ananthk

WagonR or i10

got a budget of around 4.3 lakhs for a small city runabout.

read the WagonR comparo in this month's Autocar, but that didnt include the i10 1.1ltr, coz it fits into my budget.

please dont suggest the Beat (coz i m 6'2" and find it uncomfortable) or the Figo (not a big fan of its petrol motor).

Autocar please help!

Yes, the new WagonR is the perfect small car for the city now. Do not consider i10 1.1litre as it is not BS4. Only i10 kappa is BS4.

Try to go for the Vxi with ABS.

sb-alto2010-06-17 17:35:20

got a budget of around 4.3 lakhs for a small city runabout.
read the WagonR comparo in this month's Autocar' date=' but that didnt include the i10 1.1ltr, coz it fits into my budget.[/quote']

I feel, even W-R could be cramped for your height. Do take a TD and try to be seated in all the seats.

PS- Micra is around corners, it MIGHT come within your budget. If not, i10 will have to be your choice.

@ bala

what are you saying?

wagon-R is the tallest car in its class.

How can it be cramped?

I on the other hand feel i10 may be cramped.

If none of these works out, go for a bolero(height no problem) or go for san-storm(no roof, no problem)

I feel' date=' even W-R could be cramped for your height. Do take a TD and try to be seated in all the seats.

[/quote']

WagonR is never going to be cramped for a 6 footer.

Micra is not a tried and tested product. Nissan's ASS is uncertain and if someone has to consider Micra, why will he not consider all other present hatches ? WagonR is the perfect small car for the city use. K-series engine is very reliable and fuel efficient.

And i10 1.1litre is not BS4. Only the kappa is. The confirmation news is already there in the "BS4 car thread"

I feel the new W-R is not as spacious as the old ones. I may be wrong.

The new WagonR is actually more spacious than the old one. The space has increased with the decrease in luggage compartment. The cabin space is huge now.

The k-series engine is peppy, but roaring sound ? Are you serious ?

my choice would be i10 because of its built quality' date=' interior, aerodynamic etc.[/quote']

All but BS3 is fine. I would not advice a BS3 car now when a better BS4 is available.

New WagonR is much improved with better interior and better build quality than before. Aerodynamics is not a concern for city use. K series engine will deliver more fuel efficiency even if it is a tall boy.

my choice would be i10 because of its built quality' date=' interior, aerodynamic etc.[/quote']

All but BS3 is fine. I would not advice a BS3 car now when a better BS4 is available.

i do hope you know that a manufacturer cant sell a BS3 car in any of the top 13 cities anymore. so the question of BS3 vs BS4 doesnt arrive.

i do hope you know that a manufacturer cant sell a BS3 car in any of the top 13 cities anymore. so the question of BS3 vs BS4 doesnt arrive.

Wrong! Manufacturers can sell both BS2 and BS3 car in all 13 cities. It is that they cannot manufacture BS2 or BS3 cars after April 1 2010. The i10 1.1 that you are going to buy will be an inventory product (old stock). Any car manufactured before that can be BS3 and can be sold anywhere.

I have information that Tata Motors is selling off new Indica V2 DLE/DLS and Fiat Palio SD and SDX which are BS2 and BS3 at a very cheap price of nearly 3 to 3.5lakhs here in Kolkata.

sb-alto2010-06-18 15:29:24

It clearly takes 20-80 in second gear and what a roaring sound? Just loved it.

The k-series engine is peppy' date=' but roaring sound ? Are you serious ?
[/quote']

Yes, bala is right sb.

I've also done the same while TDing the new W-R few weeks back.

She really roars & sounds little bit like Jet at the Rpms above 4.5-5k.

Even Swift 1.2 k-series also makes same type of Sound but with less vibrations.

Go for i10 1.1 iRDE, if its available in BS-IV version(I'm sure it'll be available as Santro BS-IV is still available & both shares the same engine) & its also having slightly more sorted out dynamics over Wagon-R.

Otherwise next option comes out to be is the W-R & its having slightly better Fuel efficiency over i10 1.1.

look at the advertisement carefully.
It says stats for 1.2 kappa at the bottom of the ad.

Yes, I know..

But the Ad is for i10 kappa only not for its 1.1 iRDE version, so why to specify the latter.

So mr ananthk,

please locate & confirm from your nearby Hyundai dealer for it from the link below:

But the Ad is for i10 kappa only not for its 1.1 iRDE version' date=' so why to specify the latter.

[/quote']

No nishu. The ad was for i10 (not specifically kappa). It claimed i10 is now BS4 and below was that note : that i10 kappa is BS4 as per ARAI . There was no mention of 1.1 to be BS4.

But as rahul mentioned, it must have been updated, rather silently. Best will be to ask the dealer.

Finally visited the Maruti showroom yesterday to test drive the WagonR. it looks very similar to the older one and on the road most people wont even make out the difference, though the increased glass area makes it look a touch larger, mini-MPVish even. the interiors are pretty decent with the high point being the space (rear legroom is huge for a small car). the seats though a little flat. the K-series motor is a gem and has a nice little roar when revved. the problem here is that it needs to be kept at higher revs to get a move on in traffic otherwise it has a tendency to stall.. this in turn requires shifting the gears too often which isnt the best experience with the slightly vague gearshift. on the move its pretty silent and at low and medium speeds the ride is actually good. the steering is nice and accurate and the car is very stable even at 80kmph.

overall i was pretty impressed with the car. the price is 4.08lakh on-road Pune for the Lxi version which i think is good value for money.

after that went to the Hyundai showroom to check out the i10 1.1ltr Era (which is BS4). a test drive car was not available though sitting in the car one can immediately see the better built quality and nicer interiors. this model costs 4.37 lakh on-road Pune, though currently insurance worth 13k is free. Hyundai have also relaunched the Magna variant of the 1.1ltr engine and this costs 4.53lakh.

Joke of the day however was when i asked the Hyundai sales person why ABS isnt an option on the lower variants of the i10. he said "sir, the i10 is a city car where your maximum speeds are 40-50kmph. ABS switches on only beyond 70kmph so it is not required for city driving"

@ananthk

My Height is 6.1 & still driving Wagon R (Old) for the past 10 years for more than 1 Lakh Kms, very very comfortable for city driving. Faced no problems at all during the past 10 years.

Go for Wagon R.

I checked new Wagon R and its much more spacious than earlier model.

The seats are bigger and thai support is better than before.

Vxi's interior is very good than Lxi.