CYRUS43

Sumo Grande Mark II Test Drive Report

Tata Motors has re-launched its slow selling Sumo Grande. In its new avatar the Sumo tag is tucked aside and the new model will simply be known as the Grande Mark II. Priced at Rs 6.45 lakh to Rs 7.5 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), the Mark II will have 3 trim levels.

image00003f.jpg

On the outside, there

Thanks for posting the review.

This is a one huge big flawed vehicle!

Look at the headroom in the front row, the driver isn't going to stand & drive!

Never the less its a cheap people hauler & would do its desired duty pretty well.

A name change could have done wonders!

BornFree2009-12-14 14:18:58

Grande went the estilo way. There is still a problem if this is a suv or muv TATA presented it as an affordable SUV . It looks better than the victa though . looks at the third last pic the right front tyres may bend too much body roll.

It's an attempt to refresh the Grande..They have dropped the 'Sumo' monicker but I think Tata need to come up with a much better job next time around  to take the fight to Xylo and more importantly, the Innova. The positioning of this vehicle also makes it rather confused. Taxi market prefers the normal Sumo while those looking for a bit more will settle for the Safari. The Grande seems to be a mis-fit.

PS-Blacked-out A,B and C pillars will work wonders on this car though!

Insides still have a long way to go. The middle row seats are pretty low set as compared to the front row: one gets that feeling by looking at the level of headrests in the side profile.

The steering wheel looks as though it has been cut out of granite. Will appeal to the country bumpkins/taxi wallahs; I think even they have come to expect a lot.

The vehicle lacks grunt and the rear suspension is primitive when compared to its competitors.The wheel base is too short to allow for a third row of seats (forward facing) and it has no ABS/EBD which is now pretty much standard on vehicles of this size. By softening the suspension the vehicle is more susceptible to body roll and steering on tight twisty roads is always a challenge. There are the usual squeaks (I think them from behind the dashboard but the show room sales man insisted it was a belt) which was put down to "tata gaadi ki bemari!!!" by the sales man.

Well although good changes but still they should have done this at the time of launch itself. Now of no use as its a flop vehicle. Although seems good package, they should concentrate more on taxi buyers rather niche customers. They should reduce the price of it by stripping down other things.

Although a worthy competitor, it has not earned the reputation of flop vehicle so i dont think this will work. Rather they should concentrate more on the Indicruz and its cost.

BTW i liked that color.

@creativebala

Agreed. It is better than Bolero. If so, why it is not selling ?

Is it because, the cost of running ?

or, is it because of spares cost ?

or, is it because of bad service ?

or, is it because of better service support by M&M ?

I cant even imagine what would happen if suddenly a crater appeared on the road and one tries to avoid it- whilst travelling at decent speed!!!

Taxiwallah+Sumo Grande+State Highways= one deadly cocktail!