manoj pradhan

new car problem

Bought a Maruti Swift on 03/12/2009. When I shift the Reverse gear giving me a  rattling/clicking sound. Its not at all smooth like other gears.

I want my car dealer to replace the faulty car with a new one.

Need some advise/suggestions from you people. manoj
BornFree2009-12-14 18:20:53

Usually,reverse gear is not as smooth as other gears due to the foll:

1)Fwd gears are in synchromesh while reverse uses sliding mesh.

2)The extra effort needed to engage reverse prevents accidental shifting from fwd to rev.

But if you still have a feeling that the gear is not proper,pls get it sorted out from the dealer.

my new i10 had the same problem .But a tip from the dealer worked. When you shift to reverse from a forward gear, bring it to nutral first, wait for 3 seconds and shift to reverse.

Try this

if you are not feeling comfortable in shifting  reverse gear then please contact  your dealer or dealer service station and  get it  checked  and rectified from there, the service advisor will advise you the best.

Try to get their test drive car and fell the difference if any.If the test drive car's reverse gear is similar then you need not worry.Since you will be driving both the cars you will be the best judge.

If not then tell the A.S.S. about it.They will do the needful or else the company helpline is always there!

Why dont you people wait till the car becomes stationary into reverse?

Also try this one--

After the car comes to complete stop, press the clutch for 5 seconds and then shift to Reverse. It Really works in my Case(if the Reverse does not get engaged easily).

As a safety measure the reverse gear in most of the cars made to require slightly more effort,even few of them feature a lock too.

Due to opposite direction of rotation of its working the car has 1st brought to standstill completely & then gear has to be engaged.

But the type of noise you are facing seems to be due to new unweared parts of gearbox & is usually heard in most of the new cars.

So wait for the 2-3k kms to clock,it'll disappear by itself.

I don't think its a major issue...or atleast that major that you would get your whole car replaced..

See when any machine is new..it takes some time for the gear teeth to settle down in mesh...

As far as I know..the number of cases that I have come across for Swift..most of them have had problem with clutch plate and pressure plate.

Perhaps you can get your clutch settings checked...