CYRUS43

Toyota Fortuner Test Drive Report.

There is no doubt that Toyota is making huge margins on the Fortuner, since it shares its platform with the Innova. But when compared to the competition, it appears to be priced well. Now that demand exceeds supply, if anything, Toyota can hike prices in 6 months or so.

Few days back i went out to check Chevy Cruze and came across a pearl white Captiva which came for servicing, and saw its interiors and they were just fantastic, it gives you that luxury feel which a 20lac car should have and combination of black-beige with classy looking wooden strip and decent silver panels was quite soothing, unlik fortuner which looks pretty cheap, atleast i cant live with those features although in looks department this toyota looks great.

And also the brakes and gear lever are pretty cheap, the gear shift keeps vibrating like hell even in Innova it doesnt vibrates that much. Captiva has very good gear lever which looks sophisticated and rich.

Captiva LTZ (19.5 lacs):

Apart from ABS and EBD, Captiva LTZ boasts of:

1. ESP (Inc. Traction Control)

2. HDC

3. Automatic Transmission/Tiptronic

4. Disc Brakes on All Wheels

Toyota has seriously missed majority of the safety features that should have been there. Captiva LTZ on the other hand oozes more luxury and is safer car than Fortuner. Overall, Captiva LTZ dwarfs Fortuner when it comes to features.

Comparing Fortuner to Captiva doesn't seem right, one is a softroader while other is a hard core SUV. Captiva comes from a manufacturer that has bitten dust in its Country of origin & doesn't command a good word in local market too. Heck, the earlier offerings from GM in india have been pathetic to say the least, Im talking about Opel Astra, Chevy Aveo/UVA, SRV, etc. While Toyota is the flavor of the World right now & is at the top, so its in a position much ahead of GM as of now.

Captiva doesn't look good on the outside, is not a SUV, has notchy gear shift, handling is not great & appeal is completely missing. I must admit that it has much superior interiors & features though. Sadly, it wasn't successful in our market & reduced prices are still not going to provide any sort of leverage.

Fortuner is a handsome SUV but surely seems overpriced looking at the interiors & features. Still as a package seems unbeatable, considering the present competition. Other manufacturers will either have to cut prices drastically or bring in more exciting models. Among the present breed of SUV's, Fortuner leads the pack with a good margin.

Whatever the case be, I did not feel compelled to take a plunge because of the long waiting periods & also a revised version in sometime which gets rid of braking issue & has spruced up interiors would entice me more. I could only consider Captiva as a fall over from Fortuner & never went to the market for it solely.

P.S: The attitude of Toyota dealers has gone down drastically lately, there customer dealing are not top notch anymore. This will certainly have a negative impact in times to come, if corrective measures are not taken right now.

Well to me Captiva has better street present and although its a softroader it doesnt looks like that but yes its handling isnt that great and talking about gear-shift yes even i have heard that its vague and after seeing fortuner's i dont think anybody is in position to repeat those words about Captiva's gear-shift. Even the captiva is more comfy at rear but yes it isnt hardcore Suv.

And i dont think that there will be any revised version with better interiors as the interiors offered abroad are same only.

Sadly' date=' it wasn't successful in our market & reduced prices are still not going to provide any sort of leverage.[/quote']

What are you talking about?

Captiva single handedly took out CRV out of competition! In fact, before the launch of Fortuner, it was easily India's best selling SUV alongwith Endeavour. GM reduced prices because they knew they would never ever compete with Toyota on pricing front as Captiva was a CBU. So they decided to clear their stocks and bring the same as CKD from year 2010-2011 onwards with major price corrections (in the tune of 5 lacs).

In Thailand, Fortuner sells at close to 11 Lacs and in India, it's a complete ripoff! You simply don't feel like sitting in a 19 Lac SUV (as opposed to X-Trail, CRV and Captiva).

CRV lost out due to inflated tag!

"Bestselling"! Fortuner has given the nos. Captiva can only dream off. Infact it has ripped open the SUV market. Only Honda & Toyota have so far managed to crack each segments they have operated in.

There is thing called -"lack of choice", Captiva exploited this very Principle but its Fortuner's turn now & it has set a benchmark.

Why reduce prices later on, this doesn't send across a good signal. Toyota never does that here, this also shows that GM were ripping consumers earlier & the advent of Fortuner has come as a blessing in disguise for future Captiva wannabees.

Lets not talk about prices abroad, there's a huge margin difference in almost all cars. Market has given its answer & its a resounding Yes for the Fortuner. Others like Captiva, etc. can only live under its shadow.

Also, a car is not judged on Interiors or features alone. Fortuner is an SUV, lets judge it on its 4x4/offroad credentials. Captiva can't even have a wiff of it offrod.

Talking of X-Trail, etc. what are/were the sales figures, A.S.S, etc? Lets be practical over here, Fortuner is the game leader (period).

I have always maintained Fortuner is heavily priced & doesn't have quality interiors, lacks features, etc. but still leads the SUV pack by a considerable margin. Heck I did not even go in for one due to long waiting periods but if it were to a SUV right now, it would be the Fortuner or else none!

CRV lost out due to inflated tag!

"Bestselling"! Fortuner has given the nos. Captiva can only dream off. Infact it has ripped open the SUV market. Only Honda & Toyota have so far managed to crack each segments they have operated in.

True. Toyota commands respect and deserving so. For how long - we will have to see.

There is thing called -"lack of choice"' date=' Captiva exploited this very Principle but its Fortuner's turn now & it has set a benchmark.
[/quote']

I don't think so. Captiva is a CBU and it attracts more than 100% Customs Duty (inc. CVD, SAD etc.) For a CBU, the pricing is spot on. Think about it, if Fortuner was to brought in as CBU, the pricing would have been in the tune of 25 lacs!

Why reduce prices later on, this doesn't send across a good signal. Toyota never does that here, this also shows that GM were ripping consumers earlier & the advent of Fortuner has come as a blessing in disguise for future Captiva wannabees.

GM knows there is no way in this world they can compete in this segment with CBU's. They had to clear their stocks sooner or later. GM did it right now and for a good reason. Same goes for NISSAN, SUZUKI and HONDA. All of them will opt for CKD route. Watch for the competition in next 12 months.

Lets not talk about prices abroad, there's a huge margin difference in almost all cars. Market has given its answer & its a resounding Yes for the Fortuner. Others like Captiva, etc. can only live under its shadow.

I'm just comparing how we are getting ripped off. After all, Toyota is selling Fortuner at a price of CBU. In thailand, the price gap between Innova and Fortuner is meagre while in India, one could buy 2 entry level Innovas instead of one Fortuner. Market conditions were indeed favorable enough for Toyota and they are taking full advantage of the same.

Also, a car is not judged on Interiors or features alone. Fortuner is an SUV, lets judge it on its 4x4/offroad credentials. Captiva can't even have a wiff of it offrod.

I bet 99% of the guys owning these costly SUV's wont ever do hardcore off roading in their life! For off roading, these people can stick with their gurkhas.

Talking of X-Trail, etc. what are/were the sales figures, A.S.S, etc? Lets be practical over here, Fortuner is the game leader (period).

NISSAN has big plans for India in coming years. I feel they are now taking Indian market more seriously than ever so A.S.S. wont be an issue in coming years

I have always maintained Fortuner is heavily priced & doesn't have quality interiors, lacks features, etc. but still leads the SUV pack by a considerable margin. Heck I did not even go in for one due to long waiting periods but if it were to a SUV right now, it would be the Fortuner or else none!

Thats exactly what I meant to say that it's grossly overpriced. Toyota is a world class brand adored by millions and for some good reason. If I were in USA, I would have chosen Camry over any GM car in that range because Camry over there is damn cheap. But not in India! No way I'm going to blow away 24 lacs on Camry and I will pick Superb anyday over anything else.

Toyota Fortuner won it because of huge brand name and lack of competition. After this honeymoon period gets over and other manufacturers bring in their models via CKD route, let's see what they have in stock. Right now what I can see, Toyota is more overconfident than ever and dont be surprised to see price hikes for Fortuner while Fortuner Automatic is a mere illusion as of now!

For how long - we will have to see.

Well' date=' Im not a fortune teller & believe in living in present.Toyota is the King today, GM fell from grace is starting from scratch, my best wishes with it!

I don't think so. Captiva is a CBU and it attracts more than 100% Customs Duty (inc. CVD, SAD etc.) For a CBU, the pricing is spot on. Think about it, if Fortuner was to brought in as CBU, the pricing would have been in the tune of 25 lacs!

CBU/CKD, etc, etc.....Im not bothered! Its the product & price bracket its introduced in which matters. Bring on the competition.....!

GM knows there is no way in this world they can compete in this segment with CBU's. They had to clear their stocks sooner or later. GM did it right now and for a good reason. Same goes for NISSAN, SUZUKI and HONDA. All of them will opt for CKD route. Watch for the competition in next 12 months.

Again you are getting stuck in the CKD/CBU jargon! As an end consumer this does not matter peanuts to me. GM has played the overpricing game in the past & had to lick its spit. Toyota is the new age operator & plays its cards pretty well. Also, I don't think Captiva's price drop is merely stock clearance, it will never revert back to old prices till there's a raise in Fortuners tag.

Regarding others, Suzuki has burnt fingers badly with Vitara, I don't see much hope for future. Nissan X-Trail has always trailed behind & Honda operated in a diff. segment altogether.

Again Fortuner vs Captiva is a overkill, only similarity is high stance & 7 seats.

I'm just comparing how we are getting ripped off. After all, Toyota is selling Fortuner at a price of CBU. In thailand, the price gap between Innova and Fortuner is meagre while in India, one could buy 2 entry level Innovas instead of one Fortuner. Market conditions were indeed favorable enough for Toyota and they are taking full advantage of the same.

Every manufacturer ripps off consumers, whats new!! GM has done that & continues to do!

Again comparing other markets dynamics to our is not going  to serve any purpose. Toyota is here to do business & profits is its main aim, as is with others.

Everybody takes advantage of market conditions. Had GM been in Toyota's place & Captiva bagged so many bookings, you would have seen their reaction! But alas!!

I bet 99% of the guys owning these costly SUV's wont ever do hardcore off roading in their life! For off roading, these people can stick with their gurkhas.

That's their choice, isn't it!! Sometimes when you venture out in the wilderness, long routes, at night, help is far, such SUV's come handy. These situations may be far in between but SUV's worth is reclaimed.

I don't see any harm in taking out these Brutes for hardcore action. Remember the one who can spend so much to buy should have the heart & the pocket to sustain/maintain it.

BTW,  I haven't come across a single Gurkha in my life. You can well imagine how would it fare during offroading or onroad!

NISSAN has big plans for India in coming years. I feel they are now taking Indian market more seriously than ever so A.S.S. wont be an issue in coming years

Who knows!! Best of luck to them!

Past is a refilection of future usually & Nissan's past in India has been pretty grim!

Again what are we comparing, its funny, Suzuki, Nissan.......! Come on man, get in touch with reality!

Thats exactly what I meant to say that it's grossly overpriced. Toyota is a world class brand adored by millions and for some good reason. If I were in USA, I would have chosen Camry over any GM car in that range because Camry over there is damn cheap. But not in India! No way I'm going to blow away 24 lacs on Camry and I will pick Superb anyday over anything else.
Toyota Fortuner won it because of huge brand name and lack of competition. After this honeymoon period gets over and other manufacturers bring in their models via CKD route, let's see what they have in stock. Right now what I can see, Toyota is more overconfident than ever and dont be surprised to see price hikes for Fortuner while Fortuner Automatic is a mere illusion as of now!

Did I suggest Camry to you or anybody. Again this is turning out to be a lopsided conversation! For God's sake stop comparing U.S. or other markets to India, market dynamics are entirely diff.

Cars are not merely bought for being cheap. There is a lot attached to a car buy. GM has been marauded in the U.S. by Toyota.

Isn't a year long honeymoon a bit too long!!

Other manufacturers haven't shown the heart to go against Toyota so far, so I can't bet heavily on them for the future.

As of now Fortuner is the King & it shall rule for a while.

I myself have ridiculed Toyota for Fortuners high price but that doesn't mean Captiva is better, its a seperate matter altogether. Just because one seems overpriced  & getting all the attention doesn't mean that the other is better.

Well, Im not a fortune teller & believe in living in present.Toyota is the King today, GM fell from grace is starting from scratch, my best wishes with it!

On above point I would just like to comment that in India they are king in just one segment i.e. public carrier i.e. taxi segment (Innova & square box Qualis) nothing else other segments (D or C+) which are personal & considered as personal prestige. So you can not say them as king.

Considering Fortune, yes initial Hype & slightly competitive priceing in comparision to other available cars they are getting good initial response, but including me I know 21 other persons (who were quite enthu to buy this SUV & we are were quite off-roading enthus) who are either cancelling or selling to morons on premium. Once car would come on road, biggest problem of inadequate braking will come out in open, if Toyota has to survive in long run with this car they have to improve a lot on this brute. At least to add traction control & improve on braking atleast at the same pricing, if they want to keep this in the same leadership.

In the end I would like to add, the way Mitshubishi taken advantage by selling crap at 20+L, no one has done, Toyota is next with Fortuner, even they did less that 50% of them.

FYI

Outlander can beat the crap out of  CR-V and Captiva and Outlander on road. Off-Road, its the Captiva that wins.

@speed

I have never-ever seen a more biased review from you.

@Dunno, Qualis did conquer the taxi segment but Innova is well accepted among private buyers.

Altis continues to dominate its category & Fortuner has opened up the segment. What more do we expect from an Auto company!

Each to his own, I know plenty of buyers who are going along with their Fortuner purchase in an unfazed, enthusiastic manner.

Toyota is a pro-active company, will respond to consumer & market requirements as & when required.

@Winner, Please take time to post properly & support your statements with figures/analysis.

Speed, I have to give it to you!

You are real Toyota fanboy! Keep it up.

The fact is, irrespective of Fortuner breathtaking success, Captiva LTZ has better:

Ride

Handling

Interiors

Safety Features

Value for Money

Convenience

As for Fortuner, except for reliability factor, sheer off-roading skills and killer looks factor - There's nothing in it.

There's vast difference between Captiva (Manual) and Captiva Automatic 4 X 4!

Hey don't give it up so quickly, I was waiting for more!smiley2.gif

& you a GM fanboy!smiley29.gif

You forgot the most important aspect of the Fortuner, it will surely outlive its owner!smiley36.gif

Well I don't wanna spoil my party arguing with you! Happy off-roading! BTW, I'm Audi fanboy and I was just comparing Fortuner with Endeavour and Captiva. I look for performance and not the cars that can outlive people! LOL!

Happy B-Day!smiley32.gif 

Wow an Audi fan, which one - A4, A6, A8, R8 or TT? Or generally an Audilicious guy!

Endeavour still sounds worthy competition to the Fortuner.

BTW, Fortuner performs pretty good, Captiva might find it hard to handle it on an open stretch!

For me main issue is - If fortuner worth of money & if Toyota is really milking money just because of certain policies of others for CBU & not CKD - fact shows below about others cars costing in other countries & costin in India that shows a company's policy about its ethics:

Rates of other SUVs in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Thailand on road of same models as available in India with same features:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Captiva 2.0d AT AWD     -           Rs. 22.0 Lacs (15.68 Lac Bhat) Almost nil mark up.

Fortuner 3.0 M/T AWD   -           Rs. 14.0 Lacs (10.01 Lac Bhat) 36% mark up (CKD with 15% duty on parts under special duty scheme with ASEAN countries) add on feature in India leather seats & 6 CD changer music system.

Fortuner 3.0 A/T AWD    -           Rs. 18.0 Lacs (13.08 Lac Bhat) Not available in India

CRV 2.0 2WD                -           Rs. 16.5 Lacs (11.80 Lac Bhat) 21.2% mark up as CBU with import duty 115%

CRV 2.4 AWD A/T         -           Rs. 20.6 Lacs (14.70 Lac Baht) 11.7% markup as CBU 115% duty

Endeavour 3.0 L A/T       -           Rs. 17.2 Lacs (12.26 Lac Bhat) 11.7% markup with CBU 115% duty

Endeavour 2.5 L             -           Rs. 13.4 to 15.8 Lacs (9.59 to 11.26 Lac Bhat