arreddyy

Breaking News !

Could the reasons for the price cut be the reduced cost of manufacturing since the new plant opened up? I hope thats the case and these price revisions are permanent and not just a haphazard measure to correct falling sales.

I personally see the reason is to boost the sales and make Jazz as one of the contestants in the premium hatch segment which was not even considered as one contender ever since its launch. I don't think opening of new plant is a reason for the downward price revision. rki20072011-07-12 05:28:31

Chevrolet Beat diesel website live; Ford, VW, GM bet big on diesel engines

As the rising fuel cost spiral the cost of ownership of petrol cars, many more manufacturers are diverting their resources towards diesel engines. Ford India officially confirmed that they will be focusing on diesel products in the future. VW also hinted that they will also be focusing on diesel cars when they chose to launch the Passat in diesel for an example to cite.

Now GM India is also betting big on the Diesel engines. With the launch of the Beat Diesel and the all new Smartech engine, General Motors India is looking to enhance its range of diesel-driven cars

GM has an annual capacity of 1.6 lakh engine units at its engine plant in Talegaon. The best part about this plant is that it can produce Diesel and Petrol engines on the same assembly line. So clearly, if required, GM India can produce 1.6 lakhs diesel engine and capacity will never be a constraint for them.

When asked about the shift of consumer behavior from Petrol the Diesel, Karl Slym, President and Managing Director, GM India said one cannot control the government

Skoda Laura facelift around the corner, may get the R S badge

The Skoda Laura is clearly the king of its segment when it comes to power, looks, engine options, handling and of course the option of an Auto transmission in the form of DSG. While the petrol 1.8 TSI variant is available at a good price, the golden liquid isn

@Ashikawa:

This RS variant is getting launched from the day I had decided to buy a Laura and now my car is 7 months old and done 12k kms,still I am to see this RS thing.

I thank my mind for not waiting for the RS and getting the TSI.

DSG is simply a great car to drive(driven it just once for 20 kms at the time of TD)and the FE is also simply unbelievable and with the power offered on tap,the car gets sweeter.

Even the TSI(Petrol) is also having a great FE,really my car delivers 10+ in city and 14-16 on highways,even I have once got 17.3 kpl.And all this is with a blasting performance which can rival the cars even double or more of its price.

Now lets wait and watch.

ANY IDEA IF SKODA WILL MAKE THE RS BODY KIT ALSO AVAILABLE FOR CURRENT TSI OWNERS?

Audi Launches new A6 today in Gurgaon.

Prices are as follows:

Rs 37.7 lacs : 2 Litre Tdi

Rs 39.9 lacs : 2.8 Fsi

Rs 46.95lacs : 3 Litre Diesel

Rs 47.03lacs : 3 Litre Petrol

All prices are Ex-showroom Delhi

Car owners may soon have to pay more for diesel

Driving your diesel car might soon be expensive if the Finance Minister decides to end the subsidy on diesel for passenger cars. That's because while petrol prices are linked to market rates, the government gives a subsidy of Rs. 6.08 per litre on diesel.

Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today hinted that the government may look at a dual pricing for diesel. Fifteen per cent of the diesel produced is consumed by passenger vehicles so the government might remove the subsidy on diesel for passenger cars.

Because of huge difference in petrol and diesel prices, currently at Rs. 22 per litre, the share of diesel cars in overall passenger car sales has been increasing rapidly. Diesel cars currently account for 30 per cent of car sales and the analysts expect diesel car sales to hit 50 per cent by 2015.

Replying on the debate on price rise, Mr Mukherjee said, "High prices are there

Currently the petroleum companies loose around 6 and a quarter for every liter of diesel. Even if the price is hiked, still Diesels will be worth it.

This is because of the new technology engines are now more cleaner, leaner and highly fuel efficient and will work out cheaper per km than the petrol sibling.

If you look at petrol SUV, even the best manages around 6-7 KMPL but the diesel manages to deliver around 13-14. Example is the new ARIATAUREAN CZAR2011-08-04 16:24:48

We have had a discussion about this before on the forum. A lot of members agreed that this is not a practical alternative as straight up black marketing of diesel will start the very next day.

Yes, the black marketing may be started but that would amount to a small % of the total diesel sale that will be made to the passenger car owners at the higher price than the subsidised rate.

Possibly Renault and Fiat are aware of the Government's move and they both have started offering their Diesel cars at the price of Petrol.

Now it is a real challenge for the companies to sell their Diesel Cars and most probably people will choose for Petrol over diesel.

It will be difficult to sell diesel from the same bunk at two different prices. Definately the bunk also can sell it to cars at a higher price but can show it against transport vehicles and steal the difference amount.

One point came in my mind that the Govt. can have seperate bunks for Transport and Non transport vehicles. Means they can have some licencing regime to control the sell. Some bunks will be authorised to sell diesel to cars only and some for transport vehicles only.

Another way is imposing some kind of tax on diesel cars which are already around 1lac costly for hatch and around 1.5 to 2 lac for sedan. This second option will highly discourage buyers because initial cost matters a lot for indians.

Anyway something is going to happen and offers on petrol car will soon vanish once it is implemented. So if somebody wants to consider petrol , this is the right time for it.

@ashikawa,

You rightly judged the future and this is going to happen. Demand for petrol car will increase and there will be raining discounts on the diesels.

Also the question arises that how the petrol pumps and govt will prevent selling of fuel at subsidised price to the non-commercial vehicles.

Within city limits it is not possible to build new pump due to space constraint and on highway it will be a wastage of resources if separate pumps are operated for commercial and non-commercial diesel vehicles.

If Govt implement some more tax on diesel vehicle the sales will be affected and the companies who will suffer the most will be India's two main companies i.e. TATA and M&M and than Chevrolet who have invested heavily for their diesel vehicles. Also Fiat company will also be effected because they are selling diesel powerplants to Maruti Suzuki, Tata etc...

I feel that if Govt implement such rule of different pricing for commercial and non-commercial vehicles the diesel option will remain upto SUVs and MUVs which are mostly on highways.

Sedans and Hatchback where refinement and comfort is required more as most of them are driven within city than to on highways the diesel option will not be preferred by the buyers.

Within city limits it is not possible to build new pump due to space constraint and on highway it will be a wastage of resources if separate pumps are operated for commercial and non-commercial diesel vehicles.

If Govt implement some more tax on diesel vehicle the sales will be affected and the companies who will suffer the most will be India's two main companies i.e. TATA and M&M and than Chevrolet who have invested heavily for their diesel vehicles. Also Fiat company will also be effected because they are selling diesel powerplants to Maruti Suzuki' date=' Tata etc...[/quote'] There need not be new petrol bunks. What is required is the diversion of vehicles to certain pumps. For example if there are two bunks are there at a distance of 1 km. they may licence one to sell diesel to cars and other to transport vehicle. It is highly possible because most of the oil bunks are owned by PSU's . And it will be beneficial for them too.

Another things it is now very necessary to have the diesel prices market regulated, as they did it for petrol. Controlled pricing of diesel have given undue advantage to car owners at the cost of taxpayers money. The carmakers always charged premium on diesel option, why ? Actually they took advantage of the pricing by selling diesel cars at a premium translating into huge profit for them. ashikawa2011-08-05 08:25:27

I thought the diesel technology was costly than petrol and that is why the diesel cars are costlier.

Right now it is wait and watch situation for all but probably diesel car prices will start falling.

I don't say that diesel prices are the only reason for charging premium, but its a valid reason. There might be difference in technology making R & D and component costly in case of diesel. But keeping in view that they are being used for a long time, the price differece can not be justified in present time.

Mercedes Benz today launched the new SLK in Delhi. The car will be sold at a price of 61.9 Lacs(Ex-showroom Delhi). The car features an interesting feature known as 'MAGIC SKY CONTROL' which is basically a glass roof that allows you to change the transparency settings from completely transparent to translucent. The car is built on the C class platform and features a 3.5L V6 BlueEFFICIENCY engine. The car has a 5 star NCAP saety rating.

Its an absolute stunner when seen in person. asethi9192011-08-10 13:50:55

Is this the front of W201 or any other new car?

I don't think so.

Probably it seems to be of some Sedan or Premium hatchback.

IMHO, Mahindra is just going to create Illusion by featuring this New-Look car.

Motor Vehicle Act: Government may slap Rs 1 lakh fine on companies making faulty vehicles

NEW DELHI: The road transport and highways ministry is planning to formulate a stringent policy that will hold manufacturers accountable for making faulty vehicles. An expert committee appointed by the ministry has recommended slapping Rs 1 lakh fine on manufacturers for each faulty vehicle or a three-month jail term or both.

The ministry is working on amendments to Motor Vehicle Act. The ministry is under pressure amid a growing demand to formulate a policy on mandatory product recall like other developed nations.

Sources said new recommendations stipulate that in case a consumer finds manufacturing faults with engine or any other parts, s/he would be able to lodge a complaint with the state transport authority (STA). Consequently, experts would investigate the case and suggest action. Increasing complaints from consumers and rise in instances of recalls by manufacturers have called for new rules. The ministry will hold a meeting with stakeholders to discuss these issues next week. Last year, the government had proposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the manufacturers for each faulty vehicle and introduced a bill to set up National Road Safety and Traffic Management Board. However, the standing committee sent the bill back.

In India, companies like Maruti and Honda, have recalled particular batches of cars after detecting faults in some of their parts.

"The defective vehicles having defects are usually recalled under the product recall mechanism in other countries by the national road safety authority in case the manufacturers failed to voluntarily recall the defective vehicles. This mechanism has been created by the authorities to protect consumer interest," said S P Singh of Indian Foundation of Transport Research and Training.

He added that due to resistance from vehicle manufacturers and tyre makers, the mandatory recall mechanism has not been enacted by the government even though the world's most saleable vehicle brands are available in the domestic market.

In several letters to the roads transport and heavy industries ministers, the IRTFT has claimed that the vehicle manufacturers in India occasionally recall defective vehicles to "safeguard their image" rather than display their "concern for the safety of vehicle owners and other road users".

Source: ET

Interesting step. Should be a concern for brands like Tata that are regular culprits in terms of quality issues. For e.g. The latest case of Nano burning. This time in Sri Lanka.

I also wish to see a stringent safety test fot older models that still ply on our roads. I cant possibly imagine cars like Maruti Omni and 800 passing safety regulation tests in today's times.

Motor Vehicle Act: Government may slap Rs 1 lakh fine on companies making faulty vehicles

Late but welcome move. More such stringent Laws & Rules required. Real outcome would depend upon enforcement, right technology & brains. Going by the recent developments in the Automotive sector(w.r.t to tech.), it would be hard to catch from scratch.