rki2007

Technical terms and details-explanations

@dr_nishu:

P-Park - a 'pawl' immobilises the car. Never engage unless the car is at a dead stop. Many modern demand you be here (with the brake pressed) in order to start the engine. Always, leave the car in P when parked.

R - Reverse

N - Neutral. Similar to P except the Pawl is not engaged. Many cars can also be started in N.

D: Drive. Engine automatically moves up and down the box. Remember the Hyundai 4-speed also has the so called OD button on the shifter, which must be engaged, else it is just a 3-speed box. By the looks of it the original box was a 3-speed, and fourth was added later with the switch to enable/disable it.

2 - Shifts between 2 & 1 only. Engages gear all the time (hill descent).

1 - as 2 except in 1 gear only.

Hope this explains things.

Q) Does the ECU gets reset every time I open both terminals of the battery and replug it again ?

I believe it does because for my earlier Palio, I was asked to do it by service technicians to reset the ECU. I also found out that after resetting the ECU, if you drive hard for a few kilometres, the ECU alters itself to that kind of driving and the vice versa. I am not sure about how far this is true.

@ nishu: 1 & 2 in an automatic transmission is basically used as a manual. If you select 1 or 2 the engine won't upshift itself to 2nd or  3rd gear, so you can hold that gear for more power.

5u3zEr02010-07-24 12:34:05

One stupid question smiley5.gif

Is it true that running a lot of electrical's while driving reduces fuel efficiency?

(Like : music system, charging mobiles via 12v acc socket, dvds, or even illuminated god/godess photos)

Nope! Nothing like that sb-alto! Everything electric is related to the battery!

and pray, what charges the battery?

As you put a lot of power hungry accessories, in principle the power requirement goes up, and so consumes more fuel. However, even if you add a 20Amp load it is all of 240W i.e. one third of a hp!.

Thank you Sir, that explains it.

Some said it to be a myth, and some called it fact. One reason I found out is that some cars have heavy boxes along with many speakers and woofer which adds extra weight to the car and reduces efficiency.

But then people with fancy lights here and there reported that FE reduces when such lights are on or additional accessories are installed.

Another question

Can OEM air filters be washed with water/soap water ?

Some people say that water jet should not be used as it might damage the material but it can be kept in mild soap water and dried under the sun. Is this true and is it safe ?

@ dr nishu

kickdown mode is basically a feature in all automatic cars. The kickdown is very pronounced especially in the automatic cars having step transmission. When the accelerator is pinned to the floor the transmission will shift down to the lowest gear possible. The term kickdown also refers to the 'NOTCH' felt when the car downshifts to a lower gear/gears. 

Not much of a technical question. Still . .

Q) Why do automakers suppress the open availability of genuine parts in the market ? What are the pros and cons of this system ?

They can't charge that hhhhhuuuuuggggeeeeeee labour charge you pay to them.

Help me understand induction system

1. Is the rate of air suction same at all RPM?

2. Can the rate of air suction be altered ?

3. CAI (cold air intakes) claim that colder the air, more dense it is, thus more oxygen into engine and better combustion. If more oxygen gets inside doesn't that mean more fuel consumption ? (more quick combustion, creating vacuum for the nest shift of fuel)

4. Is the length and width of the induction pipe plays a role in amount of air induction.

5. Presence of air filter slows the amount of air actually sucked in ? (cleaning process is ok)

6. Is emissions affected by performance air filters like CAI ?

1 2: The throttle setting changes the opening of the butterfly (or equivalent). So both rpm and throttle position matter. This is for petrol cars. Modern BMWs and a few others have variable valve lift for the same purpose.

3. Yes and no. Cold air also means more power. So not necessarily more fuel consumption. You can take advantage of the higher power giving a btter consumption by leaving your lead boots at home.

4. Yes. Also, in a tuned intake the resonance may actually improve the induction at some speeds.

5. Yes. You want minimum blockage with adequate filtration.

6. Not necessarily, since the Lambda sensor controls the air fuel ratio.

hi everybody....iam here with another doubt about the mechanism of ABS. i want to know how does ABS works ? does ABS locks the turning of cars steering on application of full brakes? please help me to clear my doubt.

thanking you in anticipation.

ABS : Anti Blockier System (the German and original name) works as follows.

When braking if the brakes lock on one or more wheels then the wheel(s) skid. Also, with wheels locked steering is not possible. With an ABS thre are sensors on each wheel which release the brakes as soon as the wheel starts locking. Once the wheel starts rotating brake is again applied. This reduces braking distance, reduces or minimises skids, and permits steering.

A friend of mine told me the other day that the ABS is a Programmed Device linked with the Braking System of the Car which helps shortening the braking distance and also helps in braking more effectively.. How far is this correct..??

And MS offers ABS as an option with the VXi and VDi variants by charging nearly 60k-70k over the non-ABS variant. Can it not be possible for other automobile manufacturers to offer ABS as an option too instead of offering the feature as standard in the top of the line variant alone..??

Antilock braking system(ABS) is the system which avoid locking by applying brake and releasing 25 times a second. It is not able to recogonise the working of ABS because it is fast and accurate by the use of electronics.

The vehicle equiped with ABS can brake confidently in a turn.

A friend of mine.....

helps in braking more effectively.. How far is this correct..??

And MS offers ABS as an option with the VXi and VDi variants by charging nearly 60k-70k over the non-ABS variant.

Yes, your friend have Explained you right.

But the 60-70k Price difference quote is not right for Maruti Suzuki VXi/VDi version, as the Actual difference between ABS & Non-ABS is mere Rs.20k only.. 

So isn't it possible for other car makers to configure the ABS system in the lower speced models as an option if asked for..??

I had inquired this thing with VW and Fiat dealerships and they say that such a customization is not possible as there are a lot of technicalities involved.. If so, then how is it that MS offers ABS..??