coolboy007

Fiat Linea - ECU blown?

My Fiat Linea went all blank

Today dad wanted to to take Scorpio but i wanted it so i told him to take the Linea instead. I got a call from dad 2 hours back while he was still on his way and believe me he was very baffled with what was happening with the car, after a traffic light:

1. The whole instrument console stopped working smiley3.gif

2. Everything from speedometer to temp gauge to RPM meter went dud and 2 warning lights on console kept blinking which dad wasnt able to intrepret as he wasnt carrying the owner's manual.

3. The audio system stopped working and showed "Channel search"

Now i was confused like hell, first i thought maybe ECU has blown but dad confirmed that car was running absolutely fine as before so that means ECU is intact (car cant run properly without fuel maps). Told him to pull over and he did as i suggested.

Now i have heard a lot of good things about Fiat First roadside assistance and immediately called them for reaching on the spot ASAP, he took my dad's number and immediately called him back and assured him of a quick assistance. With a 3 way conf with Rama motors, dad and Fiat first then came to conclusion that 1 MAJOR fuse of our car is blown, he told us that its safe to drive the car and i should bring in to Rama where they will replace the part and check everything again. smiley1.gif

Thumbs up to FIAT FIRST roadside assistance, never expected such a good response and believe me had i contacted TASS directly they wouldnt have cared for me+ 300-400 for towing charges.

Will update as to how Rama does the job now, 1st issue in my car and my Linea was almost stranded today, dont know what blew the fuse.coolboy0072010-02-03 09:25:28

Sad news guys

Rama motors, Okhla wasnt able to solve this and car will be now handed over to ABS motors, gurgaon. The issue is much bigger than a mere blown off fuse, TASS checked every fuse but found everything intact which means problem is somewhere else.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope these TASS people are able to troubleshoot and solve my issue, have less hopes though

@coolboy007

Sad to hear the problems in your Linea. If the fuses have blownout the warning lights in the Instrument cluster would also would have stopped working.

Ask them to Check the ECU with the ECU examiner, they will able to find out the problems.

If Rama Motors has been unsuccessful in solving the problem, I don't expect ABS motors to solve the problem as well. Why don't you just drop a mail to service@fiapl.com and see what the Fiat technicians suggest? Also, Rama Motors is the best ASC in Delhi and there actually is no dealership which comes near to it in terms of problem solving. Don't know how my Linea is doing good.

Best solution : See which 2 warning lights are coming on and then see in the manual why they come on. You will find the reason behind the failure of instrument panel.

nim12esh2010-02-03 14:43:08

@coolboy007

Sad to hear the problems in your Linea.?If the fuses have blownout the warning lights in the Instrument cluster would also would have stopped working.

Ask them to Check the ECU with the ECU examiner' date=' they will able to find out the problems.

?
[/quote']

Thats my point too Naren but the sad thing is that Rama motors didnt even have time to connect a Tech 2 scanner A.K.A ECU examiner to my car and check if any error message is being displayed. They checked for fuses and said, leave the car and go smiley7.gif, the issue cant be related to fuses as Audio system, Blu n Me and Instru console ought to have diff fuses. Some issue with ECU is there, am almost sure about that.

If Rama Motors has been unsuccessful in solving the problem' date=' I don't expect ABS motors to solve the problem as well. Why don't you just drop a mail to service@fiapl.com and see what the Fiat technicians suggest? Also, Rama Motors is the best ASC in Delhi and there actually is no dealership which comes near to it in terms of problem solving. Don't know how my Linea is doing good. [/quote']

I have dropped a mail to said add long back and also contacted Mangesh who has assured me that he will intervene to see work is done properly. All i got back till now was an automated reply via mail.

Rama may be best but seems they have too much load on them, the panels they had opened for checking fuses, they didnt even care to fit it back properly shows how much they care for cust satisfaction. ABS would have support of Fiat technicians i think, will make sure that happens.

Best solution : See which 2 warning lights are coming on and then see in the manual why they come on. You will find the reason behind the failure of instrument panel.

Brake fluid low light is permanently ON- book says brake fluid is low, i checked its all correct.

Low fuel indicator is blinking - book says should remain constant when fuel is low or blink if there is a system failure which brings me to the conclusion that one of the MAIN ECU (i read Linea carries 8) is having a problem.

EDIT: Just talked with my salesman who handed me my Linea (he is a and he said that all my things point that the ECU of my Linea has blown.

He said procuring new ECU may take 15-20 days smiley3.gif , blown ECU cases happen once in 50000 cars maybe and mine is one of them sadly.coolboy0072010-02-03 15:38:29

Today dad wanted to to take Scorpio but i wanted it so i told him to take the Linea instead. I got a call from dad in afternoon while he was still on his way and believe me he was very baffled with what was happening with the car, after a traffic light:

1. The whole instrument console stopped working

2. Everything from speedometer to temp gauge to RPM meter went dud and 2

warning lights on console kept blinking (one handbrake one and other just below fuel gauge which never blinks but always stays constant if fuel is low)

3. The audio system stopped working and showed "Channel search" and even Blu N Me isnt working now.

4. When key is switched to OFF, car beeps and show "Airbag failure".

Now i was confused like hell, first i thought maybe ECU has blown but dad confirmed that car was running absolutely fine as before so that means ECU is intact (car cant run properly without fuel maps). Told him to pull over and he did as i suggested.

Issue not resolved

Rama motors, Okhla wasnt able to solve this and told us to leave car then n there, as home was still a good 40-50 kms away we took the car back and car will be now handed over to ABS motors, gurgaon. The issue is much bigger than a mere blown off fuse, TASS checked every fuse but found everything intact which means problem is somewhere else.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope these TASS people are able to troubleshoot and solve my issue, have less hopes though because these guys are mostly clueless about Fiat cars.

Warning Indications

Brake fluid low light is permanently ON- book says brake fluid is low, i checked its all correct.

Low fuel indicator is blinking - book says should remain constant when fuel is low or blink if there is a system failure which brings me to the conclusion that one of the MAIN ECU (i read Linea carries 8) is having a problem, in my case the light is continously blinking.

EDIT: Just talked with my salesman who handed me my Linea (he is a damn informative guy and he said that all my things point that the ECU of my Linea has blown)

He said procuring new ECU may take 15-20 days , blown ECU cases happen once in 50000 cars maybe and mine is one of them sadly, he reassured me that the new ECU if needed will come pre configured from factory to match with my car's immobiliser code and other things.

Going to get the car checked through TECH 2 Scanner tomorrow at TASS, lets see what happens.

I have no after market add ons, not even exterior leave alone anything with electricals

MODS: Posted this query here again since i want info on how to deal with it and what steps to case in case my ECU is really damaged.

That's sad to learn! Fiat's are not turning out to be as reliable.

Hope they do justice during repairs.

ECU fault is a big deal, great that your car is under warranty.

Note: Posts moved, please continue discussions here.
BornFree2010-02-03 16:42:08

Shocking news for a new car to develop such an issue. A friend of mine had a similar issue in his Chevy Optra a few years back. His ECU had some issues and teh car stopped working completely. The car had to be towed to the nearest Chevy serivice station in Gurgaon and the Chevy people were extremely aplogetic and got the issue resolved in about a weeks time. They even offered the guy a replacement car to drive until his car was fixed. Hopefully Fiat will resolve your car's issue sooner than they say they will.

I hope that the ECU survives. ECU fault is a big headache and needs to professionally checked. Did they check all electrical connections ? Did the TASS people confirmed that it was an ECU failure. Get your battery connections with the fuse box harness checked too. It might be a case of electrical short circuit. 

Since the car is under warranty Fiat should replace it. Its a major component and does not corrupt with user negligence. So it should be replaced.

If the car was out of warranty i would have advised to get one from Petes or Tunit.  

Fiat covers ECU under warranty and this being such a big issue, they will definitely replace it but I hope the issue is something small and doesnt go upto the extent of the ECU being replaced. I feel that there might only be a problem with the Instrument console controller.

Sorry guys couldnt go to TASS today, the invigilator came late and i was stuck till 2PM in school premises, car is there in its parking half dead and till now i got no call from TASS or FIAT regarding the mail i send yest. Will shoot a mail to Rajeev Kapoor tomorrow alongwith link of this ACI thread.

Car will be taken to Techno Auto, Dwarka tomorrow ASAP. Our salesman(thanks bro) will accompany my dad and get the work done on priority, the results which come after connecting to ECU scanner will be analysed later.

I would try to be at the TASS but my presence there isnt assured as have some important work to do.

That's sad to learn! Fiat's are not turning out to be as reliable.

Hope they do justice during repairs.

Dont know what the issue is' date=' Rama motors was uninterested in solving my problems and just told me to leave the car and go in a very casual way which i didnt do, will give the car to a TASS near my home.

They even offered the guy a replacement car to drive until his car was fixed. Hopefully Fiat will resolve your car's issue sooner than they say they will

Well for my Linea i guess some other system has failed because if the main ECU had failed then the car couldnt have been the same it was when it was first started when everything was alright. Even now it runs smooth as it was before, something related to electronic system has failed badly. I dont want any loaner car, we can drive the Scorpio/Santro till the fault gets rectified.

I hope that the ECU survives. ECU fault is a big headache and needs to professionally checked. Did they check all electrical connections ? Did the TASS people confirmed that it was an ECU failure. Get your battery connections with the fuse box harness checked too. It might be a case of electrical short circuit

If it had been just a "INSTRUMENT CONSOLE FAILURE" then Blu n Me and audio system should have worked. At present all safety features of my car are disabled including Airbags. You can say that car has shifted to limp back home mode (as mentioned in Scorpio owner manual

smiley36.gif )

Since the car is under warranty Fiat should replace it. Its a major component and does not corrupt with user negligence. So it should be replaced.

Linea is covered under 4 year/1' date='50,000 kms warranty so ECU if failed will be replaced under warranty but it will take 10-15 days atleast is what info i got.

but I hope the issue is something small and doesnt go upto the extent of the ECU being replaced. I feel that there might only be a problem with the Instrument console controller.

Had it been a problem with INST console why would ABS, Airbags, Audio system(connected to immobiliser) and Blu n Me fail. Some particular part managing these system has failed or malfunctioning as the yellow blinking light suggests "System failure".

Fiat and electrical complaints are like Siamese twins. I have experienced similar problem with my Petra. But in my case all the lights on the instrument panel were on and the car stopped suddenly while driving in heavy rain at  around 2.00 am after a business get together. But thank god, my car started after 10 minutes.

Seems Fiat service is still the same old story. My condolence to you coolboy.

Seems Fiat service is still the same old story. My condolence to you coolboy.

Service experience has been sort of okay for me till now but now is a test of nerves for Fiat, this is a issue which no one has faced till now and lets see how they troubleshoot.

Am shooting a mail to Mr. Rajeev Kapoor today and would request his help to get this mess sorted out.

Mail to FIAT sent:

Dear Mr Rajeev Kapoor,

This is a sad, dejected and now almost frustrated to wits customer who is writing this mail to you so that you know the plight of a common man who bought a FIAT product with his hard earned money and future owners of Linea dont face so many troubles and issues which am facing. Till now i was dealing with small niggles in my car which shouldnt be there in a C seg car like:

1. Chrome peeling off

2. Seat going down- rectified by new assembly and now it creaks like a 10 year old car

3. Arm rest creaking from the day bought the car - service centre says that its the same in other Lineas too.

What happened yesterday has really shaken my confidence on this car, if niggles werent enough yesterday morning the complete electronics and safety system of my Linea failed and now its running with:

1. Instrument console totally dead

2. Audio system dead

3. Blu n me dead

4. ALL SAFETY FEATURES DISABLED

Worried by all this i took the car immediately to Rama motors, Okhla where they were uninterested in solving my issues, fiddled for a few minutes and told me to just leave the car there and go, they didnt even connect ECU computer which shows error codes or care to ask me for a loaner car, all this after Fiat RSA had handed over my case to them. With my home 40-50 kms away and car running like before i took it back home and will now take it to Tata service centre.

I sent a mail yesterday to FIAT telling that "yellow light was blinking below fuel meter which suggests system failure" but no one cared to call me or send me any info about it. I am following this issue on AUTOCAR INDIA FORUMS and will see how long does FIAT take to rectify this one of a kind issue faced by me.

With the prelim info, it seems that the ECU of my Linea has failed and all these issues in a car which is not even a year old and it has done less than 10000 kms.

Am emailing to you as a last resort, i know you are a busy man and have other things to do that read customer complaints but the truth is that neither the people under you are willing to work nor the service stations are "capable" of solving issues in Fiat cars. Until and unless FIAT appoints atleast 2 factory trained mechanics at each service centre, we new FIAT owners would continue to have a sad ownership experience and its customer reviews which matter. FIAT has helped me out earlier but the commitment levels are falling day by day.

CAR WILL BE HANDED OVER TO TECHNO AUTO, Dwaka, New Delhi, i hope that FIAT helps the mechanics there in every way needed.

Regards

Sudershan Sharma

91-9818530xxx

Car details

REGN NO: DL 9C Q 7151

Chasis no: MCA1107160900236xxxx

Car name and model: Fiat Linea petrol Emotion pack

Dealer: Techno Auto, New delhi

Got a immediate call back from FIAT India

Withing 5 minutes of sending my mail to Mr. Rajeev, i got a call from Pune, India from Mr. Anand and he told me that Mr. Rajeev called him and told him to see my case and do the necessary work needed.

He gave me reassurance that my complaint now has been put on HIGH priority and told me that Noth region manager would see my case and he himself would personally supervise the entire process till that fault is found and rectified.

He told me not to worry, he will provide a loaner car if needed till the time my Linea comes back to life and if any spare part is required which isnt in stock, he will make sure its despatched out of the factory ASAP.

FIAT is good on its part when it comes to customer service, its the attitude of TATA like govt offices.

Will head to TASS tomorrow and update you guys, what happens. For now, atleast some relief to my mind and a +1 to Fiat.

Sorry to hear the developments, coolboy007. I hope, your Linea will be completely cured by getting an emergency treatment after getting a prompt response from Fiat CEO.

[issue resolved, ECU not at fault- wrong info by car system

I reached TECHNO AUTO workshop at 12:55 PM and was greeted with a sad news that its lunch time and i have to wait for half an hour for SA to come. They told me to wait upstairs in customer lounge but i didnt go up as no job card was made till that time and if anything happens to my Linea, i cant blame them

SA came at 1:25 and noted down all my concerns and took the car to service bay, things were moving slowly till now. I was seated in a room just opposite to service bay where i could see my car. It was 2:00 PM and my car wasnt even touched, all this after some top level complaints to FIAT.

I went in and stormed the place, asked SA "You wanna work on this car or i take my car back and report FIAT about it"? Immediately 1 helpful sardarji came, he instructed mechanics to connect ECU examiner (Marelli examiner), after connecting the error code shown was:

NBC node failure- status not present: check for faulty wires, connections fuses and blah blah

I could sense the tension on faces of TASS guys as they were clueless about it, one by one they started leaving my car and i was left with just 1 guy scratching his head to wits. I called Mr. Anand at FIAT factory and told him about the situation and told him to ask his technical team to get in touch with TASS.

How did issue get resolved

Immediately after my call, TASS woke up line anything. 2 managers ran towards my car, 6 mechanics started working on my car alone leaving every other car. FIAT was live on phone instructing them about the problems and how to solve it, something inside FUSE box was loose and it had triggered a full failure of elec system which neither RAMA nor Techno was able to diagnose first.

I was told that FIAT replicated same problem on a Linea at factory and then gave the diagnosis to TASS people. Everything was happening real time- live.[/] They took every fuse and wire out and reconnected everything and then everything started working like before.

LINEA has an inbuild error check system and the "CANCHECK" it said on AUDIO SYSTEM was to check CANBUS system which consists of fuse box.

Was given a complementary car wash and they did a very nice job n it

This TASS had a 3 step washing process :

1. Cleaning inside with vaccumm and compressed air, taking every mat and things out and clearing them of dirst.

2. Pressure washing the whole car with soap solutions every spot.

3. Air dried the whole car- very few guys do it and its very important so that the car doesnt catch rust. Car was handed to me at 5:00 PM

Total time taken = 4 hours with washing which is too good than i expected. Finally they could solve me issues, albeit after a few calls but am a happy man now.

Wonder how do guys who dont have access to top guys in FIAT get there work dont at TASS.

First thing i did after reaching is to update you guys, thanks for the help. My Linea is fit n fine now.