FuelRunGod

Tyre Guide

I thought this was interesting for those who run tires down the the tread limits:

Stopping a Car

Even though the speed to begin braking the 3,400-pound BMW sedan was 20 mph higher than the 50-0 mph braking tests we conduct at The Tire Rack, the braking forces developed by the new tires felt reminiscent of full tread depth tires weve experienced on our home track. The car pitched forward as the brakes were applied, quickly took a set and slowed the car with authority. After repeated runs we learned that the average stopping distance for the new tires from 70 mph was 195.2-feet in 3.7-seconds.

Testing tires with the 2/32-inch minimum legal tread depth taught us the probable origin of the drivers accident report statement, "I hit the brakes hard, but nothing happened." There was a perceptible delay while waiting for the braking forces to grow after initiating the stop. Looking at the graphs recorded by the DriftBox confirmed this discomforting situation when we realized we were still traveling at about 55 mph on the tires with 2/32-inch of remaining tread depth when we reached the same distance it took the new tires to bring the BMW to a complete stop! This time the repeated runs taught us that the average stopping distance for the still legal 2/32-inch deep treaded tires from 70 mph had almost doubled to 378.8-feet and took 5.9 agonizing seconds to accomplish. We had the same car and the same brakes, but the tires with minimum legal tread depths werent able to generate enough traction on the wet road to bring us to a quicker stop.
FuelRunGod2007-08-26 10:32:48

Yep, not unless you wish to jeopardize your life, your familys and the other persons as well, not worth it over a piece of rubber which will be much cheaper than getting into a crash. What kills me is when I see expensive MB, Accords, Camrys with bald tires.

Hi there,

Tyres should be changed when there is 1.6 mm or less tread depth. But from safety point of view, they should be replaced when the tread depth is 2 mm or less.

the goodyear tires on my fiesta diesel look like they're wearing out pretty fast and i had to change the front wheels to the back. it's only done 20k kms. wheel balancing and alignment have been regularly done. is such tire wear normal ???

20k in the front all the time, with no rotation - mein Gott!  Is your dealer as careless as I faced - MS (Alto) and H (Santro) where no tyre rotation was done for 3 services. Proof -yellow band still on the spares!

Most (I guess 70%+) wear is in the front tyres in a fwd car.

In general Bridgestone are known for their grip and not longevity where the Goodyears should score.

you guys have said it all...tyres are the most important tool in driving yet ignored...people spend thousands in upgrading their interiors/paint/systems but show complete dis interest on tyres.the 1 rupee coin marking is the best and the easiest guide yet most of the people driving would show ignorence.well thats INDIA...CHALTA HAI attitude works

Unlike Bridgestones, Goodyears are not known for any attribute but they do compliment under powered front wheel drive cars well by screeching at first instance Bombay filmi shtyle.

The Wranglers are Good Years, actually I have been following the medicrity of Goodyears since the early 80s in its homeland USA. They would sell their Eagle brand of high performance rubbers based solely on their F1 and Indy participation but the consumer tires were just sheer junk and this trend continues here in India as well.

An adive from michelin if putting only 2 new tyres put it on the rear and not front as one looses traction he can still steer out of danger where as in case of wore rear one can only realise when the car has lost control.

Here's one I have for you: I came across a site that recommended NOT rotating tires, because only then would they show uneven wear, if any, and thus, suspension problems.

Your thoughts.

An adive from michelin if putting only 2 new tyres put it on the rear and not front as one looses traction he can still steer out of danger where as in case of wore rear one can only realise when the car has lost control.

Do I see a contradiction there. With rwd cars that was Ok but with fwd both traction and steering come from the front. So you replace the front.

Unlike Bridgestones' date=' Goodyears are not known for any attribute but they do compliment under powered front wheel drive cars well by screeching at first instance Bombay filmi shtyle.[/quote']

Has anyone tried Apollo Aceleres, I feel they are a very good option, a friend of mine got them installed in his City Type II and the car has already done more than 40000 kms on these tyres and the tyres still havent shown any sign of giving up.