rki2007

Technical terms and details-explanations

As we show the Power Band in terms of rave range. This is the range between rpms of peak torque- peak power.

Is there any system to show the Turbo Band (my imaginary term).

I mean at which rpm turbo charger will start and at which rpm waste gate will be opened?

i have noticed Powe brakes written on boot of an ambassador ' date=' what does this mean ? is it disc or a bigger more powerfull drum brakes ?[/quote'] .

Power brakes does not confine to disc or drum brakes. power brakes may be either drum or disc. Power brakes means that are engaged by electric signal rather than compression by hydraulic fluid. power brakes are generally available in heavy vehicles because power brakes are more effective than hydraulic brakes. we should keep distance from vehicles having power brakes. You must have seen or heard of accidents where the car back hits at the back of trucks /buses due to sudden brakes. this is because the car does not get stopped immediately as compared to power braked heavy vehicle.

Power brakes means that are engaged by electric signal rather than compression by hydraulic fluid.

That is ABS.

Power brakes means that are engaged by

electric signal rather than compression by hydraulic fluid.

Power brake system uses a BOOSTER to enhance the pressure/ effort generated (by driver) at break peddle. The Piston of Tendom Master Cylinder is to be pressurized by this hydraulic force and not directly by the break peddle.

Power

brakes are generally available in heavy vehicles because power brakes

are more effective than hydraulic brakes.

Mistakenly All car manufacturers have provided this function in small cars also. All cars above (& including) ALTO LX are having power brakes.

Every car has power brakes , the trucks and ambassador have 2 master cylinders so it is more powerful anyway read your car manual it states the your car has power assisted braking system which will get shut when the car is off.

See to make a car more drivable or more sporty there are 4 factors

CC

Torque

Power(bhp)

gear ratios

In India for small cars the CC part is almost constant . Now it upto the technology of the manufactorer that how much torque and power the engine produces in the rev range so that the engine is reliable and efficient .

Now the deciding factor for use . In India we are absessed with FE so manufactorers normally give medium ratio for 123 gears and then 45 are taller gear to aid FE.

power= RPM ( the tachometer display) X Torque ( in the RPM range corresponding)

CC is the limit deciding which segment the car is going to be used but definately more CC means the engine is more relaxed to produce more torque.

1.2lt TSI give 105bhp

1.2lt VTec gives 89bhp

1.2lt K series gives 85bhp

1.2lt Kappa gives 79bhp so this is the technology different

The TSi use a turbocharger though.

Power brakes mean servo assist (mostly vacuum driven). The basic Amby. FIAT 1100 and its various avatars, M800 etc. did not have servo assist. The 'Power Brake' was added to provide this and reduce the braking effort.

Disc brakes need more pedal pressure than drums, so today almost every car (barring the M800 afaik) with disc brakes (front or all four) has the so called power brake as standard,

RPM is rotation per minute of engine shaft when car is neutral. But when gear is engaged the RPM means the rotation of wheel per minute. 

I seriously doubt it. As fas as I know' date=' RPM is rotation per minute of engine shaft, even if it is not in neutral.
[/quote']

Not true.

Engine RPM is Revolutions per minute at the flywheel. This is not related to car at all. Even if the engine is not fitted to a car, it can be run for testing purpose and while running it will have RPMs. Engine manufacturers run a bare engine to tune it for torque and power at different RPMs and for testing reliability.

akj53in2009-12-08 04:55:05

my ANHC has the specs 118@6500 ...

my query is :

1) what is the exact meaning?

2) why isnt there any turbo lag in petrol cars?

3) does this 118@6500 help in city driving also? i know this means more power but can someone explain it further please.

iam a bit confused in relating bhp and torque............which on of these is responsible for providing acceleration and top speed in bikes ? please help in detail smiley3.gif

my query is :

3) does this 118@6500 help in city driving also? i know this means more power but can someone explain it further please.

THis means that the city attain max power in any gear at 6500rpm (see the tachometer)

You can ain't equipped with turbo so you don't experience turbo lagsmiley4.gif

CC

Stands for Cubic centimetre. It is a unit of volume. 'cc' denotes nothing other than the size of the engine - specifically the sum of the volume of each cylinder in an engine.

1l(litre) = 1000cc

So a 1.2l engine has a size of 1200cc. Exact size may be something like 1189cc or 2020cc. They are rounded up to the nearest full.

Therefore it follows that the bigger the cc, the bigger the volume of fuel that enters the cylinder during the suction stroke. The more fuel you burn at a time, the more power you're going to get because of the corresponding power stroke.

There was an old American saying "There just ain't no substitute for cc". I suppose that makes sense when you look at American muscle car engines. Take the Dodge Viper for instance, it takes an 8.3l v10 to come up with 550bhp whereas Ferrari needed just 4.5l and a V8 to generate about 540bhp. It's not absolutely necessary that a smaller size engine make less power than a bigger one as the smaller could always employ forced induction, sophisticated timing, better construction and so on

to get the most out of the fuel.

my query is :

iam a bit confused in relating bhp and torque............which on of these is responsible for providing acceleration and top speed in bikes ? please help in detail smiley3.gif

1) It means that your Honda City produces maximum power of 118bhp (brake horse power, 1bhp=746watts) at the engine rpm of 6500 revolutions per minute.

2) Generally the petrol cars are not equipped with the Turbo, so they are not having the turbo lag.

But nowadays the Petrol engines are also coming with Turbochargers, to boost their power figures.

3) In the city driving, more than Power the Torque ratings matters more(its the rotational power produced by the Engine at the Flywheel, used for pulling the car)

Hence, Better the Torque, Better the pulling power of the Engine/car is. 

In city driving, the Cars with produce more torque at low engine rpm are usually better to drive.

Ok, A few questions that I have .

1. Can AC be fitted in an old non-AC M800? Will it have any ill effects?

2. BS4 cars have a newly designed Catalytic converter. Can it be replaced on a older car? What are the pros or Cons ?

3. Can power steering be installed separately? What is the cost (if anyone knows)

4. Can I lubricate the suspension joints of the car? What should I use to lubricate it ? ( Heard that grease and engine oils corrodes rubber)

5. Is a free-flow-exhaust meaningless without a proper header and manifold ?

sb-alto2010-06-04 19:11:44

1. Yes. Make sure to put in a heavy duty radiator fan motor as well.

2. Is more than the Cat, ECU also has to be tweaked.

3. Not advisable and most probably not possible.

4. Most joints are lubed for life today.

5. Yes, but you can still get the 'thrill' of a heavier note.

sgiitk2010-06-05 03:28:11

It is generally seen that petrol engines have more power(bhp) and lesser torque as compared to diesel engines.. Why so..?? Does a diesel engine require more torque to be moved around..?? And when the displacement of both the petrol and diesel are almost the same (in some cases the displacement in the diesel engines are much more than the petrol ones), why is the power produced in diesel engines lesser than the petrol ones of the same manufacturer..??

1. Yes, Earlier we've Retrofitted fitted in our Old-1990 Non AC-M800 with a Genuine Unit brought from some M800 DX-AC owner, who've sold it seprately, but after Proper fitting even with Genuine Parts, it gave Drastic results,

-AC working was fine but upto the Vents-level & the Cabin refused to Cool as, the Non-AC M800 was lacking the much essential & better Insulated Upholstery(what the DX-trim features), Tinted Glasses(for better IR radiation protection) & 4th Vent at the left of the front Passenger seat(Major drawback for all M800s).

-FE reduced to 14-16kmpl on Mixed City & Highway driving as most of the AC Compressor draws most of the Engine power & even at Idle it sounds same as at Half-throttle.

-However, Same Radiator Motor have done the job very well & had never let its Temp needle to cross the Normal level.

But one of my Cousin have fitted the Contessa's AC-unit into his Std-M800, with placing Extra fan above the Condenser Coil in addition to the Stock Radiator motor, Dark-Black Glass-film & Seprate Heavy-Duty Blower Unit with 3-Vents into the Dashboard & Results are Simply- Super-Chill Cabin, but with FE of 12-15kmpl from M800.

2. I don't think so ! As Better CC on not so Clean engines will just Choke it.

So, better Fuel filtration & Ignition System are much needed alongwith Tail-pipe Emission filters.

3. Yes & No..

It just depends on the vehicle, on which you wanna Install that, like If its manufacturer have left the provision on it or not, as:

-Take the case of Ford Ikon w/o PS, it comes with Steering Assembly Unit without the Hydraulic Unit, so replacing the Entire Assy with that of having Hydraulic-PS unit is the Easy, Safe & Best solution for it.

-2ndly If you're talking about the EPS-equipped cars, The cars Only which are having Column-Mounted Motor/EPS units are having the feasibilty of Retro-fitting, but not even Single such case have been Reported so far.

4. Yes, but Only after your vehicle have undergone the Severe Adverse conditons, like Long-duration standing(atleast 1 year), after stayed in Flood-water, etc & that's too after propet Cleaning them. 

More/Unwanted Lubrication of the Mechanical parts leads to Opposite reaction, as More Oil & Grease attracts dust & metal particles faster, leading to Unwanted rubbing of the Parts & hence deteriorating them irrespective of their Chemical Reaction Effects. So, better is their Thin-film over them.

5. IMO, Free-flw Exhaust pipe, leads to reduced engine Back-pressure & hence reducing its torque adversely but on the other hand makes the engine more Free-revving. So, Proper Kit is essential.

In small cars like M800 the compressors are pretty small, and in peak summer they will keep you 'not hot' and not really cool. Film etc. helps, but you just do not have the 'juice' for powering proper air-conditioning. Also, the glasshouse of the M800 is rather large.