FuelRunGod

Tyre Guide

Fine, but how is the road grip?

Road grip and road noise are often related and go opposite to longevity. With a higher silica content Accelere may have a higher life withou compromising the grip?!

An adive from michelin if putting only 2 new tyres put it on the rear and not front as one looses traction he can still steer out of danger where as in case of wore rear one can only realise when the car has lost control.

Do I see a contradiction there. With rwd cars that was Ok but with fwd both traction and steering come from the front. So you replace the front.

Actually if one notice loosing traction on the front wheel he can slow down but till the time one notices loosing rear traction then he won't be able to control the car even experts don't do that I had seen a video of it by michelien tyres but I forgot which site and it was a front wheel drive car .They mentioned that the car gets shaky when rear traction is loosing.

Losing rear traction before the front amounts a bad case of oversteer. However, in a fwd car I doubt whether it will be wise to change the rear first.

I do recall in old days it was always recommended if you are mixing cross plies (or fabric belted radials) with steel belted radials put the steel radials in the rear (lower slip angles). The tyres on an axle had to both the same. Here whether the slip angle argument can be extended to the tread grip, I do not know.

I feel it is better to rotate all four tyres properly and change all the four at a time. We follow this for all our cars and we had not had any problem with it.

If front tyres has less grip then poor braking and if rear tyres are poor, then oversteer and poor handling. So, better to change all four a bit before it completly wears.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

i recently got goodyear gt2 tyres fitted on my zen..i have noticed that the ride of the car has become quiet soft when i compare its ride with the mrf zvts which i was using..the steering has become quiet smooth maybe due to softer rubber...its the cheapest tyre in the market..i got them for 1400 per tyre while bridgestone was close to 1900 bucks..in all i am impressed from goodyear !!!!

I have faced Crack Problem on Front MRF Tyre of Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTS-i.which was purchased on 13 Feb 2007. The bike has covered 11,265+kms. This Tyre is OEM. Now should I go for other Brand in 2.75 X 17. Also I want to go for Tubeless if available.

Here are the pics. of Front Tyre of Pulsar.

p0604200906.jpg

p0604200905.jpg

p06042009083.jpg

p0604200907.jpg

Can you please tell me why the cracks have developed on the side walls of Front Tyre despite keeping recommended tyre pressure?

Which other Tyre can I fit other than MRF since this MRF Tyre did not give me Positive Report?

Also have a look at the Indigo XL DiCOR's MRF Tyre as below. It has develop Patches all around the Side Wall.

photo34jkr.jpg

photo35r.jpg

Why have the patches developed all around the Side Walls?

The other tyres are older than this Tyre then also it has developed patches and others have not.

We have Four Different Tyres viz. Bridgestone, JK, Goodyear, and MRF on Four Corners of our Indigo XL.smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif.

smiley36.gifAll are Tubeless.

Please tell me what to do incase of Tyre Cracks in Pulsar and Tyre Patches in Indigo XL.

I think I should stay away from MRF. I got Bad Reports from Them.

one area I do not skimp on money is the tyres I buy medium /soft tyres for safety even though tyre wear is a lot faster than other tyres when I put it over on a corner I want it to stay there,many accidents are due to loss of tyre grip.

My Linea has Goodyear 195/60 R15 tyres.

It has covered 10000 kms in 6 months. The Noise level is too high.

I am planning to change it to Michelin XM1 or Bridgestone Turanza. The only reason for change is that these tyres are silent and provide excellent ride quality.

Is that correct ?

If yes; how much do i get in trade for my old tyres ?

Experts pls help !!!

My alto is having MRF zvts 145/80 R12 74S tyres. The car has clocked 39122km in 5and half years.( so less run). Recently i have seen that side walls and the treads developed cracks which are very prominent and can be distinctly noticed. The maximum cracks appeared on the front right, front left and rear right tyres. The treads are still deep and no sign of wear and tear though. The grooves are more than 1.6mm deep and looks still new. But the compound has hardened and ride has become harsh with too much road noise coming in and more tread noise as well. My tyres were rotated every 6000km and aligned and balanced every alternate service. No signs of side wall bulging. Meantime i decided to change those three tyres to new MRF zvts 145/80 R12 74S tubed tyres(same as my previous tyres) but was in two minds whether to go for it or not. Cannot go for tubeless ones because my rims are old with negligible dents and mild rusts. Checking with a tyre shop made me even more confused. He advised me to go for 145/80 R12 75H Bridgestone touranza high performance tyres since i did not want to upsize (i cannot because i will buy 3 tyres only) and also referred bridgestone S248 same size and some Ceat as well.

Can i use different tyres (same size but different make and tread ) at the same time ? Will it hamper ride ? Or should i stick to the original make? I do not want to change all tyres because spare and one tyre is in nice conditions with no cracks or wear.

Now i need your help. Any suggestion will be a welcomesmiley1.gif

sb-alto2010-01-13 16:34:48

I guess life has caught up with your tyres. Check their Mfg. on the side wall.

The cracks are significant & as you say ride quality has also deteriorated, all this points towards getting new set of tyres.

Best is to stick with OE size or Upsize to +1. Upsize only if you are performance oriented.

I prefer choosing all 4 of the same brand. Tread pattern matters most in performance scenarios, wet handling, etc. Also, some performance tyres are rotational, for these one has to be careful.

I guess life has caught up with your tyres. Check their Mfg. on the side wall.

The cracks are significant & as you say ride quality has also deteriorated' date=' all this points towards getting new set of tyres.

Best is to stick with OE size or Upsize to +1. Upsize only if you are performance oriented.

I prefer choosing all 4 of the same brand. Tread pattern matters most in performance scenarios, wet handling, etc. Also, some performance tyres are rotational, for these one has to be careful.
[/quote']

Thanks bornfreesmiley1.gif. I will buy 3 pieces of the same MRF zvts then. I was confused whether i should mix tyres or not. I am not upsizing but sticking to same 145/80 R12 74S. Thanks againsmiley20.gif

@ Sb-alto - 5 1/2 years is a long time to keep a set of tyres even though they have not done much in term of mileage. Ideally in four years, you should change your tyres or you will be compromising your ride, handling and SAFETY.

@BornFree : Yes i thought about it. Felt that it will be a waste to just change 3 tyres because even the other 2 tyres crossed its life. So will go for a new set of 5 tyres. Will check Bridgestone and Apollo. I do not have much idea about tyres. Will apollo amazer be good ? I will not get accelere for my size.

@Subzero--  Yes decided to change all tyres and not compromise ride and safetysmiley1.gif

Thanks again

Was searching for the new tyres today and hit upon

1.Goodyear ducaro highmiler 145/80 R12

http://www.goodyear.co.in/ducaro_hi_miler.html

2. Bridgestone touranza E60 145/80 R12

3. Bridgestone S248 145/80 R12(tubed)

4. Apollo amazer 145/80 R12 (tubed)

Now question is will these tyres be available in tubed version? I do not have alloys. So tubeless will be a problem . Anybody used bridgestone S248 or apollo amazer in zen or alto before ? Any reviews?

sb-alto2010-01-16 15:31:43

If your steel rims are in good shape, that is without bends or rusting, you can mount a tubeless tyre and I would suggest go with the Bridgestones. If you can't do tubeless then get the Bridgestone S248 but stay away from the Goodyears. I don't like them at all.

EDIT : And you are welcome :).

5u3zEr02010-01-19 12:39:36

If your steel rims are in good shape' date=' that is without bends or rusting, you can mount a tubeless tyre and I would suggest go with the Bridgestones. If you can't do tubeless then get the Bridgestone S248 but stay away from the Goodyears. I don't like them at all.

EDIT : And you are welcome :).

[/quote']

My steel rims are 5 and half years old and i have to agree that it has mild rusted sides and very slight bends somewhere. To be absolutely risk free i want to stick to tubed ones.

Zeroed down to the Bridgestone S248 and Apollo amazer XL. Apollo is giving some 3 years/30000km unconditional warranty but should i compromise?

The Bridgestone S248s are pretty decent as far as life goes, but only average in terms of noise and grip. There are better tyres albeit more expensive. These make sense if you aren't looking for a performance tyre and want it to last.

FRG

Thanks FRGsmiley1.gif.

Will opt for apollo amazer xl then. Thought of getting Bridgestone touranza E60 once but i guess it is only available in tubeless type, so are the Goodyear Ducaro highmiler. So no chance of performance tyres in tubed typessmiley6.gif