brijesh41183

engine oil for swift vdi

hi

i have swift vdi and the service interval has came to me of 30000 km so which diesel engine oil is best suit for swift vdi . i have used servo but it create more noise . i want engine oil  to improve  fuel efficiency , low noise and control heat .

please given me advice which oil should i use in my car

Look at the ratings. PSU oil is mostly of a low spec. You should be able to get a full semi-synthetic from one of the major manufacturers. No point in going full synth.

If you are interested in using good oils then do not use the 15w40 servo used by Maruti.

Castrol GTX diesel is good but it is API -SF.

So when you can get SL in a mineral oil like Gulf Max TD 15w40, why use a SF one ?

Yes you have to buy the oil from outside. But you will face resistance from the MAS people. So make sure you convince them that what you are doing is perfectly fine and that you have knowledge about your decision.

Since Gulf Max TD is of the same viscosity as recommended, it should not cause any trouble.

Mineral oils are manufactured from natural minerals available as natural resources while synthetics are made of chemicals that are formulated. Mineral oil's life is shorter than that of a synthetic oil. Synthetics are generally thinner oils and have a large temperature range. But synthetic oils are far more costly than mineral oils. It is obvious that synthetics are far more superior than mineral oils but mineral oils are also good if their API grades are up to date.

It is completely up to you whether you would want full-synthetic or mineral.

Also brands like Mobil will cost more than Gulf. Gulf MaxTD should be more value for money.

Castrol GTX diesel is good but it is API -SF.

Do not look at the Petrol Ratings in a Diesel Oil. Look at the C* and not S*. As per API for petrols only SJ, SL and SM are currently valid, all others are obsolete. So almost all our PSU oil is to obsolete ratings - matched to the company type!

Petrol and diesel engines have different requirements, For example, a Diesel oil has a higher content of detergent. After quite a bit of noise about using Diesel oils in Petrol Engines, MobilExxon said very clearly on their site use that you should match the type of oil and the type of engine for best results.

sgiitk2010-06-19 02:04:43

Castrol GTX diesel

Viscometrics

SAE 15W-40Technical Specification

API

SF/CC, SAE 20W40

Suitable for use in

automotive engines including inter-cooled charged engines where the

manufacturer recommends API CH-4 or earlier Specifications

Specially

recommended by Tata Motors use in their diesel passenger cars.

A newer but costly diesel oil is Shell Helix Diesel HX6

Shell

Helix Diesel HX6 Features and Benefits

Features

Benefits

Synthetic technology

motor oil

Upto 23% more effective

in removing deposits from dirty engines than a mineral oil

Resists oil degradation

throughout the oil drain interval

Minimises vibration and

engine noise

Smoother - Quieter drive

Shell

Helix Diesel HX6 Specifications

Viscosity

15W-40

API

CH4

ACEA

A3/B3

It is semi synthetic

sb-alto2010-06-19 06:45:47

I  have ask the retail shop  he told that he have two kind of oil mobil diesel oil that is 1. mobil delvac mx  and 2. mobil super 1000 and the mobil super 1000 is recommened by maruti for diesel car and is it mobil super 1000 better than mobil delvac mx or  Shell Helix Diesel HX6    but i will buy mobil delvac mx or  Shell Helix Diesel HX6 and one more  question is it API CG4 is higher than CH4 and what is mean by API Rating and Which is the highest API rating is currently in market 

one more  question is it API CG4 is higher than CH4 and what is mean by API Rating and Which is the highest API rating is currently in market 

API Stands for American Petroleum Institute. They rate oils. Just search for old threads and you will find all. I remember uploading the API specs table (or a link to it). In general any CG will be lower than CH. It is your money and you make your choice. I have not used a synth to date, but 'may' switch since Honda (in their stupid way) demand a synth for annual/10,000km change interval, otherwise it is twice a year. I think the original fill is a 0W or 5W synthetic oil. In general I do not recommend a high grade oil until the engine is run in.

I think you should be happy with a semi-synth.

sgiitk2010-06-21 04:48:44

If Mobil delvac mx is CG4 then Shell Helix diesel 15w40 being CH4 is a little better. Since your original oil was 15w40 mineral, using the same grade in semi-synth wont be problem.

***EDIT***

News, Mobil Delvac is heavy duty fleet oil.

It is 15w40 and CI4(better than CH4) but is it safe to use truck oils in cars ?

I just glanced through this page :

http://www.mobil.com/India-English/LCW/Products_Services/Mobil_Delvac.asp

sb-alto2010-06-21 17:38:54

What is the basic criteria for choosing a good synthetic oil?

I own a ford ikon 1.4 duratorq, which oil is recommended for this?

Also, can someone point out which Power steering fluid can be used as well? Can the engine oil be used for the power steering as well?

Take a look at the manual. As long as the oil is of the right viscosity and meets or exceeds the specs you should be Ok.

The main issue with a synth is the cost (typically 3x of a semi-).

To repeat once again: The oil viscosity is mmWnn. mmW is the viscosity of the cold oil, W stands for winter grade. nn on the other hand is the viscosity of the oil when hot, and is critical. Make sure the nn is matched or higher by up to one step, mm should be close the what is specified. If nn is low then you risk metal rubbing metal.

There may be a suffix EP for Extreme Pressure (eg. SAE80-90EP) for oils which are for Helical Gear Boxes (Gear & Diff). There oils have extreme shear capabilities which can take the shear of helical gears moving.

sgiitk2010-06-22 05:26:37

What is the basic criteria for choosing a good synthetic oil?

I own a ford ikon 1.4 duratorq' date=' which oil is recommended for this?

Also, can someone point out which Power steering fluid can be used as well? Can the engine oil be used for the power steering as well?[/quote']

Use synthetic oil if you are ready to spend a lot. Otherwise, minerals and semi-synths are fine. Also synthetics should be avoided if your car has not clocked some 12-15000km.

Gulf max TD as I have said above is a good dedicated diesel oil (mineral)

Shell Helix HX6 is a semi-synthetic. Use any one according to your budget

No, engine oil and power steering fluids are not the same. So do not think of using it.

Gulf max TD looks good. I was also interested to find out, which is a good oil for power steering? im planning to change that as well. The steering feels hard after driving for 1/2 hour, and there is no leakage of fluid as well. After the car(engine) has cooled down or during cold start, the power steering feels normal and smooth again. I have shown it to the A.S.S and they say its adsolutely fine. Any suggestions on what to get checked for this? I showed it to a local mechanic about the issue, but even he was not sure, what the issue is about. Pls help me out in this.

The originally approved Engine oil for Swift 1.3 DDiS was

Mobil Delvac 15 W 40 consistently gives better engine performance, low noise etc.

later other brands were approved. however it is always suggested to stick to  the one branded oil only.

As suggested in user manual for swift SF 20 W 40 for petrol engine and for diesel it is SF 15 W 40 , API-CG4 or above. My personal choice would be Motul, Castrol, Divyol, Mobil 1. This are the best in the market and surely improve engine performance.