FuelRunGod

Two used cars...Bought Palio 1.6 GTX

You have got yourself a great deal FRG! 1.11 for a less used 1.6 palio is pretty good. And maroon looks pretty good too. I would suggest you to spend a little on the looks of the car and I am pretty sure it will become a great car.

Congrats!!

Congratulations FRG, that's a sweet deal. I'm envious :)

If the car's been lying around for a long time then I'd suggest a thorough check of the brake lines and wiring and also a replacement of all fluids (don't forget to change the brake fluid).

You should also replace the timing belt as it would have aged quite a bit and its an interference type engine.

Happy motoring - that car can easily last you a lifetime.

Hey FRG, great, go about jazzing it like Subzero probably he'll give you some tip's. Your maroon Palio GTX has me dreaming about a canary yellow VW Polo 1.6 with blacked out alloys with red border's; a size bigger and wide rubber. 

Thanks for the wishes guys.

Yes the car needs work, but the price was too good to resist. She's going straight to the garage on Sunday. I'm not too big a fan of the Maroon. Will probably change it at some point.

Thanks for those inputs dtandon. Will keep the timing belt in mind.

FRG

Hey congrats FRG, you've struck a very good deal, at 24000km one can safely say its still a virgin!

As its been lying unused, check underbody for rust, etc.

Also, electricals, accelerator cable need attention before anticipated time.

Now, its time for some beautiful pics, waiting for you to get the delivery.

Thanks BF. The car has not been used in almost two years, the owner is going to the US and selling off two Honda Citys as well. Since the owner lives very close to the sea, there is some rust between the hatch and tail-lamp.

Yes please pour in with your points so I don't forget it while at the garage.

FRG

Congratulations FRG -you've got a nice example of the Palio 1.6- will be eager to see how it looks after the deal and also after the garage care.

Also by now you might have gained expertise with the choice of used 1.6 Palios. This car may soon get an iconic status in our country like the Yamaha RD 350.Both are rare, consume enough fuel, beat all competition on the roads hollow (only if Ferraris don't compete).

Welcome FRG, get a rust protection treatment done. If its extensive, a paint job would do.

My Palio used to need Tappet adjustment quite often, could be an isolated problem though. Brake & suspension components ate a lot of my finances!

Yes the brakes are weak, needs new pads. They cost about Rs 700. The window winders are expensive at Rs 4,000 a piece. Hoping its just a lubrication problem with the slow windows. I'll get the rust proofing done, but will be doing a paintjob sometime later.

Thanks for the wishes Anjan. Yes its a very nice engine. And build quality is so good and a far cry from my 2001 City.

FRG

You are right on the build quality. I had a 1.2 Palio, hated almost everything in the car from pathetic FE to frequent niggling problems & unscheduled visits to the service station but when it came to build quality, I would forget almost all the problems. Incidentally I used to park it next to my City too & used to wonder how different both are in terms of build quality. One personifying light  & other heavy build inspite of the huge difference in procurement costs.

The car is very comfortable to drive or driven in & one gets a feeling as if cocooned in from the outside World.

Btw, horn in my also used to be a weak link, part of the electrical problems I guess.

Thats a great deal. I'll keep it mind to recommend getting a Palio to anyone who is in the market for a 2nd hand car from now on. It sort of skips your mind generally considering all the Maruti True value stuff around you.

Ya tell me about that, I got my pocket drilled pretty bad after assuming I got a good deal due to low resale.

1.2L would give me mileage lower than my 1.5L City without flooring the throttle & frequent jaunts to Fiat workshops made me overlook the few positives. Heck I breathed a sigh of relief after getting rid of it, good riddance!

FRG don't let my poor experience dampen your spirits, maybe I was not lucky enough!smiley6.gif