FuelRunGod

Two used cars...Bought Palio 1.6 GTX

@asethi: Although I didn't mean it that way, now that I look at it again, yes it did sound a bit off, didn't it. Haha sorry about that.

@BF: Trust me you're way better off with the Corolla. You've got me interested with this 1 lakh Palio. I'm hoping its as good as it sounds.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-11-05 19:45:51

Yes, this was a good example, tyres make hell of a diff.

Edit: Yeah the paint job too is fantastic.

Its not that long you were in Chennai, has he sold it for sure by now?
BornFree2009-11-05 19:48:42

FRG, such a great response in short span, hmmm, every member cares for your query, good.

- Well why do want the learner's car, i mean strictly for your bro & mom?.

- Well i dont think you should sell your Vtec, i already have a 2003 OHC(Non-vtec), if it was not there i would have bought your V-tec, thats a gem but i think yours isnt that well maintained as you said that it rattles, mine doesnt even a bit.

- Sometime back, my uncle(auto consultant) got 2 palio's for 1.2lac, one was too bad and other was decent but both were 1.2lt powered and not base models to be specific.

- I am sure Mumbai would be having in good numbers, you are a ACi tester man, use your sources to the max.

- Why dont you try out a 4-6year old well maintained Lancer, that would be good, reliable too and i guess mitsubishi is still supporting to some extent i mean better than Ikon or Palio.

- Even an Astra Club should do well but problem for spares will be there for sure.

- Noway Getz would be available for 1.5lac, we have a decent black 1.3 Gl, 2005 feb model and are interested in selling but i guess it would still fetch us 2.5lac or something around that.

- Santro would be perfect learners car, and why dont you again get a Viva CRDi or accent CRDi if you had a good experience with that.

Hey BS,

Yes the learner car is for my mother. We will probably use it for about a year. Sure if I had the vtec as new, there wouldn't be any question of selling it, but I'm the fourth owner of the vtec, the previous owner had really ignored the car.

Have had lot of work done on it. But the rattles remain, so I think I'd be better off buying something that's better built like a Palio or an Ikon.

Mumbai has cars, but not that are really worth the time and effort for doing them up. Lancer will be too heavy on the pocket. Same for the Astra. Getz in Mumbai are fetching good sums. The Accent CRDi would be great, but none fit my budget.

So I'm stuck with either a Palio or an Ikon, apart from a learner Santro or Alto.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-11-06 12:38:30

Do you think that Lancer will be more heavier than Palio???

Palio might need some bucks to spend on it, so while buying you might not know how much will you need to spend, but afterwards it might need some heavy amount. Anyways i am sure that you know which car is nicely maintained and which is not, so no problems i guess.

Update:

Saw a few examples of the 1.6 in Pune the other day. One was the S10, needed bodywork, but mechanically good. S10 cosmetic parts will be quite hard to find. Owner wanted Rs 1.3 lakh for it. I didn't think it was worth more than Rs 1.1 lakh.

The other Grey GTX was quite nice, but we discovered it had gearbox troubles. The others were all 1.2s, some of them were quite nice and didn't look old at all.

So the trip didn't really yield any good results.

FRG

I went to check out a 2002 1.6 GTX today.

As soon as I entered the building compound, I saw the Maroon GTX lying neglected in the corner of the parking lot. The owner was still not there, so we started looking around the car.

Soon enough, the owner came down and we opened up the car. The car's odometer read around 24000kms. We checked the tyres, they were original manufactured in September 2001. They had quite a bit of tread left. Other bits like the clutch pedal wear made me feel the odo reading is genuine.

We started the car and it idled pretty smoothly. The car was serviced quite a while back and the oil had a dark colour to it. Even on revving, it was smooth apart from a small screech in the beginning. It was spitting water out the exhaust (which I remember some mechanic saying is a good sign).

The interiors look decent but need good cleaning. The power windows are quite slow and the headlights have faded. The car has been lying unused for the past two years which could explain a lot of these things.

We pulled out of the driveway for a testdrive. The engine felt tight and the suspension felt just like its supposed to. Again signifying that the mileage is true even if the clutch pedal wear suggested otherwise. But the engine had a sort of flatspot towards the top-end. But it felt really smooth.

At the end of the drive, I was pretty satisfied. Yes it needs some work, but if it is at a good price, then I wouldn't mind.

Now it came time to haggle. He quoted Rs 1.3 lakh and I started at Rs 1 lakh. After some hard haggling, the price was settled at Rs 1.11 lakh. I paid a token amount and would take delivery this Sunday.

The owner seemed like a nice guy and agreed to service the car before delivery and the better part is that he has all the documents including the owner's manual and service history in place. I will be the second owner of this car and intend to send her to the garage and get her new brake pads, new headlights and if budget permits a new paintjob.

Will update once the car comes home. Sorry no pictures just yet.

FRG

FuelRunGod2009-11-18 06:26:14