@ kinshuk : I got my second service at 10,000 kms which was around 14 months from the date of purchase.

@ goenkaushal : Yes the difference was around Rs.360. I will look at the break up and let you know.

The dealer said that synthetic oil is used only for Landcruiser(among toyota cars).

I have come across a problem.

I noticed a week back that my cars autolock funcition has stopped working. As in when you step out of the car close all the doors and remove the key the car used to lock automatically within 5 min or so but this is not happening now.

Can any  one explain?

@goenkakushal: Maybe a heat/humidity issue - you can get this re-programmed at the service centre in a couple of mins.

If remember correctly, the manual says one can get the entire locking system reprogrammed as per one's preference - so if you dont like the 5min delay, can get it turned off or 5mins delay changed to 2mins or something!!

Yea.. I remember having read that somewhere.. but it is surprising if such a thing happens without any reprograming.. and I dont think moisture in any way hamper the chips memory, unless offcourse totally unfunctional

20k sounds a bit on the low side, but is definitely not out of the realms of possibility. I know that Civic pads typically last 40k+, so expect similar for Altis.

20k sounds a bit on the low side' date=' but is definitely not out of the realms of possibility. I know that Civic pads typically last 40k+, so expect similar for Altis. [/quote']

Yes Sir thats exactly what i Expected . However if this was told to me at 30k service I would have probably got it replaced but for this service i have asked the dealership not to change the pads. I hope this does not have any implication on my warranty. 

One more question

all 4 break pads wear out at the same time or front pads wear out early?
goenkakushal2010-10-14 11:41:16

Goenka, have heard many Altis owners complain of an early pad wear. Some even got a free replacement from the company, maybe through arm twisting!

Try & push for a free replacement, heard someone had to get them changed  at ~10k kms.

I regret to Inform fellow owners that my Altis broke down last night and refuses to start. I think i have seriously got a faulty vehicle.

Ever since i purchased this vehicle I had problems with break , steering, clutch, rattling plastic parts, horn, music system, and now my wost fear has come true ---->Break Down

all this when toyota talks about "QUALITY REVOLUTION"

smiley4.gif I had reported the problem to totota customer care on 5th dec and the problem was solved on 6th dec. They sent a road side assistance vehicle to my place. The fuel pump was faulty and was replaced immediately at no extra cost.

I think i have seriously got a faulty vehicle.

Ever since i purchased this vehicle I had problems with break ' date=' steering, clutch, rattling plastic parts, horn, music system, and now my wost fear has come true ---->Break Down, all this when toyota talks about "QUALITY REVOLUTION"[/quote']

Its not the same "much talked about quality" anymore. Cost-cutting is sure to show its signs & symptoms.

Yes there is too much cost cutting specially in the interiors department, Plastic switches are very flimsy, and all around fit and finish of the plastic panels and fabric is poor. I noticed a lot of difference when I recently sat in a Civic. goenkakushal2010-12-06 11:29:45

I think the Quality revolution and toyota reliablilty is much hyped (to a really crazy level by top gear) . The Japanese cars are reliable that others but some times people overhype it . I knew that I am buying a Hyundai which is as reliable as Maruti but things like steering rattling cropped up in the early months (now its gone after 2 times replacement of steering rake) .

In modern day the electronic diagnosis of a faulty ECU of any drive train device can be done only at dealership level earlier .In pre era (the era just before Carb ended) a roadside mechanic could solve issues with engine rtc nowadays the cars have so many sensors that they are prone to have faults and a silly fault can make you stranded .  My friend had a faulty sensor by which suddenly at speed the engine was not given fuel .

We need to make reliable electronics to have a reliable vehicle and I see a future were a car has a back up 'sensor' & "ECU" so that one shouldn't be stranded for a silly faulty sensor of error codes.

IMHO Lemons are everywhere - be it Toyota, Honda or any other manufacturer. Its more of a luck/chance thing - whether you end up with one or not!

Just that good manufacturers have a low lemon:good car ratio than ordinary & bad ones.