dr_nishu

3-cylinder vs 4-cylinder engines ?

its quite nothing mate. the more cylinder it has, the more POWER, TORQUE, AND HP it will give. and there will be less pistons in the less cylinder it has, and more in a 4 cylinder. so, the more it has, the more mechanical energy you will get pal.

hope you got it.smiley2.gif

-dinesh

dineshzma1162009-10-03 19:39:47

3-Cylinder Engine

Pros

1. Smaller - Good for packaging in small cars where space is at a premium.

2. Efficiency - Generally more efficient, but depends on engine capacity.

3. Cheaper - Applicable to Maruti (production on an exceptionally massive scale)

Cons

1. Refinement - 3-cylinder engines are inherently unrefined due to their unbalanced nature. Vibration and noise levels are higher than 4-cylinder engines.

2. Output - Most 3-cylinders are small capacity motors, so power outputs are generally less. But this is debatable. There are some powerful 3-pot motors out there too.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-10-03 19:54:28

4 cylinder is better than 3 cylinder interms of

1. Better power

2. Less noise

3. Less maintenace

But in future cars will be with 3 cylinder b'caz

1. Good mileage

2. Small cars

3. Less cost

Following new cars using 3 cylinders only

1. A-star

2. Toyoto Aygo (expecting the same for india)

3. Skoda

4. Hyundai new small car

My understanding is that, there is not much difference between 3-Cylinder and 4-Cylinder engines in Terms of performance.

Just compare the Chevy Spark and Maruti A-star Engines, since both are of similar capacity (1 litre approx.) Spark comes with 4-cylinder engine, whereas A-star comes with 3-Cylinder Engine:

Chevy Spark Engine:

Source: "http://www.chevyspark.in/"

Capacity: 1 litre, 4 cylinder, 8 Valves SOHC

Power: 63PS@5400rpm

Torque: 90.3N-m @4200rpm

Maruti A-Star Engine:

Source: http://www.marutisuzukiastar.com/specification.html

Capacity: 998cc, 3 Cyl, 12 valve DOHC

Power: 67PS @6200 rpm

Torque: 90N-m @3500rpm

From the above comparison, it is clear that, the Engine output not really depends on the number of cylinders, but on the technology used. Like:

1) Number of valves used,

2) SOHC / DOHC

3) Intake/ Exhaust Systems (Intake and Exhaust Manifolds, Air filters, Catalytic converter etc)

4) Bore/ Stroke of Engine

However, what I feel is, the 3-cylinder engine should be slightly better in performance, even if the same technology is used. Since the number of cylinders is less, lesser the number of moving parts, and hence lesser the friction. Please correct me, if I went wrong.

carispassion2009-10-04 07:58:47

On comparison,

Advantages of 3-cylinder Engine over 4 cyl:

1) Lesser friction.

2) Better fuel efficiency

3) Lesser Cost

4) Better Performance (Debatable) :-)

5) Lesser Maintenace costs; due to lesser number of moving parts, hence less replacements (Debatable) :-)

Disadvantages of 3-cylinder Engine over 4-cyl:

1) Lesser refinement, especially at Idle speedscarispassion2009-10-04 07:58:19

@ creativebala: I have mentioned the internal friction of Engine.

Strained Engine obviously implies high internal friction of Engine right?

Not really, In our case.

What you have said is partially correct. A strained engine is always less efficient. A less-powerful engine, when pushed hard will be less efficient than a larger capacity engine.

However, when we compare two cars of the same capacity, and similar output, the number of cylinders will not really matter.

As the speed increases, the aerodynamic drag acting on the car increases double fold. Hence we will need a bigger capacity engine to drive the car at such high speeds overcoming the heavy drag!

Power, orque, etc. ate a function of engine size and design and have not much to do with 3- or 4- or more cylineders.

The mroe the number of cylinders the smoother will the engine be. However, modern 3-cyl engines can be pretty smooth, given the crankshaft designs etc.

In order to get continuous power (a really smooth engine) you nee even more cylinders (6/8/12 classically, even 5 of late!).

But surprisingly they are much more efficient & low on maintenance over 4-cylinder ones,proved by our favourite Maruti 800 n Alto's over the Other 4-cylinders siblings.

Thanks to the friction dominating even over the balanced nature of the 4-cyl design(please note 'carispassion' sir).

2nd, the specifications matters not the cylinder configuration. Check out the new Honda Accord V6 with VCM tech.,it has only 3-cylinders working on the Cruising mode & very smoothly too(please note creativebala).   

I consider the 3-cyl coarse exhaust note a bit sporty as compared to the relaxed one of 4-cyl(petrols only,not in diesel's case).

How many of you agree with this !

Does one cylinder less in them do really reduce the emissions footprint to our globe ?

I think its yes & u ?

Does only these are the only reasons for more & more auto companies shifting towards the 3-cyl design,recent being BMW, who unveiled its next-gen cars with high-capacity 3-cylinder engines.

Waiting more answers, members..

On comparison' date='

1) Lesser friction.
3) Lesser Cost
4) Better Performance
(Debatable) :-)
5) Lesser Maintenace costs; due to lesser number of moving parts, hence less replacements (Debatable) :-)

1) Lesser refinement, especially at Idle speeds[/quote']

I am not agreed with the logics you have given. Your logics may be partially correct because as following

1) Lesser Friction - Your Logic implies no cylinder means No friction.

2) Better Fuel efficiency- Your logic is technically not correct. Efficiency is technically measured as Output of engine divided by Input of engine. Do you mean to say that lesser the cylinders in engine, lesser the fuel intake as compared to 4 cylinder engine. In such case moped and scooters with single cylinders will have to be called as more efficient than cars.

3) Lesser Cost- Ride a bicycle, there will be no cost  of fuel. Only maintenance cost.

4) Better Performance : If this is the logic then a Bicycle is better performer than scooter and scoooter in turn is better performer than a car and car in turn is a better performer to truck and truck is better performer to aero plane.

5) Lesser maintenence cost- Ask question to the A-Star and Ritz owner about the servicing cost during each service.

These are theoretical explanations only & are not practically holding what they sounds like.

In an automobile, What actually counts is the Power/Torque to Weight ratios while driving, its not the cylinders for the same specifications,consider the case of 1000cc A* ,Spark or older 1-litre Santro. .

And their service bills shows the real world differences with theoretically opposite.

On contorary to your statement of less cylinders being less efficient ! This myth is even now broken by the Tata Nano over Maruti 800 in terms of better fuel efficiency & nearly similar power figures with almost same weight,lower aerodynamics & 20% less engine capacity.

And just check out the Volkswagen Touareg with V10 engine pulling an full sized Boeing Aircraft in UK,at the company website.

Its an actual practical truth. .

On comparison' date='

1) Lesser friction.

3) Lesser Cost

4) Better Performance (Debatable) :-)

1) Lesser refinement, especially at Idle speeds[/quote']

I am not agreed with the logics you have given. Your logics may be partially correct because as following

1) Lesser Friction - Your Logic implies no cylinder means No friction.

2) Better Fuel efficiency- Your logic is technically not correct. Efficiency is technically measured as Output of engine divided by Input of engine. Do you mean to say that lesser the cylinders in engine, lesser the fuel intake as compared to 4 cylinder engine. In such case moped and scooters with single cylinders will have to be called as more efficient than cars.

3) Lesser Cost- Ride a bicycle, there will be no cost  of fuel. Only maintenance cost.

4) Better Performance : If this is the logic then a Bicycle is better performer than scooter and scoooter in turn is better performer than a car and car in turn is a better performer to truck and truck is better performer to aero plane.

5) Lesser maintenence cost- Ask question to the A-Star and Ritz owner about the servicing cost during each service.

Kindly go through my previous posts as well..

I have tried to explain the points you have mentioned. Please excuse me, if it was not clear  to you.

I have been to one maruti Dealer Workshop yesterday.

They clam that the maintenance needed for 1.2 and a.0 lit K-series engines are almost similar.

However, they are a high improvement over the older gen engines.

For instance,

The spark plug needs replacement only after 40,000km.(20,000km in old Bharat 3 engines)

The number of parts have also reduced (value engineering). Hence less replacements. For Eg. One sensor, doing the same duty which was done by two sensors before.

Quite a bit of the reduction in service requirement is because of the in-general conditions, and the reduction in overall caution and safety. Now that most cars go to A$$ the dealer and company is assured of their margins. The extended warranties again reinforce this trend.

Come to think of it, how many Ambys and FIATs had their plugs changed in 20,000km, and this was in the days of Kettering Ignitions!

No doubt that modern engines (and fuels) are far better, but there is more to it than meets the eye.
sgiitk2009-10-06 04:51:24

Come on Autocar India team members, i am eagely waiting for the solid Explanation on this topic & also many other members are also waiting for this too as this is going to be the Great matter of concern/debate in coming future because Auto giants like BMWs,Nissan,VW,Skoda,etc are coming with such designs for the future cars.

So respected ACI team,you are like Auto Gods to me to whom i'm following since Sept1999, please give healthy answer/Explanation on this topic & also do correct me where i was wrong in my explanations..