sham

Opinions about punto needed

Hi all,

Im planning on buying Punto, the 1.3L multijet.

Frankly I was very impressed by the way it looked on the paper and felt on a test drive.

The car felt firmly planted even at high speeds and cornering was a breeze..

Perhaps the best hatchback after the Fabia.

I would be going in for one by Jan.

So keeping that In mind I have a few queries.

1.While driving the diesel I could hear quite a lot of engine noise(with AC on) .is multijet generally noisy or is it because it was a Demo car?

2. What is the life expectancy of a multijet engine in general?

3. How are the after sales service and spare parts availability/rates on them?

4. Would Fiat be coming up with anything new in the next few months ,perhaps a more torque'ier multijet by any chance?

Or anything else that I should wait for?

Regards

Sham

Hi Sham, Punto is a good car but the engine noise is more audible in the Punto than in others with the same engine.

MJD engines have set a benchmark Worldover, one really doesn't need to worry about their life expectancy.

Tata+Fiat are taking care of A.s.s, its improving & parts are reasonably priced. Though there are issues with the quality of materials used & some niggling problems.

Fiat could increase the Bhp to bring it on par with the Linea but when, nobody's sure. Anyways since you are waiting till Jan, there could be news in the Auto expo. scheduled then.

hmm..

But that should not deter me from buying it, I suppose?

I felt it was best VFM offering.

Any other advice you would like to give before I finally decide about it?I might be travelling so will have to book in pretty soon.. have to set a lot of things right. :)

In my opinion the hatch in the range is noway the Fabia. In my opinion that crown is very easily taken by i20. Punto is a good car but the A.S.S. is a concern. Yes the price is good but a much better and safer option will be to add some extra cash and go for the i20 CRDi. Even at that price I feel it is very much worth it.

The multijet is a newer and enhanced technology than CRDi. i20 is one hatch back which I could compare with punto in terms of features. I guess it depends on the driving pleasure one wants in order for his car of choice.

@Devil

Multijet uses CRDi technology. CRDi is name of the technology and Multijet is the Fiat branding. Also the 1.4 in the i20 is the new one and is pretty smooth, unlike the old 1.5 in Getz and Verna.

i20 with 1.4 CRDI is better bet, its more smoother,more crispy & efficient.. 
I  have driven both the vehicles & surprisingly found that driving i20 doesn't feels as boring as punto, you can feel the power & the turbo kick in i20.Also CRDi is one of the best tech for the diesel motors.

Post edited

Note from mod: Use Capital letters where required, SMS lingo & posting "----", is not allowed.
BornFree2009-11-30 18:50:15

The multijet is a newer and enhanced technology than CRDi. i20 is one hatch back which I could compare with punto in terms of features. I guess it depends on the driving pleasure one wants in order for his car of choice.

I differ, the CRDi on i20 is more advanced than the one on punto(mujti-jet). this Hyundai engine is second generation CRDi that has 1800 bars pressure and on noise levels in cabin is concerned, Fiat's have not paid enough attention on the NVH levels.

Also, I consider i20 as a better highway car for its sheer power and it will be somewhat cumbersome in city because of the turbo lag.

Post edited

Note from mod: Use Capital letters where required.
BornFree2009-12-01 06:42:20

Fiat makes the best diesel engines and hence you can find them in the Swift & Vista. The bulid quality of the Punto scores over the i20 and is one of the great looking cars on the road today!

I would also agree.. but multijet is more advanced version of CRDI isnt it...

Secondly yes A.S.S is a bit sucky but then again thats not too big a concern for me...

Also, I personally liked the drive I had in the punto.. very sturdy and takes corners very well...

I took a U-Turn at about 45Kmph and the car didnt even sway.

Coming to the noise. well this is the only issue Im having.. its loud I understand that.. But look at the fabia.. and the TDI engines are also pretty much on the same lines...

I have not tested the i20.. but should do it I guess.. But the feel of punto was definitely not dissapointing.

One finaly say though.. how would you rate them in terms of.

1.engineering:

2. stability

3. performance

4. comfort

style is subjective so wont get into that.

Thanks

I think there is much difference in price of Punto MJD and i20 CRDi, right???

Punto looks best hatch but its interior quality isnt that great and also rear space is nowhere near to i20, but it has best ride and handling and strong and sturdy feel.

i20 on other hand is more spacious, big in dimensions, has better interior quality and powerful engine and i think its less noisy than Punto's MJD. And obviously Hyundai will have better resale and A.S.S.

Ok, thanks so difference is of around 60k. I thought it was more, in that case he can look towards i20 too.

But if he is ok with the interior quality, rear space and driveability, i think Punto is a great buy. i20 has good engine but is not as fun to drive nor it looks as bold as Punto. bluesapphire2009-12-01 08:44:54

The Punto is possibly the best looking Sub 10-Lakh Rupee car. And with a potent Diesel Engine, it makes a GReat package. PLUS, its loaded with some pretty cool gadgets, which in all makes it a very very good buy.

i20 Asta with the options pack is about 7.20 Ex-showroo. Almost 1 lac difference.

I am wondering if it is worh the extra money. What extra are we offered for the money?

- Better plastic quality

- Legendary Hyundai A.S.S

What else?

Let me put it in the reverse order:

In a Punto,

For  1 lakh less amount you get:

-Blue & Me

-Real time On board computer

-Ergonomic leather steering wheel

- Foldable Key with remote access

@rangc

The difference is about 60-65 k..

except for the "blue n me"..even i20 have all those features that you listed..

also you get better space,quality,very good Af.S.S,puncy,powerful n torquey engine which produces minimal sound inside the cabin..

also don't forget that hyundai will have a better resale value..

Thank you all for your opinions...

I have decided in favour of punto..

But I have a few things to say about the i20 as well...

people who are for it ,please refrain from reading further...

1. Its insanely expensive(~1.3L more ) when compared with its fiat topend counterpart

2.Ridiculously engineered.

I just had a test drive and the torque band is not managed properly.. There is quite a bit of lag in 2nd gear before I can see the turbo kicking in, with the AC on and in the 3rd gear i felt that the car carries too much of turbo even at very low rpm

That much of variation is not good for the engine...

With so much of torque at dispense it would have been such an impressive car to drive but fails to meet my expectation.

Also its not just about torque its about how well the gear ratios are

managed.. so all those 90bhp,100bhp whatever looks good only on paper

but in reality much more can be extracted by properly managing the gear

ratios.. which punto has done to some extent compared to i20...

Even with so much of torque I was still hesitant to start move around in 2nd gear but none so in the punto

3.Interiors are useless... at the price I would really expect wood finished dash board.. better steering mounted controls(only buttons instead of flick switches and the horn is too hard)... and a sun roof(its optional but again add more notes)

the window/mirror controls also suffer from lack of quality.

4. I could feel body roll while cornering which was not there in the punto.. not good at all..

Summing it all up. I can say its mere eye candy...

They could really have done a better job.

Ofcourse accepted that the A.S.S is better but then again ,everyone who holds this as a decisive point ,please tell me if you get your car serviced every month.. unless its due (which can occur over a period of months )where in with punto I might be looking at spending 2-3k more but thats once in few months... big deal.

Its punto for me folks....

Hey Cyrus,

You are right, it's all stories written by non-Fiat owners!

I for one am very much pleased with the sales (Manickbag Automobiles, Hubli) and service (Concorde Motors, Bangalore)

Right from the day I enquired about the availability of Punto, I was informed of all the details and till the day the car was delivered the sales person followed it up very efficiently.

During the 1st service at 3000km I brought to the notice of the service advisor the problem with the hard clutch (which I have mentioned in OUR PUNTO thread). It could not be solved by bleeding the line and was diagnosed as a faulty pressure plate and since the part was not available, the same was indented from the company. Though it took a few days to arrive, I was informed about the delay and the pressure plate was replaced within half a day. Now the clutch is very smooth and the gear shift is crisp.

I have no idea as to how the Tata A.S.S. was before but Fiat has done a wonderful job to keep up it's reputation with regard to sales & after sales on par with International standards.

So, all those who are planning to buy a Fiat can rest assured on these issues though getting the spare parts maybe delayed which the company is trying to improve with Fiat First Care.