FuelRunGod

Swift 1.2 K-Series Test Drive Report

Test Driven: New Swift 1.2-litre K-series

20100204_112005__ND37338_copy_c.jpg

With the upcoming emission norms, it was unlikely the old Esteem G13B unit would be continued. So, Maruti went ahead and shoehorned the 1.2-litre K-series engine into the Swift. It is the same engine that does duty in the Maruti Ritz. It puts out 84bhp 11.5kgm of torque. On paper, the 1.2 puts out 3bhp lower than the outgoing 1.3-litre engine. But out on the road, the K-series does just as good a job.

20100204_112111__ND37369_copy_c.jpg

On the outside, there is no way you can differentiate this from the older car. The Swift's familiar lines are appreciated by most and the car really does look good. Recently, the Swift was given crystal clear tail lamps and new design alloys which look better than before. To really tell the difference between the old and the new car, you have to either look under the hood or get behind the wheel. So, I got behind the wheel.

20100204_112215__ND37543_copy_c.jpg

Start her up and you can barely tell the engine turning over. Driving with the Swift 1.3 back to back, you can tell that the bottom end is much better. As a result, the Swift pulls eagerly from as low as 1500rpm and you don't have to change gears as often as before. In fact, the Swift feels even better than the Ritz initially. Performance overall is good, thanks to a punchy top end with the engine pulling strongly all the way till the redline. With 100cc down and clever gearing, the new car is also more efficient. Preliminary tests show a difference of about 1.5kpl over the older car.

20100204_112421__ND37534_copy_c.jpg

Maruti has also tweaked the suspension. The new Swift rides a lot better than before. Bumps are rounded off easily and the suspension is also quieter than before. Where the old Swift would thud, the new Swift goes through without making much noise. The softer suspension might also take care of some of the rattling that the Swifts are known for. This car felt nice and doesn't have a single rattle yet. And I hope it remains that way. The steering also felt slightly lighter, but don't be fooled even with the softer suspension, the Swift is still an entertaining car to drive. And with the new engine, it feels less of an effort.

20100204_112325__ND37481_copy_c.jpg

Whenever, somebody asked me about buying a Swift, I would always recommend the DDIS, but with the new K-series, I think I will be recommending a lot more petrol Swifts. It definately gets the thumbs up in my book. I just wished Maruti had reduced the prices especially since the car qualifies for reduced excise duty. But citing increased input costs, Maruti will not be passing on the benefit to the customers. So don't expect the prices to fall.

FRG

FuelRunGod2010-02-04 12:44:10

Good write up FRG, Thank You, so this also keeps the Fun to Drive quotient of earlier Swift as per your review.

How good is the Suspension Improvement over Old Swift? FRG, tell in a ten point scale?

How is the Braking now, as it has shed some considerable weight?

Is the one Driving it is you?
creativebala2010-02-04 11:34:03

Yes, the car is just as much fun if not better. The suspension is nice and soft, its way better than the old car as far as bump absorbing goes. On a ten point scale, I'd rate the old car's suspension at 6 and this new one I'd rate an 8. No that isn't me, I didn't go for the shoot.

FRG
FuelRunGod2010-02-04 13:23:31

Thanks for the much awaited report FRG. I've been driving the 1.3L around for sometime now & believe me, I like it over many cars & even some from higher segments but did feel the lack of bottom end punch & there was room for improvement in FE.

So, Maruti has taken care of both the issues & suspension change also comes as a big welcome because the earlier car had a tendency to sound bad over potholes. Also, the ride quality needed improvement. Seems Maruti has payed heed to consumer feedback.

Would the suspension change also apply to the diesels from now on?

Good write up FRG. Thanks a lot for the review. Was a much needed change for the swift. I think even the diesel should get the same suspension setup. Its not worth to manufacture same car with two suspension setup.

@BornFree :

Good noticesmiley20.gif. Even i feel that profile is increased and so is GC. Should help prevent underbody scrapping.

sb-alto2010-02-04 15:16:38

It is not expected from Maruti to hold back the differential amount in excise (around Rs 40,000/-) for itself and not giving the discount on the new Swift 1.2.  Can't we (either those who paid the booking for this new car Or Autocar or such similar platforms) take up the matter with the courts and demand a discount from Maruti ?  This amounts to `protectionism'.  It is sad to see that another Japanese (Suzuki) brand joining Toyota and Honda to fleese the customers.  Shame on you Maruti. 

Great news FRG. It looks tempting, but I'd wait for some time, I think they may drop the prices a bit as the competition heat's up and newer hatch's are launched in the coming month's. There's no way they can hold that price for long and be ripping off client's. Any how I'm going to shoot of an email to MSIL and await a reply.

My email to MSIL:

"Now that Swift get's a 1.2 lit engine; why haven't prices been reduced as you get tax concessions. I think you are taking client's for a ride and citing flimsy reason's as higher input costs. But these input cost's have not obviously made dent's on your net profit's have they. In fact your net profit has gone up for this year. As the product is selling well, you have decided to make a 'killing' at the client's expense.This shows for Maruti "customer is not king". Over to you Mr. R.C.Bhargava for a reply."

I don't really expect a reply any how no harm in taking a shot.

Durango Dude2010-02-04 17:28:46

On second looks' date=' have they meddled with the tyre size, seems to have increased! [/quote']

The tyre size is same as that of the earlier ZXi, i.e: 185/70-R14.

even the GC is same at 170mm.

However the car in the pic looks slightly tall, may be due to new Stiffer Suspension settings.

Also' date=' I do not see any dead pedal. Was needed![/quote']

Not a single Maruti Suzuki car have featured this so far.

But would be definitely better if provided on Long Journeys.

Not a single Maruti Suzuki car have featured this so far.

But would be definitely better if provided on Long Journeys.

Seems Maruti is indirectly telling its customer, its cars are not for longer drive.

So for City driving, Dead Pedal is not required. Hence proved.

Seems Maruti is indirectly telling its customer' date=' its cars are not for longer drive.

[/quote']

LOL man,

Very Smart Derivation dude.

What about SX4 & Grand Vitara ??? 

But the fact is that Not a Single Maruti car owner in this Country restricts its usage strictly for the City.

Every Maruti owner uses it Everywhere.

@all

So we all presume that Maruti is making higher profits on the Swift P which now qualifies for the excise duty benefit.

Lets see this from a different angle

- Does the 2 decades old engine cost same as the new K series engine?

- How about the Years of RnD cost involved in making the K series engine?

- How about the costs involved in adapting the new K series engine into the Swift? And other costs involved in suspension tuning and other small jobs?

- Is it right that we compare Ritz/Splash P prices with that of Swift P prices? In-spite of a new and advanced engine Ritz P had to be launched at a lower price than Swift P. Or else Ritz wouldn't have been a success. And moreover it would be very difficult to convince buyers to opt the newly launched Ritz over the super successful Swift.

What say guys?

Whereas even i personally feel that Maruti has slightly increased their margins in Swift P. But not an outright 40k over the earlier margins.

Deepak DS

www.BrainSea.comdeepakds2010-02-04 20:52:34

@Deepak, going by your logic,

Did Maruti increased DZire's price by 30-40k from old model?

You got what I am trying to say, when both Swift n' Dzire engines are new, why charging Swift's customer with 30-40k(Those tax benefits) and charging DZire's customer nothing. Why does Maruti fooling Swift's customers?

Instead, they can increase DZire price by say 15k and decrease Swift's price by 15k. Isn't this sounds good?  

MSIL strategy is so obvious. Wait and watch. Swift made a record sales in December and without the Figo it is almost a monopoly, though i20 eats up some sales. For MSIL its better to wait and watch Figo's pricing. If it is less than present Swift then MSIL will decrease the prices at that time only. Till then enjoy the profit for a segment. Even the diesel Swift will see a price cut once beat MJD is launched.

**EDIT**

Diesel Dzire sells more than petrol, so it wont be a wise thing to increase petrol Dzire prices now.

sb-alto2010-02-05 05:17:58

MS has only changed the engine, in some way it's a good sign. We might get the all new Swift as soon as it is launched world-wide. Rumors are floating on internet that the new swift will not be launched in any time soon, but i think it will, as Maruti has not refreshed the KB Swift. The new Swift can come with the same 1.2 engine. May be i'm wrong, but i'm just speculating! Hope my speculations come true

When is the diesel variant going to get E4 treatment?

I think it would already have, since Ritz has the EIV ready MJD they would have given the same to it silently.

The fact that Maruti is being so silent about it as opposed to SX4 and Estilo in which it did heavier modifications, makes me feel(hope) that we would get next gen Swift pretty soon.

Just checked their website & they continue to quote prices for E3 Swift diesel while the prices of Swift petrol are reflecting E4.

MARUTI SWIFT LXI (BHARAT STAGE IV) 4,10,053
MARUTI SWIFT VXI (BHARAT STAGE IV) 4,40,363
MARUTI SWIFT VXI (BHARAT STAGE IV WITH ABS) 4,59,480
MARUTI SWIFT LDI (BHARAT STAGE III) 4,77,369
MARUTI SWIFT VDI (BHARAT STAGE III) 5,11,098
MARUTI SWIFT ZXI (BHARAT STAGE IV) 5,20,752
MARUTI SWIFT VDI (BHARAT STAGE III WITH ABS) 5,29,470
BornFree2010-02-05 10:16:27

Yes it does make one wonder why Maruti is not advertising of the Kseies Swift,what are they upto is all guess work to be done.

Note from mod: Use capital letters where required.
BornFree2010-02-05 10:39:56

Seems Maruti is indirectly telling its customer' date=' its cars are not for longer drive.

[/quote']

What about SX4 & Grand Vitara ??? 

SX4 is partly developed by FIAT, who knows more about Highway Handling & the GV is not an Indian Car, its an Import.

[/quote']

SX4 is partly developed by FIAT' date=' who knows more about Highway Handling & the GV is not an Indian Car, its an Import.
[/quote']

But both are Marutis'.

Considering all the above, Both of your statements going against each other !!

Instead' date=' they can increase DZire price by say 15k and decrease Swift's price by 15k. Isn't this sounds good?  
[/quote']

Dzire 1.2 Petrol prices are already up by 10k.

But nothing for the Swift yet !!

dr_nishu2010-02-05 20:14:31