asethi919

Nanos on fire, Tatas may order audit

In what is surely the first blemish ever since wonder car Tata Nano started rolling on the roads, Tata Motors today said it may order a pre-emptive audit check of all 7,500 Nanos despatched so far, taking into account the three incidents of the car catching fire in the last one month.

A Nano caught fire in Ahmedabad last month followed by two similar incidents in Lucknow and Delhi yesterday that put serious doubts on the safety aspect of the vehicle.

Delhi-based Sunil Kumar Panwanda claimed his daughter parked the car outside his home early afternoon on Tuesday but the car was on fire after three hours. Panwanda is livid with the company.

Well it only proves my point once again that irrespective of how much teasting is done there will be some bugs which will show up only when the car is in the hands of the customer!

They claim it is the combination switch in the steering column. Apparently, one incidetn which happened was when tthe car was off. So the lines much have been live. The only things I can think of which are wawlays live are the horn and (possibly) the trafficators.

To me it appears that there is an imperfect contact in the loom!

Does anyone else here think that these accidents could be a result of excessive cost cutting measures taken in form of the cheap quality material used, cutting production and testing time etc. to quicken up the already delayed delivery time.

Lets face it, TATA produces one of the worst quality cars available in India. Whether we accept it or not, its the reality. So if a company like that is out to cut even more cost, the above mentioned results were always a possibility, if not a certainty.
asethi9192009-10-23 07:11:21

so TATA's first few lot products are beta test mules.

Not so. All cars have been xtensively driven for a few 100,000km cumulative. Also Tata having unveiled the car last year need not even be secrative about the shape. It is nature of the beast that QC will be much better in the mules, and also you just do not know what Mr Average Motorist will do with the car when he gets his hands on it. Hence a 'public shake down' is highly desirable.

DD maybe the thread was deleted as it was put up by me later in the evening on 22nd Oct. This thread had been put up in the afternoon and should get precedence.

Tata Motors must not solely depend on owners to augment their R&D efforts. Its been this way for the company since 1999 when the Indica was launched. Their R&D is very slack and earlier there were regular niggling issues with Tata cars. Now the Nano fires have become a mega issue.

Tata Motors must change their perception and do their homework well at their R&D centres. They seem to be losing customer confidence.

anjan_c20072009-10-24 18:42:43

Cervo CRDI' date=' not in the near future. Neither Suzuki/ VW have a CRDI smaller than 1.2L
[/quote']

Yes I checked it now.But it looked cool like spark

Nano diesel would be 725cc.

I am having nano petrol will post some pictures in respective thread.

Note from MOD: You should edit out the quote inside a quote. Also mind your spelling a bit.

sgiitk2010-02-03 08:45:39

@rahul: That's a rather detailed report of what can go wrong with a car. It made involving reading. Thanks for sharing it with us all. For the owner's: it's almost close shave with death; luckily for all there have been no fatalities and morbidities.