creativebala

Suggestion needed- A preworship'd workhorse for 2L

Guys help me to choose a good preworshipped workhorse for something around 2L.

My Choices

OHC- Might get a older one' date=' if its low in mileage I shall

Lancer - I know its resale is so poor, so I may get a good car for cheap

Baleno - a good allrounder

we may use this car till we buy the New Swift Diesel, but if we get too attached, this car may accompany a Swift or else need to give way for swift.

The main reason why we are buying this car now is, our Spark is runnning so much, and we don't want her to finish off her 45k kms Chevy promise soon.

The next reason is underground drainage system is coming in our area, so roads been dug up badly, so we may need to park the car in neighbouring streets and we don't want this to happen to our spark, also the spark bottoms out on all the new potholes.

Any Lancer owners, any suggestions towards Lancer?
[/quote']

From the looks of it; there's a stark contrast of the road conditions described and the cars you desire. I think the best thing would be a used Gypsy, which can be bought cheap and used in potholed roads like what you have described. OHC, Baleno and Lancer are least suited for the roads described and will also bottom out. Or being a Fiat lover, may I suggest a used Palio Adventure.

Durango Dude2010-06-30 03:33:36

I think the best thing would be a used Gypsy' date=' which can be bought cheap and used in potholed roads like what you have described. .....

may I suggest a used Palio Adventure.
[/quote']

I have never seen a Gypsy so far in Chennai's used market. If I come across also, will it have hard top, AC, PS?

w.r.to Adventure, Spare Parts?

Did saw a Elantra, so well maintained, superb interiors, ABS, Airbags, 40k kms. Asking rate is just 2.75L, negotiable.

Why is this car so cheap? What would be its FE?

Its available in TS Mahalingam, Velachery.

@CB: The Elantra you saw was it petrol or diesel, it's cheap coz it was a flop. I have one, a petrol. It gives around 8kmpl in city and around 12-13 kmpl on the highway. How old is it? It's regular maintenance is cheap. I haven't had a problem with my car in the almost 4.5 years of ownership. But my running has been very meagre: 19,500 kms to date. It's self driven and has done 4 highway runs, twice to Kumbakonam, once to Trichy and once to Kodai and back. It's very good on the highway. I really don't know parts costs as I haven't replaced any. I intend keeping it for a long time as it's serving me well.

Durango Dude2010-06-30 07:55:56

I felt the car is so good. I would suggest any second hand car buyers to give a try to this car. I can't convince my dad for this car, as its bigger & difficult to find in road.  

A super VFM buy.

contact person Ramesh, TSM, 22445050

@Bala :

How about buying an Alto LX ? or the Alto STD (if you do not mind the absence of AC). Should cost around 2.5L to 2.75L.

You can try another thing. Go to a TATA showroom and ask if they have got Palio MJD /Tata Indica DLE/DLS BS2 or 3. (from inventory)

A few days ago Tata +Fiat gave an ad that their old inventories are up for sale and most cars are BS2. Palio and Indica were priced at 2.95-3.12L for new cars.

You can get a new Palio MJD BS2/3 for 3 L

@ Bala - The Elantra seems like a great deal. I say try harder to convince your dad to go for it.

@ SB - Do not rub poor Bala's wounds. If he could convince his dad for a Fiat, they might have already bought a Punto. The Palio, even at a discounted price probably will be out of question.

Hmm.. But then bala will have 2 cars with the same engine.

tomorrow

My votes goes for the Elantra.

Besides, Bala, you can register BS3 vehicles manufactured before Jun1 in BS4 cities.

arkboypunk12010-06-30 14:20:48

BS2 or 3 cars can be registered if they are manufactured before the BS4 commencing date(if the car has not been registered before). Or as arkoboy is saying there must be a deadline.

If ads for BS2/3 are still published ,there must be a legal way to do it.

sb-alto2010-06-30 17:11:09

BS2 or 3 cars can be registered if they are manufactured before the BS4 commencing date(if the car has not been registered before). Or as arkoboy is saying there must be a deadline.

If ads for BS2/3 are still published ' date='there must be a legal way to do it.

[/quote']

What I'm saying, and what you are is nothing but the same.

The BS4 deadline was around June1 if I'm not wrong.

afaik: BS2/3 manufactured before 31 March can be registered in the current BS3/4 cities till 30 Sept. Some state are trying to reduced the deadline to 1 July or 1 June.

Also, for old cars I do not know.

20100701_180350_front.JPG

20100701_180634_side.jpg

20100701_180829_back.JPG

Today, TD'd this City. I have discussed about this sometimes back too. I couldn't drive it then.

Pros

About this car, its Jun 01, 62k on Odo, new Tyre/ Battery, very neat interiors/exteriors, good suspension, awesome power, good AC, its a VTEC.

Cons

slightly heavy clutch,

car is in the name of a company and it sold to a guy( he claims, he bought it just a month ago for his sister, as she is not comfortable with it), who is yet to change name. He says, he has all original service papers, RC, that name change form,..etc. Is this trustworthy? What all need I have to check?

Quoted price- 3.25, I can get it for 3. I am ok with this price. The only doubt is regarding its ownership.

3 lakh to me seems to be on the higher side.
Get it for 2.5 lakh if you can' date=' else walk away.[/quote']

In Chennai, OHC commands good premium. A 2001 1.3 itself sells for 3L here. The only doubt I have in this car is regarding its ownership.

It has got 45% no claim benefit.
creativebala2010-07-01 18:35:31

Boy , that's a really good car ! Try to get the price as down as possible ! Somewhere near 2.75 will be good ! I assure you , you wont sell this VTEC in a year or so. It's really hard to find a well maintained VTEC . And if you maintain it, it will fetch you premium!

@CB: How ever awestruck you may be with the VTEC theres no way ones going to get 3.25L. I'd give probably something like 2L or below for that nothing more. OHC don't have a heavy clutch check it out or you may have to take the car straight to Capital Honda workshop, instead of driving it.

"car is in the name of a company and it sold to a guy( he claims, he bought it just a month ago for his sister, as she is not comfortable with it), who is yet to change name. He says, he has all original service papers, RC, that name change form,..etc. Is this trustworthy? What all need I have to check? "

Throw some light on this.

@DD, For 2L, we can't even expect a 99 OHC 1.3 with 1L on oddo, OHC is going on Premium. I've come across many OHC & shall confirm this.

@CB: Ask T.S.Mahalingam how much they'd offer over phone then probably you'll get a rough idea as to the going rate. 3.25L, as far I know, is over the top for a 9 yr old city, premium or no premium.