coolboy007

Owner Review: My New Pulsar 220 DTS-i

A brief intro

My 18th bday was coming and it was high time i got a bike for myself as was bored of going in the same Santro and Activa for a long time now. After months of persuasion both parents agreed to a new bike and alloted me 80k to get whatever bike i want.

My stats are 5"5 and weight around 66 kgs.

Choices i had

Apache RTR 180 - This was a bike i had my eyes from a very long time. I am one speed freak and want quick acceleration from the bike i own. This was a mean machine- awesome handler and very light and flickable to handle in traffic.

Big turnoff- TVS name and the hell lotta vibrations it had. A friend of mine who owns a RTR advised me not to go for it as serv is bad in Delhi. Also resale would have been less.

Fazer - Awesome looker and a head turner. What didnt please was the 150 cc 14bhp engine, it ran out o breadth pretty soon. Low end torque was great but above 90 it wasnt good.

P220 - Once i saw it, i thought damn i cant handle it. Its really huge and heavy. Upon TD, the bike flew like anything to 100. Was difficult to turn in corners but once inm the stability was good. Also with my short height, managing the bike wasnt a problem.

I was prepared for small niggles but then i chose it- 21PS of power + so many goodies at 75k sealed the deal for me.

Ownership Review

The day came- 30th Oct, it was the delivery day of my black 220 from Karol bagh delhi. Very nice dealer and got the delivery done quickly and smoothly.

I followed the hard run in method- taking the bike to 6-7K RPM (max) and then allowing engine braking to come in from very 1st km itself. Changed the oil at 250 kms. I from my exp can say that hard run is better than soft run in some do.

Positives

1. Engine- Displacement does MATTER. 1.9 kgs of torque is visible throughout the revv band. One twist of throttle and no matter what gear you are in, bike picks up speed like crazy. After 6K RPM, the engine shows real DUM.

Top speed i touched was 135+ kmph while going head on with a R15 smiley4.gif.

2. Gearbox- I hadnt expected it to be so much better. Many complain of Pulsar gearbox being notchy, what i can say is that its damn slick and all gears slot in nicely.

Never in 500 kms even while dragging with a R15 did my gearbox give a false neutral or stuck gear lever.

Thanks to a new clutch by FCC RICO.

3. Headlights and backlit switches - The projector headlamps are so good. Very nice spread and best in class lighting to work with. The backlit switches are also great and demand attention.

3. VFM- At 75k ex showroom for the Fastest Indian bike, the bike is a pure VFM for anyone. You get so many goodies.

4. Handling - Once you manage to put the beast in a corner it sticks damn well to the tarmac. 220 Dts-i is real good in stability compared to earlier Pulsar's. I chose the IRC soft compound tyres over MRF ones at the delivery time.

5. Fuel Efficiency - Even after my hard run in method and hammering my bike from word GO, i got a nice 45 kmpl from first tankful (till brim). All in city conditions so the hard run in did work.

I never thought that in hordes of Pulsar's my black 220 will even get a second look. When clean and shiny, people do give a look- thanks to full black styling and exhaust note which is great one you open the throttle- heads do turn

Negatives

1. Ride - To make way for handling- Bajaj stiffened the rear suspension and i must say that for pillions ride quality is really bad. The bums hurt badly if any pothole in hit.

2. Fairing vibes - Theres 0 vibrations on handlebar or footpegs which is better than RTR 180 but between 4-5K RPM theres noise from the fairing vibration. Once cross 5K fairing noise vanishes.

3. Turning radius and heavy feel- Bike does feel a tad heavier to flick in traffic, Taking U turns isnt also easy.

I can say that in traffic conditions RTR 180 can easily beat my 220 due to its flickability

4. "Expected niggles" - I havent faced a single trouble till now

220 owners do have faced a problem with rear disc noise and recently Bajaj is changing CDI's on all DTS-i's from a earlier lot.

Hope my bike remains trouble free.

Conclusion - At present i can vouch that this is the best thing my 75k.. aghh dad's 75k could buy smiley4.gif

No niggles or problem till now, nothing at all barring fairing vibes.

The rush i get when i turn my right wrist is only what a NINJA can better now.

Here are some PICS:

Side pose

picturelinea002.jpg</a>[/img]

Clip on handlebars- love it

picturelinea003.jpg</a>[/img]

picturelinea004.jpg</a>[/img]

Rear 120/80 IRC soft compounds

picturelinea005.jpg</a>[/img]

picturelinea006.jpg</a>[/img]

My riding gear- a WLT helmet and Alpinestar knucled gloves

picturelinea001.jpg</a>[/img]

picturelinea004.jpg</a>[/img]

picturelinea005.jpg</a>coolboy0072009-11-12 12:06:34

Nicely written review. Enjoy your bike and ride safe.Thread Moved.All reviews car/bike reviews go in Reader Test Team.FRG

Thanks FRG, glad that you are back in action too and liked my review.

Sorry for posting in wrong thread- didnt know. My bad.

Apologies smiley1.gif

A very very well written for a Stunning looking bike. She looks like Pure Evil in Black! Absolutely Brilliant!!?

Thanks a lot Capt. Yeah' date=' its fear the black now. I was interested in the Plasma blue color but dad suggested me the black and now i agree- this is the best color in 220 smiley1.gif

Congrats buddy. Drive hard and safe.

Thanks bro. Riding both hard and safe as you say. Just came back from a evening ride- Delhi is chilly and cold wind hitting you at 100+ is feeling great....

coolboy007 very well written review of the muscular bike.Hope you will periodically review its performance right here with updates. Me being tempted to buy one!

For the stiff rear suspensions is there nothing to adjust the two shock-ups for a softer ride? Please check up with your dealer and also the owner's manual. You may also fit a seat cover with some 2 cm of foam cushion but be very choosy. Usually these seat covers spoil the neat bodyline looks of two wheelers.

Does your bike have an electronic fuel injection ( EFI )system ?

And lastly I will repeat what FRG has said, Ride Safe! Because Delhi traffic is too cruel for two wheelers.

coolboy007 very well written review of the muscular bike.Hope you will periodically review its performance right here with updates. Me being tempted to buy one!For the stiff rear suspensions is there nothing to adjust the two shock-ups for a softer ride? Please check up with your dealer and also the owner's manual. You may also fit a seat cover with some 2 cm of foam cushion but be very choosy. Usually these seat covers spoil the neat bodyline looks of two wheelers.Does your bike have an electronic fuel injection ( EFI )system ?

Thanks a lot Anjan.

I will regularly update the review with all experiences and problems if any, thats why started a new ownership thread.

First service will be done by 30 NOV or 750 kms- which am sure kms will come before due date. Will ask about shocker setting at 1st serv. Hope theres some way to loosen it, its really stiff for pillions. Owner's manual has no mention of it.

Seat covers i didnt get- they do spoil the looks.

Nah, mine is a carburetted version- earlier 220 was witH FI and costed 90k around Delhi. Bajaj put in a carburettor, increased 1 PS of power and slashed prices by 12-15k.

The FI version is available on order, felt no need. Its only for those who regularly tour areas like Ladakh etc.

I still ride Pulsar 180cc :D I bought it in 2001, thats been 8 years now. I still ensure 3kms min ride every day :D Bike is totally different world, i would say free world.

Coolboy007, enjoy your bike, drive safe, and its nice to see that you got good riding gears. If possible get a good knee guard too.

Hey Coolboy you are igniting passion out me as younger boy.

I used to drive at your age in 1983 a Yamaha 350 CC but those days it was really fun because very less traffic.

Thanks for the compliment Cartoos. Hope we meet some day' date=' you can have a try on the 220. Wont be as much fun as 350.. Bikes like those are classics.

Coolboy007, enjoy your bike, drive safe, and its nice to see that you got good riding gears. If possible get a good knee guard too.

Agree with every word. Nice to know you own a 180 too so Bike2car smiley4.gif . Regarding riding gears- dad made it mandatory and didnt allow me to ride the bike longer without a good helmet and gloves.

Theres a crash guard with Pulsars which protect the legs, lemme start some touring, will get the knee n elbow guards too.

Great pic's and well written concise initial ownership report. Wear all safety gear and ride safely and responsibly.

Thanks DD. I try to ride nicely as i dont wanna get abused in heart by carwallahs as i myself do the same when a biker abruptly cuts into my lane.

Thanks for the compliment Cartoos. Hope we meet some day, you can have a try on the 220. Wont be as much fun as 350.. Bikes like those are classics.

I too want to meet you and best place to meet is you choose.

I too want to meet you and best place to meet is you choose.

I dont know whether you could come anywhere near Dwarka. Yet to get a DL which i will get in Dec after turning 18, after that i can come to every corner of Delhi. Till Dec, am restricted to ride till only Dwarka.

If you are anywhere near Dwarka anytime, please gimme a call (PMED you). After Dec, we can meet anytime, anyplace.

Congrats Rajat on the Ride

?

I can't see the pics in 1st post. Is it only me ?

Thanks a lot Amit.

I dont know why you cant see the pics, i can see it, others saw it yest. Give some time for them to load, a little big in size.

Congrats Rajat on the Ride

I can't see the pics in 1st post. Is it only me ?

Thanks a lot Amit.
I dont know why you cant see the pics' date=' i can see it, others saw it yest. Give some time for them to load, a little big in size.[/quote']

Could see the pics now.

How do you post it here? thro' imageshack.com?

If you can spend 80K on a bike' date=' you can definitely buy a better helmet.[/quote']

Dude, kahan khoye ho???

Its not a helmet bought from the roadside smiley17.gif ,

its a helmet which costed me 2800 rs and is DOT approved.

In case you dont know whats DOT- its US Department of Transportation and standards kept are much better and higher than ISI helmets like Studds etc which hardly have any design.

In any case, am a student and dont have 7000-8000 to spend on a KBC or Dajiya. This helmet is good enough, a heavy thing+ very stable at even 135 as thats the max i have taken the bike.

@ Vahanpujari- will PM you details soon as to how to upload via imageshack.

Has anyone else except?coolboy heard of the company?

Have you ever heard of CROSS helmets??? They are very much selling in the market. Most cos are from China- a frined of mine is using the same lid from last 1 year and is happy- even fell once from his bike- after that discarded the helmet as its advised to.

And anyone who got a DOT rating isnt a sadakchaap product + it has a removable inner padding which very brands offer.

This thread is for 220 DTs-i and not helmets thread- plz dont go offtopic and keep your sarcastic comments to you

You go and get a STUDDS uncle type helmet for you bcz am sure- steelbird- Studds thats the name you only heard of.

We arent here to discuss riding gear by the way,

Today took the bike to 9K RPM in 3rd gear from a low speed of 35 kmph and boy oh boy the bike hit 90 kmph within seconds with some more to go smiley4.gif. The loud growl from the exhaust made heads turn, those who were walking on the footpaths. The bike was 1500 RPM's away before the revv limiter would have kicked in.

No vibest at all after 6K RPM from fairing or anywhere else.

The bike has power- raw power + the 1.9 kgs of torque makes sure whatever speed you are at, the bike picks speed like mad.

Loving the bike day by day- engine opening up now and revving freely till 8-9K RPM with no hesitation.

The Pulsar series has really grown up- from a full of niggles, harsh engine +notchy gearbox, Bajaj has transformed the thing to super smooth that too at just 75K.

Hope it stays that way.

Lets get back on track fellas. A healthy discussion is always welcome' date=' but no personal attacks now. [/quote']

Point noted Cyrus smiley1.gif

Will make sure everything related to bike is only discussed.

Am in tears writing this because today my 220 fell bam on the road for no mistake of mine and scratched my bike alongwith dampening my spirit and getting a 1500 kms old bike involved in an accident.

I was waiting on a red light patiently for it to turn green in the leftmost lane with a white Safari right of me. As the lights turned green i went through 1st and 2nd gear (i wasnt first one at the crossing) and was on a speed of 25 kmph when the Safari made screeching noise and right next i see a cyclist face to face with me jumping the red light , i jammed the disc brake and the loud BAM and i knew all was over.

I got up- thanks to my good lid and knuckled gloves and knew i wasnt hurt in any way but when i see my 220 lying right side on road i threw the gloves in frustration and immediately picked it up.

The cyclist knew it was his mistake and quietly sat on the footpath, within a min i went and slapped him twice on his face, asked him why the hell was he jumping light, hurled abuses but it was no use, he kept numb.

Luckily the traffic policeman had witnessed everything and told me "Beta, you go, these are ******* and you are wasting your time, he gave a nice lecture to that guy. I thumbed the starter, at 4th crank bike came to life, brought it home.

Damages:

At 3K RPM, bike is making a strange sound like the fairing does, seems some body part is touching the engine which i will inspect in the morning. biggest issue and am evry afraid. Hope theres no damage to chasis or engine.

Area near the front wheel scratched

Right crash guard took all beating and is totally shredded, thanks Bajaj.

The front brake lever came out of the rubber housing, i put it back and right side fairing is a bit scratched

If i had made a mistake, overspeeding or leaning a bit or cutting though cars i wouldnt have been so sad but another guy jumping light, thats all i cant write anything. Am emotionally attached to my bike and papmper it like a kid, have exams from Mon, cant even visit Kirti Nagar PBK for now..........

My family is saying silly kid, it wasnt your mistake, why you crying but some things are there which you cant control, all i can say, luck wasnt my side today.CYRUS432010-01-29 19:11:32

@Coolboy: Thank god you are safe. I know the feeling when a almost brand new bike meets with an accident for no fault of your's. The same thing happened to my brand new M800 when a two wheeler banged on my front passenger door for no fault of mine.