vinuv16

Old Santro problems!

Once again I require guidance of Experts regarding my Used Santro Xing XL 2007 (56000 Kms).

1) Since the day I have bought this car (Jan 2011) it had been producing some noise when I drive on 5th Gear. This sound is not there while driving a lesser speed on 1 - 4 gear. Off late the sound have increased... Local car mechanic had advised that by putting some grease in Gear Oil compartment this "may" reduce. But, I'm not too sure about this remedy???

I request the seniors to kindly advice regarding probable reasons behind this strange sound while driving on 5th gear @ speed > 60 KMPH

2) Even though Brake pads were recently cleaned but Brakes still make screeching sound. Kindly advice!!!

Grease into the gear-oil will make it more viscous. Not a cure, but can be a good diagnostic aid at best. I do not have experience of the Santro MT but Hyundai boxes are not exactly the quietest. Cross check with some owners of the Santro as to whether the sound is normal.

Discs can be noisy. I assume enough lining material is there on the pads. Otherwise, there is a small clip which will screech to warn you that the pads are worn. One common problem in India is when you buy new pads there is a small sachet of high temperature (copper) grease. You are supposed to smear it on the rear of the pads, hardly anybody knows or does. This is for reducing the screech!

Thanks sir, Yesterday afternoon my local mechanic put some grease in the Gear Oil Compartment. Later in the night I drove the car for around 150 Kms.

Now, the sound have increased manifold. I am afraid to drive it on 5th Gear as it may aggravate the problem. In couple of days would get this inspected at an Hyundai Authorized S.S..

Sir, what is your take on this. Is it due to some major problem with Gear Box? As excessive sound is coming on driving on 5th Gear only. Plz advice...

Sir' date=' what is your take on this. Is it due to some major problem with Gear Box? As excessive sound is coming on driving on 5th Gear only. Plz advice...[/quote']

I am afraid it looks like and expensive gearbox job!

You were bang right! It was indeed an expensive Gear Box Job. smiley18.gif

A reliable local mechanic gave me a bill of Rs. 14, 500 for Gear (5th Gear problem), Clutch (Clutch Slippage)& Brake jobs (Disk plate worn out) for the following jobs.

Spares used were sourced from reliable auto spares dealer located in spares market nr. Kashemere Gate, Delhi.

Gear Job:

Shift Selector = 2700

Speed Gear Assembly = 1950

Pilot Gear Assembly = 1650

??? Bearings * 1 + 2 = 560

Gear Oil 3 ltr = 540

Labour = 2000

Bord ??? = 160

Clutch Job:

Clutch Set Complete = 1890

Clutch ??? = 650

Lathe Job = 250

Brake Job:

Disc Plate (Front Left)= 950

Lathe job (Front Right) = 150

Disc Pad = 650

Labour = 200

Now, the car is running smooth and no sound from any where except some noise from Right wheel; would show to mechanic on weekend. Hope its not serious issue??? and may subside after Wheel Balancing and Alignment, the mechanic have already advised me.

This mechanic informed me that Grease can only be used in older generation vehicles and he normally don't recommend this remedy for today's cars.

Would be glad if the Experts on the forum can provide their inputs and advice on labour and spares charges. Also, advice regarding other Preventive Maintenance tips!

Now' date=' the car is running smooth and no sound from any where except some noise from Right wheel; would show to mechanic on weekend. Hope its not serious issue??? and may subside after Wheel Balancing and Alignment, the mechanic have already advised me.

[/quote']

It should be a bearing or the CV joint. If you have done 30,000+ on the old lot, then replace both LH and RH.