bingo

Right Engine Oil

Hey all..

I am residing in Bhutan and the temperature out here is -2. I have got starting problem of my Karizma. Can you please tell me what is to be done. Which engine oil to be used.

Thank..

You can try out 0W30 or 0W40 Engine Oil. But take care that the Engine Oil you would use is Specifically for Two Wheelers and not Four Wheelers.

Motul 300V 10W40 is a good synthetic oil. Other good options are Motul 7000(full synth)10W40 /5000 10W40(semi-synth) , Castrol power1 and Gulf pride 4Tplus 20W40. Select the viscosity according to your need and temperatures in your locality. Better to go for 10W40.

sb-alto2010-01-13 16:00:23

After accidently checking the Owner's Manual of my Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG-III today, I'm left totally in Surprise that My bike have clocked almost 4423kms from its last Paid Service(done at some 8237kms & now its 12660kms & earlier I used to get its Serviced after every 2000-2500k kms) & its Oil level is still almost same i.e; at the Upper-level & even its colour hasn't changed much after so much kms clocked !!

Amazing for a Bajaj vehicle..

But now I'll be going for its Next Paid Service soon.

So, Please suggest me good Engine Oil for it.

Specified Grade is 20W-50 & earlier I'm using Castrol GTX 20W-50 but this time I want to Switch Over to another Good Type of Engine Oil of that Grade.

I've even checked many EO's in Market today & Came across Castrol GTX- Magnatec(10W-40), Power1(20W-40), etc, but due to their Grade ranges they're useless to me.

dr_nishu2010-09-17 16:37:40

@greycloud;

1stly, Both Castrol Power1 & 4T are different Brands by Castrol for different Performance & Price range.

& Bajaj don't permits any other Graded Oil to be used in place of 20W-50 in Pulsar 180.

Can anyone here tell that,

Is Synthetic 20W-40 Oil can be used instead of Manufacturer recommended 20W-50 Grade ??

In general I will say that the upper rating (SAE50 in this case) should not be reduced! If specified oil is aWb then interpret it as (a-)W(b+) if you go out of range.

sgiitk2010-09-19 07:22:29

@nishu:

try motul oils. They are available in all viscosity and are dedicated bike oils. Castrol has a huge fake market.

I never heard of people using GTX in bikes. Is using car oils ok ? They have different ratings I guess

I never heard of people using GTX in bikes. Is using car oils ok ? They have different ratings I guess

So, here's your friend who's using GTX from last 2-years in his Pulsar 180 UG-III.

I'm not going by the brand names or anything else, instead used what the Grade Bajaj specifies & the Brand which can be trusted & available in market i.e; Castrol, plus recommended by Bajaj Service Official.

That's it..
dr_nishu2010-09-20 20:29:42

Checked out Valvoline Synthetic 20W-50 Grade Engine Oil, priced at Rs.300 only.

How's it ?? How's Valvoline Engine Oils !

Also seen Shell Helix HX3 20W-50, Advance Ultra4 15W-50 or Advance VSX 4 15W-50;

& Motul 5100 4T 15W-50 & 300 V Factory line 15W-50 on their respective Websites ??

How are they ?? Any Idea/Info ?? 

Are these Oils are Better than Genuine Castrol Oils or not !
dr_nishu2010-09-29 20:19:57

Any one can confirm the grade of Castrol power 1? There is nothing about the grade of Power 1 on Castrol website.

Even there's nothing written on its Bottle pack too.

But as per one dealer, its of Synthetic 15W-30 Grade.

Finally brought the Shell Helix HX-3,

20W-50 Engine Oil for my BAJAJ Pulsar 180 DTS-i UG-III & filled it in its Crankcase.

image0201.jpg

Changes noticed on using this Shell Helix EO;

-Engine is much Smoother now, as earlier engine oil(Castrol GTX) have clocked 4500kms.

-Engine Sound & Performance is also Improved now.

-Cold starts are l'll bit more noisier now, might be due to sudden change in Outside temprature or due to this EO !

-I'd like to Rate this EO nearly equivalent to Castrol GTX 20W-50. 

Is this a SM oil ? Shells are costly oils and I dont know whether they are worth it. How much did you pay for the oil ?

How often do you change oils in your bikes ? 4500km seems to be fast for oils like Castrol GTX

This one costed 185 bucks to me..

BAJAJ recommends 2000-2500kms Interval between Consecutive Services with Oil Change.

The Oil which is removed from bike was Very dark brownish in colour with Shining Metallic particles.

Probably Next Engine Oil for my Pulsar will be Valvoline Synthetic 20W-50.

As per shell website Helix HX 3 is SG-CD grade oil (far behind from SM) and also it is not JASO MA/Ma2 certified 

Can't understand this completely, Can you please Elaborate this further.. 

@sb;

Confirmed & Verified this EO specifications & Engine performance at BAJAJ ASC today & they've given it Green Signal. 

Personally I've used;

-Pennzoil 20W-50.

-Castrol TX 20W-50.

-Shell Helix HX-3 20W-50 for my Pulsar 180 & can say Shell & GTX are almost equivalent & Pennzoil is the Worst.

Can't understand this completely' date=' Can you please Elaborate this further.. 
[/quote']

To check out the category. please visit (http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/EngineOilGuide_March2010.pdf).

But if Your Owner's Manual allows can go with SG category oil.

Some information can also be found on (http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/150916thAdd10308forprint-2.pdf) about API.

Regarding JASO MA/MA2 certification, please visit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#JASO). Also check the owners manual, JASO certification is surly mentioned there.

Confirmed & Verified this EO specifications & Engine

performance at BAJAJ ASC today & they've given it Green Signal.

Next Time when you visit Bajaj ASC, please ask them difference between API & JASO MA. Let us see they recognize or not.

Alok Mathur2010-11-03 18:25:41