vinuv16

Old Santro problems!

My 2007 santro [12000km]?has overheated 3 days back and the coolant reservoir has become empty.I hav called Hyundai ASS nearby then and service guys drove the car to service centre by connecting the fan directly.They told thermostat has gone and need to be replaced.Then the problem had fixed.But now i realized that it take 2 more minutes to get the needle in centre position of the metre in idle,before it took only 5 mins.Also i hav realized that engine is heating more after journeys,but needle is shown at the centre position only.I told this abt it to the service guy,but he is laughing by hearing this.We know abt our car more than a service guy right..Someone plz help me..smiley5.gifCYRUS432010-01-09 19:42:10

See if the coolant level is ok now. If you see a drop in the coolant level once again then there is a leak in the coolant system and try to get it repaired. Try to use good coolant like Motul inugel optimal 30/expert30 which are borate,silicate,nitrate, and phosphate free. They are better than OEM coolants used by HASS. If coolant level is ok and you feel that engine is heating up too much then check whether your engine oil is ok or not. Low engine oil or old oil may cause heating up. Change it if required. If nothing helps or the above conditions are not valid then get it checked by another Service centre.

.But now i realized that it take 2 more minutes to get the needle in centre position of the metre in idle' date='before it took only 5 mins.[/quote']

Did they just remove the thermostat or did they put in a new one ?

I have found that once warmed up the thermostats in Hyundai cars remain within the two small dots on the panel. The variations are far less than in, say, Marutis.

Thermostats are non adjustable. If the temperature gauge isn't showing overheating (needle close to the "H" mark) - then you're fine. Don't worry about it.

I am typing what they have entered in the bill.

Thermostat Assembly-Rs 414

Thermostat Valve Correcting-Rs 242.

I have found that once warmed up the thermostats in Hyundai cars remain within the two small dots on the panel. The variations are far less than in' date=' say, Marutis. [/quote']

Sanjay Sir

Before the thermostat failure the needle comes almost upto or at the second dot,but after the replacement it just crosses the first dot only at hot weather climate.Why is it so?

Sanjay Sir

I am using castrol magnatec as per your comments.Engine is smooth at cold climates especially at early morning and night.But the climate becmes hot engne losts smoothness and it is hard to revv.Can you explain why?

Cold air being denser leads to more power. As it warms up the air is thinner and you will get less power. However it should not be more than say 5-10%. You alse state that your engine becomes somewhat rougher.

Do you have a choked filter? When did you last change your oil, km as well as age?

Hey vinuv,

Try to keep your car on idle for 2 minutes .. before you drive, also your mechanic is right that it actually cannot over heat unless youur meter is faulty (as in if its showing normal temperature .. it can even show how hot it is and how cold it is) .. and also make sure that you check your coolant along with your engine oil every 15 days .. because these things play a important role when you are going on a long drives and all.

------------ Spelling corrected

sgiitk2011-03-03 11:01:32

One more doubt i want to clear.When the engine is overheated,service guys came to my home and filled the water in tadiator[without coolant].Then they connected the fan directly so that it always rotates when key is on.BUt my question is what is the use of this fan connected directly without cooling system rotating the engine?Thermostat valve was blocked.Does this lead to the engine become overheating when the service guys drove the car to service centre 20 kms far away from my home?Why just they did not towed the car?

[Can you say briefly, how its been rectified & what all been changed so that it could help others.

As i told they took the car to the service centre and test drove to find where the problem is,then they found thermostat valve is blocked and cooling system is not working properly.So they replaced thermostat and cleared the valve.Also flushed the radiator and filled new 2L diluted coolant.

What may happen when the car warms up:

1. Increased compression. But then cold starts are heavier on the battery.

2. Vapour Lock: Likely. Would have said 90% in a carb car, but can happen with MPFI as well.

3. Starter motor: Can always be a joker. At 53,000km can be a point to check out. Worn bushes and/or carbons specially.

The main problem here seems to be with;

-As sg sir said, being Worn out or carbon in the bushes seems to be the main culprit.

-Another reason seems to be with the carbon in main Terminals of its Starter motor or with its Negative/Grounding pole.

Get them Inspected thoroughly.

@ Durango Dude,

@ SG Sir,

@ The Doc,

Yes you all were right!

1) Local car mechanic found carbon on Starter motor bushes, which he cleaned.

2) Also, he mentioned he had to do some soldering on armature. "Don't know why?"

3) Regarding presence of traces some oil in Coolant reservoir and Radiator tank. He said that he have now cleaned the radiator with Acid. "Hope it helps"

He advised against complete overhauling of the radiator as the installed radiator is Chinese make. "Don't know why?"

Hope this maintenance solve the problem of starting still I will keep my fingers crossed.

BTW For all 3 the mechanic charged INR 800/-.