@ Blue if you check Altis will have a better performance on highway specially while overtaking .

altis          civic

20-80 kph (m)     10.99     12.23
40-100 kph (m)     15.82     16.37

Have driven both cars in city! I like the Altis - it has adequate power and GC for city as well as highway! (but then people will say I favour Altis because I own one smiley2.gif)

Altis represents a more steady head while Civic is more bling bling !!Kinshuk2009-12-15 11:08:34

Have driven both cars in city! I like the Altis - it has adequate power and GC for city as well as highway! (but then people will say I favour Altis because I own one smiley2.gif)

Altis represents a more steady head while Civic is more bling bling !!

True, its better for city with good GC and power. Although the engine of Civic is much smooth and has better interiors, but even i would prefer Altis for its price, more features and its newer to Civic.

Its just that my heart still likes Civic but mind says Altis. Even if i own Altis, i will say Civic is better but not a practical buy now.

@blue

I completely agree wit u buddy: engine of Civic is much smooth and has better interiors also better interior quality, its engine is also very rev happy

This was exactly the case when I decided to buy altis.

"Its just that my heart still likes Civic but mind says Altis"

The very first time I drove Civic I was really excited until I stepped on the gas.

Nice pics kinshuk, silver Altis looks good. Mine is also the G variant.

@ bs and goen : Even i agree. Altis was the more practical choice when we bought it a year back.

It has done 16,000 kms till now and has been pretty reliable till now.

Guys I want to ask everyone ..

HAVE YOU NOT FELT THAT ALTIS CLUTCH IS TOO SENSITIVE SPECIALLY IN 1ST GEAR?

this is really worrying me because I dont see any one else complaining about this.

When I pointed this out to a senior technician @ workshop in a friendly manned he confessed that even they experienced this problem but now they are used to it.

The clutch behaviour varies a lot. In a powerful car (with a good torque characteristic) one has to be more gentle with the clutch since engaging the clutch partially does not necessarily lower the revs as much as in a lower powered car.

I drove a friend's Corolla and found nothing unusual with the clutch.

sgiitk2010-01-14 09:24:36

@Sgiitk

Sir i recently drove my friends swift vdi

which has 190nm torque which is more than altis but still its clutch was much better i was not using the throttle but still it didnt knock at all and it was also lighter than my altis clutch.

If you drive the car once or twice you wont notice because the problem is only in 1st gear, only if u have driven the car couple of times in diffferent conditions you will notice it specially stop and go traffic
goenkakushal2010-01-14 11:55:02

I use it almost everyday and my locality is only stop traffic one hardly gets space to 'go' but on a serious note, only once did my vehicle stall in first gear (stopped on a red and when it turned green the car stalled - clutch release issue - was on the 2nd day).

Suggestion: Keep the rev up (very slightly) and you wont experience any problem. (note: you can get a wheel spin if the rev is slightly high and then all the motorcycle people will run for cover smiley36.gif !!)

@Kinshuk: "Suggestion: Keep the rev up (very slightly) and you wont experience any

problem. (note: you can get a wheel spin if the rev is slightly high

and then all the motorcycle people will run for cover smiley36.gif !!)"

It's OK to do this on a gradient, such going uphill, but not required for plains; unless you want to attract attention.

In petrol mostly you need to have some revs up to get going ,in diesel I hardly even touch the acclerator . Its all about torque the car with good torque lower end don't stall with out acclerator.

@Kinshuk: "Suggestion: Keep the rev up (very slightly) and you wont experience any

problem. (note: you can get a wheel spin if the rev is slightly high

and then all the motorcycle people will run for cover smiley36.gif !!)" It's OK to do this on a gradient' date=' such going uphill, but not required for plains; unless you want to attract attention.

[/quote']

Im not suggesting revving the engine like a truck or an old diesel engine...just a little bit will avoid the car from stalling. "Note" should have ideally read "Warning" (my bad)

People some times dont listen your honking and they very merrily carry on walking their bikes in the middle of the road whilst talking on their mobiles...in this situation one has 2 options:

1. Be patient - if you have plenty of time

2. Do something - a little wheel spin helps (clearing the road not the tyres)

@ Kinshuk: Neat and well maintained car you have there. But how do you keep it in such a condition in LUCKNOW. I was there for a few days last month and the road traffice sense is crazy there. And almost everybody drives rash and with impatience.

@5u3zer0: Thanks but you pushed the wrong button when you mentioned the traffic sense & I'll probably end up writing a 5000 word dissertation on this!!

Traffic sense?its more of Traffic nonsense! Its sheer madness! Every time you turn on the blinkers they think you're celebrating Diwali!!

Pedestrians think if they stop walking India's GDP will drop and motorcycle riders are actually WWII dispatch riders delivering urgent messages to the Allied troops on Nazi's Panzer deployment and some play 'speed racer' whilst ogling at girls walking on the sidewalk and end up crashing into a car which stopped at a red light!!!!

The situation in Lucknow is that 80% of the traffic on weekdays is from adjoining districts - people who come here for work. Madness usually reduces in the evening say after 9PM in winters and 10PM summers when these people go back to their towns.

Vacation time is hell - Imagine an ageing car at night with bald tyres, lanterns for headlights, black number plates, 80yr old grandpa driving and 5 adults+4 children as passengers!!

Hope you visited during Diwali or Holi when everyone's gone home and actual citizens of Lucknow- people with 'Tehzeeb' remain - its a different city then!

Vacation time is hell - Imagine an ageing car at night with bald tyres' date=' lanterns for headlights, black number plates, 80yr old grandpa driving and 5 adults+4 children as passengers!! [/quote']

I just read Dr Gupta's comment and also re-read what I had written and thought that above comment isn't really doing its job so a bit of clarification-

The above is not meant to say that 80yr olds cant drive at night time etc. I'm trying to say that at present excluding a few people who are mostly self employed/professionals, the majority of younger lot has moved out the city as there aren't many medium-high to high level jobs available - what remains of the authentic Lakhnavi population are senior citizens and some weirdos like me - who can move out but don't!

So the crux of everything is THE MAJORITY YOU SEE ON THE ROADS ARENT 'The People of Lucknow', they're migrants! (its very similar to the Bombay issue but we're non-violent and generally such discrimination is limited to living rooms!)

Well my friend. Every time we are in Lucknow (at least 10-12 times a year) we find Lucknow roads far smoother,cleaner,  less congested, and traffic far more disciplined. I suggest you pay a visit to Kanpur and you will see (except IIT but then the approach through GT will show my point).

I have nothing against elders driving - my uncle now 92 drives within his colony in Delhi! I agree that Lakhnawi tehzeeb is now on its way out (courtesy the migrants as you put it), and it is regretted by me, and many like me.

@ Kinshuk: Your first post was hilarious but its true. So, what are you still doing in Lucknow or whats keeping you there :), unlike the others?

@ Sgiitk: I was in Kanpur for a couple of days a few years ago but I did not find it as bad as Lucknow. But I guess it would be more or less the same anywhere in Uttar Pradesh.

Thanks 5u3zEro! Im a self employed professional and most of my clients are from overseas. Also though our business is based at Lucknow our interests are in states other than UP and overseas, so it doesn't really matter where I live!

Update on my Altis : Done with the 3rd service(20,000 kms free service) few days back. It costed Rs. 1660 including taxes.

My Altis has covered 19,600 kms in 21 months. Total Cost of Service till now is Rs.2960(1300 for 2nd service).

Ive driven around 3000kms since Nov. 09!

@Tanmay97: I wanted to clarify, 2nd service as per the manual is at 10k or 1year but I have a MAY service due sticker - 6months!! When did you get your 2nd service?