harmony_603

Best mineral engine oil for Maruti?

Hello Everyone,

I own a 4 year old Maruti Esteem. Currently using Castrol for the engine.

Would anyone like to suggest some other engine oil brand that suits the Esteem ?

Looking for mineral oil and not Synthetic.

Monthly city running is about 800 kms.

Car has run for about 36000 kms.

Car is always driven below 2000 RPM.

There are many other options like Motul / Mobil / Gulf / Servo etc.

Which Engine Oil will help me get an even smoother engine performance ?CYRUS432009-08-21 19:08:51

Petronas in an oil Major (from Malayasia). It sponsors a F1 team as well.

I am using Mach5 in my Accent (20W50) and Magnatec in the Santro (10W40). I bought Mach 5 since I could not get 4l of Magnatec. Initially I thought it is also a semi synth looking at teh SM rating and found out only later it is Mineral.

Any API-SJ/SL/SM oil will do for you. Ratings below SJ have been discontinued by the API.  Avoid IOC MGO as it is only API-SC!

Is it safe using synthetic oil in Maruti 800 1991 model clocked 90KKm. I think the Maruti Oil spec. that time was SG/20w40 plz correct if wrong! As SG rating is obsolete now, which is the equivalent new rating? Synthetics like castrol Magnatec rating 10W40/20W50, any of these can replace 10W40 rating safely? One person told me that in old cars, M800 1991, the gap between cylinder and piston will be more than new generation cars so using synthetic or 10w40 oils will create engine problems and its better to go for original 20w40 or 20w/50 rating..is it true? plz help

You can use s synth, whether it is worth it is a moot point. I will not.

Magnatec is a semi-synth - they clain synthetic technology and not synthetic.

As for oil it is rated mmWnn. As long as nn is greater than or equal to the specified you are Ok. mm is not that critical, and should ideally be lower or equal to the specs (even higher will not do any damage). As for SG any of SJ/SL/SM exceed this spec.

with 90k on the clock if you go for a thinner oil (i.e. mm lower than 10) you may get an oil consumption issue! So both magnatecs are Ok. I will prefer the 20W50 in your case.

As long as nn is greater than or equal to the specified you are Ok. mm is not that critical' date=' and should ideally be?lower or equal to the specs (even higher will not do any damage). As for SG any of SJ/SL/SM exceed this spec.

[/quote']

Sir, As far as I know the mm part in mmWnn specification is the viscosity at 0C and nn viscosity at 100C. So the higher the nn part the higher the viscosity at high temperature at which engines operate most of the time. In this case it will be difficult for high viscosity oil, ie. nn higher than OEM specification, to reach inner moving parts at high speed so it means lack of proper lubrication. So please help me to understand the logic of recommending the use of nn rating higher than OEM recommended. Thanks in advance.

As long as nn is greater than or equal to the specified you are Ok. mm is not that critical' date=' and should ideally be lower or equal to the specs (even higher will not do any damage). As for SG any of SJ/SL/SM exceed this spec.

[/quote']

Sir, As far as I know the mm part in mmWnn specification is the viscosity at 0C and nn viscosity at 100C. So the higher the nn part the higher the viscosity at high temperature at which engines operate most of the time. In this case it will be difficult for high viscosity oil, ie. nn higher than OEM specification, to reach inner moving parts at high speed so it means lack of proper lubrication. So please help me to understand the logic of recommending the use of nn rating higher than OEM recommended. Thanks in advance.

Well explained sgiitk

Any answer for vinfirend??

Myself is also in same confusion.

Shell helix super 10w40/15w40 SL

Motul 4000motion 10w40- mineral SL

Motul 6100 synergie 10w40/15w40 --semi synthetic SL

Total Quartz 5000 15w40 SL

Servo XEE SL-3

Motul 4100 turbolight SL 15w40 semi synth

These are some of the common good mineral and semi synthetic engine oils. Penzoil , petronas are also good but getting them is tough. Too less dealers.

Truly speaking today I have heard first time about petronas oils (never seen the oil cane at any automobile shop), but as it recommended by sgiitk there is no doubt.

I always found the penzoil oils at road brand mechanic shops so I afraid.

I do not know why people run away from IOCL oils.

I do not know why people run away from IOCL oils.

IOCL servo and BP mak has good engine oils but they are hardly available. You can only get to see that in websitessmiley1.gif. Servo and mak has got SL and SM oils of 10w40 grades which are nice but only the SG and SJ (now obsolete i guess) are kept in stores.

Penzoils are hardly available in kolkata. So i am helpless.

So the higher the nn part the higher the viscosity at high temperature at which engines operate most of the time. In this case it will be difficult for high viscosity oil' date=' ie. nn higher than OEM specification, to reach inner moving parts at high speed so it means lack of proper lubrication. So please help me to understand the logic of recommending the use of nn rating higher than OEM recommended. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

Not quite mm when cold in thicker than nn when hot. Also, the only issue is nn must not be lower than that specified otherwise you risk the oil film breaking under stress. A higher nn may in principle (I doubt it really matters) lead to a evry marginal increase in consumption due to higher viscosity.

Not quite mm when cold in thicker than nn when hot. Also' date=' the only issue is nn must not be lower than that specified otherwise you risk the oil film breaking under stress. A higher nn may in principle (I doubt it really matters) lead to a evry marginal increase in consumption due to higher viscosity.

[/quote']

Thank You Sir

Why I avoid IOC, HPCL, BP oils

Very simple they are obsolete and least two generations behind the rest of the world. If IOC still lists MGO as API-SC then need I say more. let me repeat; API (who rate oils) allow for only API-SJ, SL and SM (all other grades are obsolete). Even SJ is obsolescent. The only 'sarkari' oil with any of these specs. as IOC HyundaiGO.

Also, no fun in an xGO. You pay more for oil which may even be a grade lower in specs. There are only two things I look out for - Viscosity and API rating. The rest is just advertising. Just make sure you get the genuine stuff.

What is a multigrade oil in reality?

Say you have mmWnn. W is winter grade. Essentially it is an mm oil with viscosity improvers which do not allow it to become thinner than nn at working temperature. Hence in a cold engine it circulates fast, while still protecting it at working temperature.

In a gear oil you may see the suffix EP (for Extreme Pressure). This indicates that the oil film will not break under Extreme Pressure / Shear as happens in a Helical Gearbox. Make sure if EP oil is specified then you should not use a non-EP oil.

sgiitk2009-12-08 03:45:03

Why I avoid IOC' date=' HPCL, BP oils

Very simple they are obsolete and least two generations behind the rest of the world. If IOC still lists MGO as API-SC then need I say more. let me repeat; API (who rate oils) allow for only API-SJ, SL and SM (all other grades are obsolete). Even SJ is obsolescent. The only 'sarkari' oil with any of these specs. as IOC HyundaiGO.

[/quote']

Sir,

IOCL has got SL ,SM oils but they are not easily available. Even mak makes SL , SM . They are also compatable with ILSAC GF3. Maruti still recommends SF/SG oils. Alto manual says so.smiley1.gif

Maybe but if it is not in the shops then I am not interested. If it is not a current API grade then .....

Oil is a commodity item and not a specialized item. Hyundai also recommends SG - but then I do not want a dinosaur in my car. If I can get a superior oil I will. Incidentally, I change oil once in 10000km or 12 months.

sgiitk2009-12-08 06:07:44

I have a chevrolet beat and it has done 9k kms till date. Of late the pick up of the vehicle has increased but the engine sound has increased. Does it call for an engine oil change ? and what best synthetic oil can i use for it. The car is used in Bhubaneswar and it is quite a warm place . Please advice.

@Soumya: I suspect they advise on 5W30 or 10W40. Have you done the 9k from scratch on the original oil? Then a change is called for.

One point for all: now Petronas Mach 5 is API-SG only.