creativebala

Suggestion needed- A preworship'd workhorse for 2L

Guys help me to choose a good preworshipped workhorse for something around 2L.

My Choices

OHC- Might get a older one, if its low in mileage I shall

Lancer - I know its resale is so poor, so I may get a good car for cheap

Baleno - a good allrounder

we may use this car till we buy the New Swift Diesel, but if we get too attached, this car may accompany a Swift or else need to give way for swift.

The main reason why we are buying this car now is, our Spark is runnning so much, and we don't want her to finish off her 45k kms Chevy promise soon.

The next reason is underground drainage system is coming in our area, so roads been dug up badly, so we may need to park the car in neighbouring streets and we don't want this to happen to our spark, also the spark bottoms out on all the new potholes.

Any Lancer owners, any suggestions towards Lancer?

Have been hearing the term "pre-worshiped" for some time now. What actually does it mean?

About your choices, if bottoming out is an issue, ignore OHC.

Lancer is a good car but spares are on expensive side.

Baleno could also fit the bill but finding one is tough.

I'd say, use your Spark everywhere. The repairs/service costs will never come even close to 2L.

By pre-worshipped, they mean cars that have been maintained well enough to consider the practice worshipping the car. I personally thing its lamesmiley2.gifsmiley4.gif.

Other than that, Bala, I agree with BF. As you said, you might get the delivery of the Swift in a month or max two. I am sure it would be much easier just running the good old Spark. The maintainence and parts costs are very reasonable and shouldnt be an issue even after the warranty is over. Stick with Chevy.

Personally, That's above doesn't seems to be Good Idea.

However if you're keen for One, OHC comes 1st ot the Mind(butas BF quoted aboved its GC's problem, I advice you to bring 1 from any source for Once to check whether it suits to your Colony's Road conditions or not !!

IMO, If OHC comes across that GC problem, then Lancer or Baleno will not stay far off, but the last one will face the least + Its Maruti Suzuki too= So will not raise that much questions/troubles in the whole.

Lancer's spare parts comes in the Multiples of Rs.5000.

Leave spares, the first maintenance/repair/service work is going to set you back by atleast 20000. Also the sewage work will be temporary inconvinience and should be over in a couple of months time. Buying a second hand car is a bad idea in my opinion. Most of the cars on road have run out of warranty, that doe not mean people start looking for new ones.

I think even moving by taxi might be cheaper option than the one you are considering. Also none of the cars listed here have good ground clearance.

And the contractor making the sewage is responsible so that you have a safe path to your home, or else he has to pay liabilities. I know that because when Metro was constructed outside one of my friends shop, authorities had built a mud road to access.

If you really need a car, I suggest none of these as there are cars in the market that you can get at around 2.5 but are still in production, translating into lower service and maintenance costs. These are Hyundai Accent, Logan and Ford Ikon.

Did saw a OHC 2003 1.5 EXI model done about 60k, almost mint condition with beige interiors. Car is so good, clutch being somewhat heavy and also steering is little bit heavy. ICE present, alloys with new insurance for 1 yr.  Asking rate is 2.9L. What say?

Lancer

You can even modify it when you get bored of keeping it stock.

And you know it it the best car for modifying.

And it is as good VFM as the other two are.

Did saw a OHC 2003 1.5 EXI model done about 60k.... Asking rate is 2.9L. What say?

That seems to be a Good one & at somewhat Justiying price.

We all here at the forum can make better decision/Judgement about her, if you can Post some of its pics here.

But after Imagining the car's status as per you've quoted above, 2.5-2.8 lacs seems to be the Appropriate price.

@CB

The OHC seems a good deal. Check with a local Honda dealer about parts availibility and its prices.

Search Mahindra First Choice. You will surely be able to find a car that you would like.

Here is a link for Chennai. Some good results.

Mahindra-Renault Logan 1.4 GLE

2007 Beige 24097 255000

Hyundai Accent GLS 2003 Bright Silver 62317 233000
Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair

2003 Silver 39890 203000

hdotline.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair 2006Metallic Silver59411255000

hdotline.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair 2006Moondust Silver55600255000

hdotline.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair 2006P.Black44890235000

rahul18102010-06-23 19:43:25

Ask for the previous insurance papers. See how much NCB he has got on the premium every year. It follows the order 20% after first year of no claim, 30% after 2nd, 40% after 3rd, and 50% there onwards. If insurance is claimed at any time he has to start again. That can be a good indicator if the car has met any accidents or has undergone a huge repairwork.

Ask for his service book.

Honda maintains a  Central Database of all cars and the services they have taken. go to any dealer with his car no.to get the details.

They might not give you directly though. ask the owner to get it for you. If he is not ready to get it, then dont be ready to buy it.

A VTEC OHC comes with a premium, I mean you will have to pay more for it than a non VTEC. If you want  performance and are ready to pay more then go for a VTEC otherwise the non vtec will suffice. I have not heard of any negative of a Vtec model.

VTEC's have been known for a faulty/not good oxygen sensor which fails after a 50k + kms. And a 2L budget would probably fetch you a pre 2003 worshipped VTEC which again in all probability has crossed 50k +kms.

Saw a 2001 vtec done 62k kms, asking rate is 3.25L, I know its too costly, but maintained well, new tyres, new battery. This one has black interiors, where as the one one I said previously had beige, and that is so good( almost mint condition.), can't take test drive, need to go and test drive on Saturday. No dealer, called the seller thro sulekha.

What will be the FE of a VTEC & non VTEC1.5? in both city & highways

I don't think you need to spend a bomb buying a 3.25L car, but hey this has a new battery, tires, and good interiors. But a 2001 VTEC no matter how good, cannot be more than 3L, and moreso you need a temporary car, so why spend cash on a premium midsizer of the yore.

FE is going to be relevant if that particular VTEC has its clutch plates overhauled. Otherwise expect about 8 to 8.5Kpl in chennai roads.

@CB

I would advise you not to go for OHC unless and until you have checked parts availibility. It has been quite a long time since it has been discontinued, and parts availibilty might be a problem.

I feel it would be better to go for a car like Ford Ikon/Hyundai Accent.

Saw a 2001 vtec done 62k kms' date=' asking rate is 3.25L, I know its too costly, but maintained well, new tyres, new battery. This one has black interiors, where as the one one I said previously had beige, and that is so good( almost mint condition.), can't take test drive, need to go and test drive on Saturday. No dealer, called the seller thro sulekha.

What will be the FE of a VTEC & non VTEC1.5? in both city & highways
[/quote']

I would also suggest that you check out an used Hyundai Accent CRDi that has been kept very well and with a low mileage-worshipped if I can be permitted to use your definition.

The CRDi is a trouble free car and is economical to run.The engine is a three cylinder and some rattle shows but that can be ignored given the fuel economy and trouble free service it offers.

I am surprised that these command a very good resale value. Whereas petrol Accents of 2002/3 are available for Rs 1.5 K the CRDi sells for Rs 2.5L-3.0L.

Avoid a much used diesel with 80-100000 kms on the odo as that will be inviting trouble.