sham

ECU, is it really programmable?

Hi all,

This is a curious question that im putting across...

I always wanted to fiddle around with the ECU. but dont really know where to start from or what to do.

So here are the basic question.

1. How is the ECU to look at?

2. How can someone remap/re-program it?

3. Can anyone with a fair amount of knowledege about cars/ programming(like me) Hack the software.

4. What are the repercussions.?

5. Is it really dangerous to fiddle around.?

PS: I own a punto(MJT)

Well, It is programmable. And unless you have a car specific software, you should not fiddle with it. I have the Scorpio Petrol Tuning CD with me, never actually used it though.

And as for how it is to look at, it is like a Computer chip. In fact, it is a Chip

It is a normal computer like chip. That much I know. Its got on-board readable and re-programmable memory.

@Cyrus - Scorpio petrol uses a Renault 2.0L engine right? How come you got a petrol Scorpio? and have you run the cd? what all parameters does it ask?

Tampering ECU by himself will left you in nowhere sham.

Even the ASS guys try to Remap or play with it only if there's some trouble with the Car, actually.

Regarding ECU location in 1.3 MjD Punto,video in the Link below tells you all,

Thank you all guys...

Actually im not going to tamper with my ECU in anyway i just wanted to know if its easy.. because in a lot of weblinks i was able to read that for diesel engines remapping can lead to 30-40% increase in torque and stuff like that..

Got a little too excited i guess..!!!

well actually the idea of re-programming the ECU yourself does sound exciting. Let me know how far do you get with it and if you need any help with the programming, Might be able to help out.

well my knowledge of ECU in specific is not great but then again at the end of the day I guess it's just a chip so there has to be a way of connecting it to a computer, though I do agree that manufacturers of the factory fitted onces won't like us doing things to their ECU and would have some protection, may be encripted or protected, but their are always ways to do things.

Like windows xp and newer versions don't allow direct access to the ports on our computer (the one we connect the printer to), this was a challange given to us and we had to change the system 32 files and make new dll files (needed for programming) and was successful in breaking in. Though this example isn't great and software are available which you can buy who already do this. But when I finished it, it just made me realise how easy hacking is. 

And trust me their are always ways smiley2.gif 

connecting to the machine is the least of the worries right!!

We need to get hold of the software that can understand the ECU..

Procuring that is the difficult part, i suppose!

They are not freely available on the web or something?

Will check if can get hold of some software. But would take a while as i am quite stuck with revision right now. But hopefully by the end of may will figure something out. That is if you haven't by then.

And is there any particular car you are focusing on?

Tampering ECU by yourself does more harm to you than benefitting Sham & even this might fetch totally indifferent & drastic results which would leave you Nowhere, at which even Tata-Fiat India would be helpless for you.

So instead of it better is to Plonk the Pete's Tuning Box on its engine to get the desired Performance benefits & too without tampering its Warranty.

yes i do agree tampering is not a good choice.. But id like to see and may be over a few months learn sufficiently well that i start playing with it once the warranty is over smiley2.gif

But if 'pete's tuning box'  does good to the car as claimed then i also feel its worth that money.