santoshbs

Discover 125 dtsi

Hi,

I own a Bajaj Discover dtsi 125cc 2005 model and till now traversed about 25k kms. For the first 3 years i got it serviced from the Bajaj dealer itself. From then I'm getting it serviced through a known local mechanic...

the issues i'm facing are...

1. The silencer has corroded and there's a hole on it (the bajaj dealer suggested i get it tinkered locally and its done about 6 months back). Now a new hole on the silencer has popped up right next to the old one?

2. Vehicle at neutral does not idle (not an idling problem...) the mechanic says the compressor might be leaking need to open the engine unit? I'm confused on this.

3. Rear brakes are not upto the mark, the mechanic is telling the drum kit is wearing out and needs to be replaced in the near future.

4. Mileage has dropped down from about 55kmpl to around 45kmpl within a year.

I'm a average speed driver, servicing the vehicle regularly but just in 4 years so many issues arising out of Baja bike is my biggest concern.

Need advice on should i go back to the Bajaj service centre or ?

I dont think the concerns are that serious

1. A low-grade tinkering job will not prevent corrosion. If the job was done imperfectly (I suspect so), then the remnants of the corrosion would continue to develop. This would create the next problem as you indicated. Only method to get this done properly is to get it tinkered to a better quality and paint it. Another way is to powder coat it.

2.Compressor? Can you clarify this? I cant think of a compressor in a bike.
3. Drum doesnt wear in 25k Km. There is something else and I suspect poor quality brake pads that the local mechanic would have used.

4.Several reasons contribute to fuel economy so you need to elaborate on this too.

2. The mechanic told you that the Compression of Engine has dropped. But this could not correct since your bike has run just 25Kkms.

The vehicle does not idle that means the Idle Rpm is set very low. Increase the Idle Rpm and see if the problem gets solved. But adjust the Idle Rpm only when the Engine is Warm (the vehicle must have been run for 10-15kms at speeds of 40-50kph.

3. Change the Drum Pads with Genuine Size (130mm). If you use 110mm Pads the brakes will not provide efficient braking. There are many mechanics who would not mind fitting 110mm Pads instead of 130mm just because they dont have 130mm pads in stock.

4. Get the Engine Oil changed, air filter and spark plug cleaned. Check and adjust tyre pressure.

thanks guys....

few clarifications..

1. yes agreed that may be a low grade tinkering job done, but my concern is just for a run-in of 25k kms, the metal corroding off is the point im unable to digest (my bro has a splendor bike with run in of almost 90kms without any major issues)?

2.Ya.. here im finding it a bit funny nowadays.. till the vehicle stabilizes the idle rpm is very low with the engine fizzing out at low speeds. After running for about 10kms, in neutral gear the idle rpm is very high (just sounds like a lorry smiley37.gif )...

3. Ok will check on the drum pads

4. Ok will maintain this too...

till the vehicle stabilizes the idle rpm is very low with the engine fizzing out at low speeds. After running for about 10kms' date=' in neutral gear the idle rpm is very high (just sounds like a lorry smiley37.gif )[/quote']Get the Carburettor tuned from a nice Qualified Mechanic. It will make a huge difference.

@ silencer.. where exactly is the hole building up??

Though the muffler has no standard repairs..you have to have it replaced. But still you can give it a try and get patchwork done..

@ rpm.. Did you fiddle with the accelerator cable?? or did you change the handle bar??

If not..i doubt the external valve of the engine is damaged.