Durango Dude

Idling Lambo: Too Hot to handle!

Five Lambo's were brought to Chennai from Dubai for an exclusive show for the "Vlasti" of Chennai at Irungkattukhottai track at Sripeumbudur. After the festivities one of the Lambo's was brought to the airport to be flown back to Dubai, when the loader's found fuel in the tank they contacted the agent's here who in turn contacted the car manufacturer's who in turn advised the Lambo be idled to burn fuel, so it was left idling the whole Sunday night (!!!) for being shipped on Monday, when the Lambo could not take it anymore it immolated it self. Car was valued at more than Rs.2.5 crore; what a waste. One blast on the runway would have emptied the tank. The other car to have caught fire in the vicinity is a Tata Indigo which was ferrying a passenger to the city from the airport. So It was a fiery Monday here at Chennai airport. Durango Dude2009-11-24 03:40:56

Five Lambo's were brought to Chennai from Dubai
They were from Milan, Italy.

The airport cargo officials should get some wisdom from railway cargo officials, on how to clean up the fuel tank. smiley2.gif

@FRG: Should be a cruel sight. But not worse like this one. smiley19.gif

lamborghini-gallardo.jpg

soundar.d.gr82009-11-24 04:35:23

I read about this yesterday in the online edition of the Hindu and mentioned about it in the i10 fire thread......What a waste of a Lamborghini, which one was it? I don't know what the dealer was thinking when he wanted the car to be idled the whole night!!

Ohh poor baby :-(..

But can anyone explain why and how did it catch fire.

Just leaving the car on ideal should not trigger fire

No one knows what can happen to a supercar left to idle overnight. Sometime's accompany wife on shopping she goes to the store I sit round in the car listening to music with the a/c on and engine in idle. One question, is it ok to put the car in idle with a/c on for say 5-10mins? Chennai is warm throughout and we use a/c even in Nov-Dec.Durango Dude2009-11-24 09:13:32

My assumptions are: They might have wrapped the car with thermalcoals and stuff like that to avoid scratches, which might have blocked the air vents. The car was also in idle for several hours, might be in a closes area, without any proper air circulation.

Maybe the airflow when the car is moving is expected to cool the engine?

We often see this in F1-cars; right after a safety car period, some of the cars break-down due to over heating. Reason being that behind the safety car, the F1-cars are not traveling fast enough for the air to cool the engine. Being a super car maybe its designed to make use of the airflow to cool its engine.

O.T: Any ideas on how we could empty the fuel tank if, for some reason, we are not allowed to drive?

Ohh poor baby :-(..

But can anyone explain why and how did it catch fire.

Just leaving the car on ideal should not trigger fire

No one knows what can happen to a supercar left to idle overnight. Sometime's accompany wife on shopping she goes to the store I sit round in the car listening to music with the a/c on and engine in idle. One question' date=' is it ok to put the car in idle with a/c on for say 5-10mins? Chennai is warm throughout and we use a/c even in Nov-Dec.[/quote']

Cmon bro its a production car this is not supposed to happen under normal conditions, the only reason that comes to my mind is there may be some thermocol or foam packing done to prevent damage, which caught fire because of the heat generated from the engine.

You definitely need not worry about idling your cars engine(am sure u must be kidding)