jimgeo

Kia Motors to debut in India soon

Kia Motors, sister of Hyuandai Motors and one of the largest car maker in the South Korean market is all set enter the Indian car market with establishing a new manufacturing facility here, reported a leading news daily today. The company will initially mark its debut in the segment of compact cars, hatchbacks and entry-level sedans in India, and will enter the SUV segment after a few months, the news report further elaborates.

Currently, the European market accounts for the most of the sales of Kia Motors. But as countries like India and China are emerging as one of the fastest growing auto-markets, the company is switching its focus towards these Asian markets. The prospective cars which are expected to hit the Indian roads include company's best-selling vehicles in its domestic market like Forte and Rio. With this, Kia's popular hatchback Picanto and Proceed are also expected to make a debut in the Indian market.

While the prospective sedans of the company are speculated to be pitched against popular cars of this segment like Honda City, the hatchbacks will possibly compete against Hyundai  i10and Suzuki Swift. Moreover, company's compact SUV's, Soul and Sorento would also be tough competitors to the ones already here.

2009_kia_soul_5w.jpg

Kia Soul, my love, a perfect reciepe for Indian Market.

Kia Motors, a sister organisation of South Korean automaker Hyundai, is reportedly eyeing an India entry. The company plans to set up a plant in Chennai, near Hyundai Motor India's plant. The facility is expected to be ready by 2012 and will have an installed capacity of 3 lakh units.

Kia

Kia Sportage Mini SUV

kia-sportage-2010-06-590x376.jpg

kia-sportage-2010-02.jpg

Kia Rondo :  7 seater Mini MPV

kia-rondo-711.jpg

kia-rondo-72.jpg

kia-rondo-7.jpg

Kia Sorento SUV: One of the best selling SUV s in Europe.

2009%2Bkia%2Bsorento.jpg

Kia Ceed 2010

3814087657_2e7bc09504.jpg

Kia Picanto Morning 2010 model

2010-Kia-Picanto-Moprning-3.jpg

Kia Rio sedan

kia-pride-facelift-031.png

kia-pride-facelift-027.png
jimgeo2010-06-25 18:05:30

800px-2010_Kia_Forte_SX_3_--_08-22-2009.

This is the only Kia model I am interested in seeing make here. While others are OK' date=' and Kia Soul is famous nominee for World Car of the year I dont like it very much

[/quote']

This Kia Forte could become the poor man's Honda City ???

As far as I remember, Kia Atos looked very much similar to the Hyundai's original Santro (India 1998 version), except that Flat tail-gate.

& Now their Kia Picanto morning looks very similar to the latest International Santro(=version next to Indian Santro Xing).

Does Hyundai & Kia are having any Technical/R&D connections or are doing just Buy & Use Platforms ??

This Kia Forte could become the poor man's Honda City ???

So, what would be the expected price of that ?? In India..

Kia and Hyundai are sister companies.

So it common to share platforms and cars between them.

The only reason i am looking forward to Kia in India is because that will mean more Rafael Nadal ads on TV.

He is their Brand Ambassador.

will Hyundai use KIA to break into the 10lac+ category ? they have failed to do that with Hyundai's brand name

if both companies are selling hatches and cheap sedans then they would compete against them selves

It is a rip-off of the city.

The cleanest rip-off I have ever seen(next to the Chinese)

It was launched in 2008 end in Korea' date=' long before the new City.

[/quote']

City was launched in September 2008, so we dont know who is the culprit. However its the Koreans who have been long famous for this.

Kia has probably got a substantial presence in Oz. They are the major sponsors of the Australian Open for quite a few years now. I wonder how they are doing there?

@msd63:

Kia Carnival and Grand carnival are the best selling people movers(like Innova in India) in Australia. Can see a few Rio hatches, Sportage and Rondo on the Oz roads. But most of those models belong to the previous generation. The current models of these cars are not as popular as their predecessors. But I hope the latest 2010-11 models will do better as they are better looking. Eventhough the Soul is a much discussed model in the automobile world, it could not contribute much to the sales charts. Kia is offering an unlimited kilometers 5 year warranty on all models here. Hyundai is doing much better than Kia here. But in Europe it is vice versa. The following link will give you an idea about Kia in the Land Down Under.

jimgeo2010-06-26 17:57:33

Looks like Kia's considering bringing the Grand Carnival MPV to India! Just for context, it's 380mm longer, 155mm wider, but 40mm shorter in height than the Toyota Innova Crysta. For more info on the MPV, you can head over here: https://goo.gl/xNpd86

Another model that Kia's evaluating for the Indian market is the Stonic SUV! Internationally, the Stonic is offered with a range of engines including a 120hp, 1.0-litre T-GDI petrol; an 84hp, 1.2-litre petrol; a 100hp, 1.4-litre petrol; and a 110hp, 1.6-litre diesel unit. You can find out more about what it has to offer here: https://goo.gl/HhJ8gW

Came across this video giving a nice look at the SUV inside out: 

No news yet on whether Kia is planning to bring the Rio hatchback here... but I think it could be a great fit in the Indian market! Found some neat walkaround videos giving a closer look at the interior and exterior of the car: