rakeshsinha

Compare Cruz with Civic, Altis, Laura, Jetta

GM has launched the new Chevrolet Cruze in India which is important car for them keeping in view their future growth prospects in India. In my view, its agressive pricing coupled with punchy diesel engine is hard to ignore. The car is stylist from inside and outside, is longer than Civic, Corolla, Jetta and Laura. Can we compare cruz with these cars in other important aspects? Is this car is really worth buying? 

Each car has its own USPs and will appeal to different kind of buyers.

Cruz - Ideal for regular high mileage driving due to its diesel engine advantage. Those driving more than 25-30000 kms per year should go for Cruz.

Civic - Now good only for dedicated Honda lovers or boy racers due to its high revving engine, (even this crown has been taken by Laura Petrol).

Corolla Altis - Best for those who want a trouble free and comfortable family car. Good features at nice price point.

Laura Petrol - Current performance champ. Far better than Civic but with high maintenance cost and awful Skoda service.

Laura Diesel - Good high mileage car but at a high price and usual Skoda baggage. For those with lots of cash

Jetta - Solid, comfortable and reliable but a sober car. Best bought with a long ownership in mind.

this is my rating:

Civic

Cruze

Corolla

Laura

OCtavia

Jetta

many ppl like the laura but i dont like the front lights and SKoda service rest everything is great.

Civic is still on top my list!

My heart is just set on the Laura. I think Cruz is fantastic but I just dont find the head lamps and the tail lamps attractive enough. my rating.

Laura

Cruze
Corolla/Jetta

Civic

@akj53in

i agree on your points.

Here is my order:

1) Laura L&K (best car for both power and features but high cost and reportedly worse ASS)

2) Civic ( still its got the appeal, decent interiors and high brand value)

3) Cruze (VFM for sure. Lacks quality in patches)

4) Laura TSI (sheer power)

5) Altis (doesnt suit young folks but overall good car)

6) Jetta (sober and expensive but top quality)

you know i used to hate the new headlight shape of the laura too... but today i just saw one in black and i was bowled over...smiley20.gif, i was  going to book cruze in black but now i will wait till i see one in front of my eyes (they dont even have one on display here in bplsmiley19.gif)...have to wait till friday...but i am relly lookind forward for this comparizon, especuially b/t cruze and laura

@Bala

Posting their pics is not going to change my opinion about this. smiley36.gif

I think Cruze is one fantastic car which will probably win this battle but I still dont like the look of the Cruze's lights. They just seem to chaotic and unrefined.  

Anthony agrees with me too. Woohoo!!
asethi9192009-10-14 07:12:46

Locate your nearest dealer and he will give you the brochure for the comparison between civic. altis. jetta. laura and octavia.. Our cruze beat all of them.

Automatic variants will be out in the jan 2010  followed by petrol in March.

Chevy staff.

@sgiitk

Agree with you sir. Comparison of petrol and diesel is not going to yield a suitable result. For me the first classification that comes into buying a car is price, followed by petrol or diesel. No common rail can beat the smoothness of the variable valve timing engines.

For me this is the list.

Diesel

Cruz

Laura

Jetta

Petrol

Civic

Altis

laura

@chevy staff

It is good that we have some one representing the company here, but please dont use it for advertisements, and false information. The new Civic has a revised suspension, which is evident in the car though not publicized.

@asethi

Even I agree with you. If you look, give smoother edges to Cruze head lights you get a laura.

Chevy design is aggressive while Skoda design is pretty. Its personal choice what you want your car to be.

The best headlights crown in the segment IMO remains with Civic while the best rear is with Jetta.

Locate your nearest dealer and he will give you the brochure for the comparison between civic. altis. jetta. laura and octavia.. Our cruze beat all of them.

Automatic variants will be out in the jan 2010  followed by petrol in March.

Chevy staff.

@Chevy Staff

Glad that we have someone representing chevy but please dont use your sales fundas here. Folks here are quite knowledgeable about cars. So dont make subjective statements like "beat" all cars.

I admire GM cruze (more so for its mkt postioning & pricing)  but here is my feel after driving all cars.

Petrol:

Laura TSI  - No competition in segment for its 160 bhp petrol engine. Other than power lacks luxury elements that are present in elegance and L&K.

Civic - Commands good response for its looks even after being in mkt for many years. Smooth refined drive but cannot take on Laura on power.

Altis - nothing great nothing bad either.

Diesel:

Laura L&K - great car. DSG is a charm both in city and highway. Expensive + maintenance cost fear factor.

Cruze - if not very quality conscious, this is best diesel car sub 14 lakhs.

Jetta - I dont know why, it seems to hit roadblock after 140 kmph. good looks + quality though.

The best thing about Altis is it gives you immediate response unlike civic.

and the laura TSI is mind blowing.

But I would choose the cruze, i had driven a captiva from nashik to mumbai n it was really impressive, I cant imagine the performance which same engine will give in a sedan

I have not driven Cruze yet so cant comment on its engine or driving, neither i have tried Captiva but heard they have brilliant engines.

For me the order goes this way till i drive the Cruze and have a close look at all those features.

1. Laura -For 160bhp Tsi engine ofcourse, german engineering, tank like build, quality interiors and snob value. Letdowns are High maintenance, poor A.s.s and lack of some luxury features.

2. Cruze - For Looks, interiors, engine, features, price.

Letdowns are snob value, poor resale, interior quality decent but not great.

3.Altis - Heart definately doesnt likes Altis, its Civic all the way but mind says Altis. So if its gonna between Altis and Civic then its Altis although Civic is mine and my family's favourite car.

For Toyota brand, features, comfort and nothing else excites so much.

Letdowns poor quality interiors, build quality too isnt that great, engine, handling and ride isnt as good as Civic.

4.Civic - For looks, interiors, good quality plastics, handling, ride, comfort, excellent engine.

Letdowns - Too low GC, high price, Honda Attitude, lack of features.

5. Jetta - German build, snob value, looks, space, comfort, ride, handling.

Letdowns - Pricey, less features, too bad engine.

And if i am considering Cruze then i wont compare it with diesel rather i would compare it with japanese petrols only because although petrol are still better but i need not to pay a premium for diesel rather i am getting it for less price and going for Cruze to me is not only getting diesel engine at less price but main reasons would be Features which are not even available in the likes of Accord or such 18-20lac cars, looks and of-course its VFM tag.

Good news for you - This dealer will have the car for testdrive from today. ( i assume he will start the td tommorow )

Nanavati Motors

Mahavir Nagar,Puna Khambaria,Road, Puna Char Rasta, Opp City Plaza Complex, Surat, 395010.,
Surat, Gujarat, 395010

Tel: <?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE />              0261- 2640233         0261- 2640233 / 34 Fax-2647771

Well yesterday i was talking with this dealer only and he called me on 16th for test drive which the launch was today. But unfortunately i wont get time tomorrow so probably will take TD after diwali only.

Anyways thanks for info.

I want to know if i can get TD from Empire motors tomorrow as its nearby my place and its convinient for me. Check it out if you can.

well, i say- ppl pls keep this thread strictly to the topic (pls i really need this discussion to be as informative as possible and want diff. views as soon as possible) with all due respect to everybody i urge them to ask mr. chevy staff their queries on the thread dedicated to cruze(not in this comparison one)..thanks...

I think we must stick and talk about the topic >

Cruze beats all except laura and jetta.

Jetta i would rule out because you pay more and get less..

1.9 ambiete vs cruze LTZ

what do you say ?

differ out points - overall who wins...

( cruze behind is not so comfortable so i may have to let go of the cruze smiley5.gif  )

In terms of space..i guess laura has a slight edge in the rear seat space department. But if you look at it from an overall package view....cruze will edge out laura. Laura looses out in service, spares cost....and probably looks ( looks according to me.....)

1.9 ambiente vs cruze LTZ-->

the laura ambiente is the lowest varient(in diesel) and ltz is the top varient and the price difference is over a lakh(ex showroom delhi), i wonder is it justified?, here are my takes on some aspects-

-looks-subjective(am really confused after seeing laura in blacksmiley14.gif)

-interiors-Cruze(futurestic), laura(classy)

-ride quality/seating comfort-laura

-VFM-Cruze

-Engine-Cruze's no doubt*

-Equipment level-cruze

-Maintenance-Cruze...Skoda really sucks on this dept. ie ASS( and talking about being expensive -i have a magzine not autocar so i wont take the name lol, in there they mentioned service aspects of various cars take a look at this-Laura->

Engine oil-4000

oil filter-2700-7000

Avg. Total Service cost-9500smiley26.gif

and Optra(Cruze was not out then)- Avg total cost-2500

so even if we double that(which will not be the case) it is still half that of the laure

)