afzal

brake oil

hi everybody

i got a problem that how should i maintain disc brakes of my bike i.e. how should i know that the brake oil needs to be changed or how shall i know that it has been leaked out from the car ???

For your bike, you should change your brake oil every 6-7 thousand kilometers or every year. Bleed your brakes and refill with new brake fluid because brake oil takes in moisture and efficiency is reduced. For cars every 2 years or 15000km is fine. A sudden drop in your brake oil level will indicate leakage.

Company claims 2 years or 20000km. But brake oil last less than 20000km. Its better to replace every 15000km or even earlier if required. Moisture gets in pretty easily. Mine needed a change in 10660km i remember. The oil (dot3-in most cases) turning muddy in colour indicates the end of life. They need to remain pink red or dark red.

Along with the change, service centres normally clean flush the system along with cleaning the brake discs to ensure that all the rust is removed as well. You can get a DOT3 brake fluid from many petrol bunks like Shell and BP

Along with the change' date=' service centres normally clean flush the system [/quote']

I dont think brake oil is flushed every service. It is topped up before 20000km. Brake bleeding is done after 20000km in service if you do not urge to do it before.

Company claims 2 years or 20000km.

Tata Motors Ltd. Recommends Brake Fluid Replacement Every 40,000kms for Indigo.

Mahindra & Mahindra REcommends Brake Fluid Replacement Every 80,000kms for Xylo.

Well maruti claims 2 years or 20000km.smiley1.gif. Even MASS told me last time that the brake oil [dot3] or saej1703 last two years and gets moisture laden and ruin. Reduces braking efficiency as well.

If tata or mahindra use dot4 or 5 then it might be better.