rki2007

Technical terms and details-explanations

Thanks SG sir , Nishu and Cyrus. Your explanations were great.

1. I was thinking of installing EPS in my Alto.

2. The Maruti 800 belongs to my uncle. It is a 2003 STD model.

Another question

Q) I wanted to install an after-market tachometer(Autogauge). Is it technically recommended ? Does it require a high skill labour ? Will MAS do it ? Is there any precautions to be taken ?

1. I was thinking of installing EPS in my Alto.
2. The Maruti 800 belongs to my uncle. It is a 2003 STD model.

Another question

Q) I wanted to install an after-market tachometer(Autogauge). Is it technically recommended ? Does it require a high skill labour ? Will MAS do it ? Is there any precautions to be taken ?

1. Caught that Idea from your earlier post dude.

But Its Not Possible as its EPS-motor unit is an Imported one & requires Extensive replacement of Steering Assy parts, from the Coloum Rod to the ECU(as it works with Couple of Torque sensors & ECU for its Speed Senstivity mechanism).

Q/A) Yes, CYRUS is rite in that context, seen many times After-market tacho fitted in many cars, Mahindra Jeeps, etc  

All the Costs, fitting Skill depends on the type/quality of Tacho wich you wanna Install.

MASS will not do that, as this work/procedure is Out of their Syllabus.

Ok got it.

I guess I will go for a tachometer soon. Will update.

Ok here is another question:

Q) Can I install headlamp leveling device in my Alto. This device came as standard in all cars just after our car was bought. Will MAS do it ? Any idea about the cost? Does it require a special motorized bulb or anything like that ?

^^ You will have to change the headlight assemblies on both sides and fix the adjusting switch in the dashboard.

Not advisable unless you really really need that feature. The new headlight assemblies will be the costliest part.

Ok, here is another question regarding Catalytic Converter :

Q) As the name suggest catalytic converter must be having some sort of Catalyst inside it ? Or is it ? If yes then what is the catalyst ?

What is the life of such a catalyst ? Will it work lifelong? Do they require addition at some stages?

If yes then what is the catalyst ?
What is the life of such a catalyst ? Will it work lifelong?

Generally Platinum & Palladium metals or Rhodium sometimes are used as a Catalysts in the Cat cons.

They generally enhances up the Oxidation of Unburnt/Incomplete combustion products like Carbon Monoxide & Unburnt Hydrocarbons.

They usually have Lifetime working capability as they(Catalyst metals) Itself are in the Neutral state but only due to their Reactivity-time & Energy absorbing capabilites, they makes the Reaction faster & Come out in their as such state after the Chemical reaction.

Only Menace for them is the Excessive Incomplete combustion in the Engine which leads to Sudden surge of Unburnt Hydrocarbons(sooty materials) which Chokes them & reduces their Working efficiency.

For Diesel engines which emits heavy Unburnt Hydrocarbons, Volvo, Audi, etc use DPF(Diesel Particulate filters) for their Sedimantion(works on same Sedimantation & filtration principle). Later on they are Replaced after the Fixed Service Interval time.

Ok' date=' here is another question regarding Catalytic

Converter :

Q) As the.. . .... ..... ...... ....stages?

[/quote']

Generally Platinum & Palladium metals or Rhodium.. .. .... ...  ....  ....after the Fixed Service Interval time.

Whenever Cat Con choking occurs by any reason like thick carbon particles in C.I. Engines/ oil burning by weak compression (in both C.I. & S.I. Engines) etc. is there any method to clean the chocked Cat-Con or we have replace this costly device with new one?

Alok Mathur2010-06-12 07:38:38

I just got a very detailed explanation of a Catalytic Converter by Dhabhar Sr. Yes, the explanation given above is correct. One point that wasnt mentioned was the fact that the cross section of a cat con is a honeycomb structure with the three metals coated into the structure. The cost and effectiveness of the cat con depends on the amount of metal coated.

The Part is a non serviceable part and should be replaced after approximately 2 Lakh kilometers. The cost of a BS4 cat con is on avg around Rs.13,000 and for a euro 4 vehicle is around Rs.18,000

Generally Platinum & Palladium metals or Rhodium.. .. .... ...  ....  ....after the Fixed Service Interval time.

Whenever Cat Con choking occurs by any reason like thick carbon particles in C.I. Engines/ oil burning by weak compression (in both C.I. & S.I. Engines) etc. is there any method to clean the chocked Cat-Con or we have replace this costly device with new one?

Hey ! That's 1st half line quoted by me to which you've referred above is for Catalytic convertors & the last one(after the dots) is much specified to DPF's(Diesel Particulate filters) which requires very much Early & Frequent Cleaning/Overhaul or Replacement jobs as compared to that of Cat-con's life cycle.

Silencers(even with Cat-cons) can also be cleaned by Conventional Firing-up job, but that Erodes away the Expensive metal layers in their Honeycomb Structure which makes them Less Effective or Totally Ineffective for Emission control.

So, their Replacement is the Expensive yet Better & Effective job. 

Q) Does the ECU gets reset every time I open both terminals of the battery and replug it again ?

Q2) Alto and old WagonR shares same mechanical parts. Alto comes with solid disks in front whereas WagonR has got ventilated disks(of same dimensions). Is it possible to just fit two ventilated rotors in the front of my Alto with all existing setup ? Will I get any benefit ?

1: yes it is possible to fit those.

2: no advantage. The only use of ventilated discs is that they cool off quicker as compared to solid discs.

More useful if you own a sports car, as the brakes have to work a lot, so they get heated. A useless feature in our commuter cars, IMHO.

Q) Does the ECU gets reset every time I open both terminals of the battery and replug it again ?

Q2) Alto and old WagonR shares same mechanical parts. Alto comes with solid disks in front whereas WagonR has got ventilated disks(of same dimensions). Is it possible to just fit two ventilated rotors in the front of my Alto with all existing setup ? Will I get any benefit ?

@winner :

Isnt there any increase in braking efficiency? I am not talking about drilled carbon fibre or full ceramic brakes by williwood or brembo. Ventilated disks are standard in all cars except M800 and Alto. Must be some reason.

Any idea about the first question ?

@sb-alto,

Ans1) It happens just like the PC/Laptop system, as during its sudden Shut-Off the RAM dats goes off while that of HDD remains as such, as Some of the Temporary settings or Records gets washed away(like Trip meter readings,etc) while the Main & Basic 1s remains as such(like Odo-meter reading, Engine working Software, etc).

A2) 1st Reason for its absence in M800 & Alto is cost cutting & 2nd one is their Not so Powerful engines, very limited Top-Speeds & hence Not so High Braking Power required, as Ventillated Disc brakes provides slightly better Braking as due to their better Cooling Mechanism.

But expect them in upcoming 1.0l K-Series engined Alto.

My Query:

Why cars in the Manufacturing plant Pool or Stock Yard are kept with their Wipers in Up-position ?? like,

14mlook.jpg

dr_nishu2010-07-20 20:15:55

@doc

two reasons

1) windscreen is filled with dust and the rubber blades in contact with the glass can get spoiled

2) glass absorbs heat and the temp on glass is higher than in the air , which will spoil the rubber blade

@Nishu

I think the answer is that in case of rain, the water should not accumulate above the wiber. This would not be very good for the wiper. Also it might leave some stains on the glass

@sb-alto' date='

Ans1) It happens just like the PC/Laptop system, as during its sudden Shut-Off the RAM dats goes off while that of HDD remains as such, as Some of the Temporary settings or Records gets washed away(like Trip meter readings,etc) while the Main & Basic 1s remains as such(like Odo-meter reading, Engine working Software, etc).

A2) 1st Reason for its absence in M800 & Alto is cost cutting & 2nd one is their Not so Powerful engines, very limited Top-Speeds & hence Not so High Braking Power required, as Ventillated Disc brakes provides slightly better Braking as due to their better Cooling Mechanism.

But expect them in upcoming 1.0l K-Series engined Alto.

[/quote']

Thanks Nishu smiley1.gif

But is resetting ECU helps solving some minor troubles? Is there a way we can reset ECU at home. ?

P- park

D- drive

R reverse

n neutral

The car can only be started in P and N.

Park does the job of engaging the handbrake.

Dont know about 2 and L