squeeks. So don't get its. Its not worth it. Better get A-Star then..its far more superior than Alto. Lets just not go in an Alto anymore. Its old now!

Thanks.

Also you will very quickly get fed up with noises' date=' vibration and high load of AC on engine. I think it should have been 1000 cc or 1.1. But sad that its a 800cc which is very bad if you have AC turned on.

[/quote']

Most Maruti cars have this problem.

Also you will very quickly get fed up with noises' date=' vibration and high load of AC on engine. I think it should have been 1000 cc or 1.1. But sad that its a 800cc which is very bad if you have AC turned on.

[/quote']

Ya achinth, you're right but this also depends on how one maintains his/her car with timely servicing and also driving manner.If someone intentionally drives at a greater speed over bad roads then obviously his/her car would suffer from all sorts of rattles and squeaks....My alto LXi is 1&1/2 years old but dont face any problems regarding NVH(noise,vibration,harshness) plus my Alto's a.c is powerful thanks to bigger efficient compressorsmiley36.gif and chills the cabin instantlysmiley36.gifsmiley36.gif.And none of the other Maruti cars we own(Swift Dzire ZDi, Alto LXi, Maruti 800 AC, Zen VX, SX4 VXi , Wagon r LXi, Esteem LXi)suffer from NVH and rattles..smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

[/quote']

?

?

Ya achinth, you're right but this also depends on how one maintains his/her car with timely servicing and also driving manner.If someone intentionally drives at a greater speed over bad roads then obviously his/her car would suffer from all sorts of rattles and squeaks....My alto LXi is 1&1/2 years old but dont face any problems regarding NVH(noise,vibration,harshness) plus my Alto's a.c is powerful thanks to bigger efficient compressorsmiley36.gif?and chills the cabin instantlysmiley36.gifsmiley36.gif.And none of the other Maruti cars we own(Swift Dzire ZDi, Alto LXi, Maruti 800 AC, Zen VX, SX4 VXi?, Wagon r LXi, Esteem LXi)suffer from NVH and rattles..smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

Hi swiftvxi06,

All services are done regularly and on time through a autorized Maruti Suzuki dealer. I have full records. Also drive fast in an Alto while AC on ? Are you joking ? smiley36.gif

I am from chandigarh and here the roads are not so conjusted like delhi etc. So I am always driving in top gear with normal speed of 50-70. I am getting good mileage but I am bored with car's internal issues, which gets fixed on every service but again starts within few days. Maruti people can only fix their light weight, low quality plastic mouldings with their plastic screwes which tend to get bad very soon. I am suggesting you to go for Spark and you will not regret as its far better than Alto anyday. Some pros and cons:

1. Spark is newer, much better interiors and exteriors and techy stuff like engine etc.

2. Spark has better safety.

3. Mileage is almost same in both cars but you may get 1 or 2 kms more in Alto but that entierly depends on how you drive. This is the only good thing about Alto i can really think of.

4. Spark has 3 year of service holiday package so no maintainance cost etc. on you. A very big benefit.

5. No load of AC when you drive a Spark. Alto just becomes a turtle when you turn on the AC.

6. No power windows etc. in Alto, you can get power windows and loads of other stuff in a Spark.

Basically Alto is a big body fitted on 800's enigne with a big AC which is taking out all the juice out of the car. So there's no fun in driving the car. No doubt there's a craze of new car which you will get for few months but when you are left behind on road with small car 800 or other cars and you won't be able to get ahead without turning off the AC then you will reliaze that you should have went for something better!

Hope that helps!

Thanks.

spark is better in terms of space,refinement,quality n features..alto is very basic car..i was having alto for four years..it begs for more power!though it has the cheapest maintainance..i would suggest u spark

Here is the reply that I recieved from GM regarding it's 3 year warranty

We have a standard warranty of 3yrs / 1,00,000 kms (whichever is earlier), this is free of cost from the company. Under this warranty you will get 2 free services and for rest of the services you need to pay. However we have a maintainace offer available for Spark, i.e. Chevrolet Promise Cashless Ownership Offer (CPCOO). Please find the details of Chevrolet Promise Cashless Ownership Offer (CPCOO).

Chevrolet Promise Cashless Ownership Offer (CPCOO)

General Motors India is celebrating 5th anniversary of its CHEVROLET brand in India. On this occasion GM is giving is a very comprehensive and unique offer which is first of its kind in Indian Automobile history.

This offer can be availed at the time of purchasing a Chevrolet car (except Tavera & Captiva) from our authorized dealership. This offer will cover all the Periodic Maintenance Services and all other Repairs (please go through the terms & condition below) for next 3 years or 45000 kms, whichever is earlier from the date of purchase of your car, without any cost to you.

Cashless Ownership Offer for 3 years

Parts & Material Expense

Labour Expense

All Periodic Maintenance Services

Nil

Nil

All Running Repairs

Nil

Nil

The only expense customer incur for 3 years is cost of fuel No other expense

Terms and Conditions

What the Owner must do in order to be eligible for this Offer?

1.       Have your vehicle inspected & serviced only at General Motor India authorized service network as per the periodic maintenance schedule services given in the owner