sudeepd

What is the Correct Interval for Wheel Al

I searched "Wheel Alignment" in the Search Section but did not get any results. Hence creating this topic.

What is the Correct Interval for Wheel Alignment?

The Owner's Manual of Our Indigo LS (2004) mentions that Wheel Alignment should be done every 15,000kms.

The Owner's Manual of Our Indigo XL Grand DiCOR (2007) mentions that Wheel Alignment should be done every 20,000kms.

Now the Owner's Manual of our Xylo (2009)mentions that Wheel Alignment should be done every 40,000kms.

(I don't know about other vehicles hence not mentioning their interval).

But the Local Garages advise to do the Wheel Alignment every 5,000kms.smiley7.gifsmiley3.gif

Tata Motors Ltd and Mahindra & Mahindra are Indian Companies and hence very well know that there are Potholes (?), Oh Sorry, there are Bucket-Sized Holes on the roads all over India and the Wheel Alignment would definitely get affected at very low mileage than specified by them.

Then how can they Recommend that Wheel Alignment once done may last for their specified Interval?smiley7.gif

I am not on side of Local Garages for this point at least. But I know that the Wheel Alignment of Xylo cannot last for 40KKms.smiley18.gif

Any Ideas from Experts on this matter?smiley1.gif

sudeepd2009-11-22 12:30:54

Check the wheel alignment if you notice the car's steering pulling to one side on a level road.

The 150Rs that most places charge for checking wheel alignment is peanuts when compared to the cost of having to change tyres prematurely.

12000km is somewhat appropriate and depends on the terrain you drive. Small cars need it a bit more frequently than SUV's because small cars have less wide tyres and are subject to misalignment easily.

You get the alignment done if you notice any difference in the way the wheels are running or you observe that the drive is not uniform. It is a must, the moment you notice that the car is pulling to one side even if driven on a smooth plain surface. It's like checking your Blood Pressure. You get the feelers and you should respond then and there. Do not worry about the schedule given by the car makers. They are the ones who made the car. But, it is you who is driving it. And, you should see that it stays in good condition for a long time to come. Preventive maintenance is needed. But, only if it warrants. That's my take on this.

I have never maintained a periodic schedule for wheel alignment, only if something is wrong, only then do I go and get it checked up. I have driven for more than 15,000kms without a wheel alignment or wheel balancing.

True. It depends a lot on what sort of terrain you drive on. If you are restricted to relatively good city roads then alignment isn't that big a problem. For example, in my Accent, I had aligned the wheels only once in the 87,000kms she was with me.

For the Safari, 35,000kms up and no signs yet that I need to do something. Same for the City and the Palio.

You don't necessarily have to stick to a schedule, if you feel that you car is not tracking straight on a level road or if you are facing uneven wear on the tyres you should get the alignment checked.

Also when getting a new set of tyres, it really wouldn't hurt to check the alignment, most big tyre dealers will throw this in for free.

FRG

I have driven for more than 15' date='000kms without a wheel alignment or wheel balancing[/quote']

I too have done more than 31KKms on our Indigo LS (2004) but thought of doing since it is high mileage (31Kkms).

But regret that Decision of Wheel Alignment since after that alignment, the tyres worn out (Surprisingly EVENLY All Over) almost completely (only 2-3mm has left) within just 6Kkms.

I have changed the Bushes now. I will see if there is any improvement else try another Wheel Alignment Shop with all Four Tyre Replacement.smiley18.gif

in my Accent' date=' I had aligned the wheels only once in the 87,000kms she was with me.
[/quote']That's PRETTY High Mileage with only 1 Wheel Alignment.

Also when getting a new set of tyres' date=' it really wouldn't hurt to check the alignment, most big tyre dealers will throw this in for free.
FRG[/quote']

FRG, I always get Wheel Alignment and Balancing done at the time of Tyre Replacement without Fail.smiley4.gif

As for this Statement "most big tyre dealers will throw this in for free",

my dear friend I would like to tell you that none of the Tyre Dealers in Solapur has Wheel Alignment Facility at their Shops.smiley7.gif

Like my friends put it here one needs to be flexible in deciding this issue. Loaded drives, bad terrain drives and so on affect the alignment.For instance if a car is used in the taxi trade it needs quicker checks for wheel alignment. But sadly taxi operators rarely bother.Similarly if its used to carry loads the its the same situation .For decent, single handed usage the intervals should be longer.