anuprav

Winter precautions for car

Hi!

Winters has now commenced.  My question is that when taking the car in the Morning, what should be the first step.

Should we start the car and immediately drive?  will it not effect the engine.

The best is to keep the engine idle for quite some time till the temp is reached to a normal level so that the engine is not effected and oil reaches all parts.

If we will start the car immediately it will effect the engine and will put more pressure and FE will reduce.

Please comment.
anuprav2009-11-13 10:49:57

Hi!

Winters has now commenced.  My question is that when taking the car in the Morning' date=' what should be the first step.

Should we start the car and immediately drive?  will it not effect the engine.

The best is to keep the engine idle for quite some time till the temp is reached to a normal level so that the engine is not effected and oil reaches all parts.

If we will start the car immediately it will effect the engine and will put more pressure and FE will reduce.

Please comment.
[/quote']

Mainly for diesel cars - For your cruze.

Prevent rough idling, which can be worse in the winter, with 3M Throttle Plate and Carb

Cleaner. Just spray it on to the throttle plate to clean, lubricate and increase engine

performance

2. Add 3M Complete Fuel System Cleaner to clean fuel injectors, intake valves and

combustion chambers for maximum power and fuel economy

3. Conduct a complete tune-up at home to maximize winter performance with the 3M Do-It-

Yourself Tune-Up Kit, an easy to use solution to improve fuel mileage and engine

operation

4. Check the tire pressure and fill to the manufacturer's recommendation. Cold weather

decreases tire pressure, which can lead to blown tires in the winter

My question is without the use of any third party products.

Simple words what one should do while starting for drive the next day morning when the car is parked open and the temperature is low which makes the engine oil freeze.

@anuprav - just take it easy when you first start the car. Don't accelerate hard for the first five minutes or so (until the engine warms up).

You don't need any other "winter specials" - not unless you're driving in the antarctic :)

My question is without the use of any third party products.

Simple words what one should do while starting for drive the next day morning when the car is parked open and the temperature is low which makes the engine oil freeze.

Wrong

ENGINE OIL DO NOT GOT FREEZE.

And if it got freeze it will not be able to flow

between moving parts of engine.

Hi!

Please comment.

This precaution for both summer & winters.

In winters idling period is little long and in summers it may

be nominal.

When engine is cold (after overnight stay)

All the oil between moving parts of engine got

drained into sump

Piston rings are in there maximum clearance

position.

All the oil between moving parts of engine got

drained into sump: Idling makes the lubrication film between moving parts, when

they are moving at lower speeds (less wear & tear).

Piston

rings are in there maximum clearance position: Although this position is for a

few seconds only but necessary to understand the concept. If we rev hard at

this moment, there will be little loss of compression and unburned carbon

deposits will make engine oil

Engine oil does not freeze but it becomes too thick during winters which makes oil movement very slow.  So one has to warm the engine before moving the car otherwise it will effect the engine and will give low FE

Idling for prolonged periods to warm up the engine is no longer recommended. Oil flows pretty fast, so wait for say 10-15 seconds max., and just drive gently till engine reaches normal operating temperature.

Oil freezing - never heard of it. Maybe in Antarctica!

Tires should be rotated, aligned and balanced by a professional to ensure maximum life and performance. It is also important to check your tire pressure because cold weather is known to lower tire pressure. Ensure that your car has been checked and is safe for that particular weather. Also check your battery and brakes regularly

Even most modern cars also requires this. 

Try and do it in winters and drive the car straight away you will feel the pressure on the engine and the car not really accelerating.

Here in Delhi the winters have started so the cars are not able to pull up if we start and move it straight away.
anuprav2009-11-14 08:29:19

That's bound to happen, its not like the old days where you'd have to keep the engine warm through the night.

Just take it easy for the first few kilometres and allow the fluids to warm up. After that it should be okay. Also can I ask where exactly are you taking your car?

FRG

Oh I was assuming you were driving it around India. Then it is a different ball game. Firstly you have to use special grade petrol/diesel that is specified for winter operations. You also need to add antifreeze in the coolant to avoid freezing and thickening.

Also in the Himalayas, the desi way of keeping the heat in is to cover the grille to block some airflow. Truckers even light fires under their engines and tanks to keep them warm. But I doubt anybody in Moscow will let you do that.

Even after using all this, performance will not be as good as it should be till everything has warmed up.

FRG

FuelRunGod2009-11-14 08:41:38

-40 is a different ball game. Bad things can happen -

Antifreeze - must use the correct ratio. Too much antifreeze is as bad as no antifreeze.

Engine oil - Special grades of engine oil must be used. Your car's owners manual will list the correct grade to be used for a particular.

Its not unknown to leave the engines running throughout the winter season in some extremely cold parts of the world.

Having a heated garage helps - but some other things like electric engine block heaters are also used.

Truckers do use canvas to partially block the grill in other places with extreme cold. ECU controlled engines do run rich in extreme cold. They also have to watch for water vapor (ice) in the air brake lines.

Winter tyres and or chains are also needed when the roads have snow/ice.

I little bit of idling is needed ONLY in older generation engine (ones without ECU's). The carb ones sometimes have trouble idling in cold weather.

dtandon2009-11-14 08:57:35

I know all this.  It was just a question posed by me how other members give the answers and how much we know about the winter procedure.

I have stayed in Moscow for 10 years.

Any how thanks a lot for the info

smiley1.gif Aah! so you're testing us. When your profile shows "New Delhi" as the city and you talk about winters then the only serious worry is pileups caused due to dense fog.

Oh and by the way, Idling isn't needed even in Moscow weather - not if you have a block heater and have used it before starting the car. dtandon2009-11-14 14:00:35