being the Linea has a variable geometry turbo while the Punto 75HP has a

fixed geometry turbo. The two cars are also based on the same platform,

so it was literally a plug-and-play application. That they share the

same transmission down to the number of teeth on the gear cogs only

helped matters. Fiat tweaked the Engine Control Unit and modified the

Noise Vibration and Harshness package and voila, you have the Punto

90HP.........

[/quote']

Note above, the gearboxes are same. i think its something in the ECU that is causing the figures to show what it is showing.

@bala

I never said that OHC is not a good buy, I just felt that buying a car that is 3 generations old might be a risky decision. If parts availibility is assured there is nothing wrong in going for it.

That they share the same transmission down to the number of teeth on the gear cogs only helped matters. Fiat tweaked the Engine Control Unit and modified the Noise Vibration and Harshness package and voila' date=' you have the Punto 90HP.........
[/quote']

Note above, the gearboxes are same. i think its something in the ECU that is causing the figures to show what it is showing.

Yes rahul, that's enough to be called 'Different Gear Ratios'. Rest their Gearboxes Gemetory, size, mounting points, Actuation & Operating points are the same.

& Rather than providing the Acceleration madly to this car, better that Fiat have tweaked it for somewhat Frugality too.. smiley1.gif

Do check out this new updated 1.6l E.torq version of the Punto in the Brazil.

Isn't she's having the best Face-lift Styling Cues for the Punto or Punto 90HP/Sports here(to justify the 15% Premium over the 75 HP Punto),

1) Updated Dashboard with Stylish Modern Curves, New Dials & Metal Silver finish theme, etc:

Punto-1.6-E.torQ-4.jpg

2) Clear-Indicator Element in Tail-lamps:

Punto-1.6-E.torQ-3.jpg

(Image source: Motoroids.com)
dr_nishu2010-07-01 16:32:27

The reverse light is still WAY down there.

If they have clear lens, light, the reversing lights can easily be incorporated in there.

BTW any major changes?

Airbags(6 or 2)

EBD?

Auto transmission?

A reworked 1.6 of the Palio will definitely be welcome' date=' but FE may not be that good. [/quote']

Why to tinker a decade old engine when TJet is going to hit shores soon? IMHO, TJet will tick all the boxes better than 1.6(except may be linear power delivery as it has got a turbo). I expect lot more FE than old 1.6.

Is the gear box and especially the clutch modified.

Has done a few long trips in Punto Diesel and felt that the long travel given to clutch(Has to push it all the way down) made our legs pain.

We enquired if this travel could be reduced. However, we got a response from service guys that  it is not possible to adjust the travel since the clutch is fluid operated instead of cable-operated in other cars. Do not know about how true the response from service advicer is?

Any idea?

I can say eyes closed that this fiat will be more fuel efficient than 75hp one . But it won't smoke i20 due to the heavy weight . Fiat should learn from Nissan V platform the Micra is spacious yet just few kilo heavier to i10 and this will make it fuel efficient car .

I went to my dealer here yesterday & checked out the 90HP Punto. Its the same car shown here by Bala. I must admit the dashboard feels more smoother & classy as compared to other models. The panel gaps have improved but still the gaping around the ignition was not 100% parallel...The prices would be out next week.

The guy also told me that Fiat will be launching Punto Sports called Abarth around Diwali season smiley32.gif ...I don't know if its true, but seems Fiat has some plans going under the sheet...

And to my surprise the guy also told me that Fiat is planning to launch the upgraded Punto Evo by beginning of next year...But they will still continue to sell the original Punto along with this model....Guys any info on this???

I really doubt that there are any Abarth Versions coming here. Although id kill for one!! 1.8 Petrol Turbocharged Punto is what I want!!!

And the killer red stripes!!!

OT, Has anyone seen a modded white Punto with Red strips that looks like the Abarth?

I was just wondering if any Abarth fan has tried this on his Punto.

Another small review of Punto 90HP.

It's been exactly a year since the Punto was launched and Fiat's baby has done reasonably well for itself. With a gorgeous Italian form, reasonably spacious interiors along with an amazing ride and handling package, the Punto made for a pretty viable option. However the engines were a bit of a letdown. While the petrol 1.4 was pretty capable, it was the more popular 1.3 Multijet diesel that suffered on performance. While the same engine proved itself to be a nippy performer in the Swift and the Ritz, the Punto's heavier kerb weight made it a lazy performer. And now with Ford and Hyundai coming up with better performing diesels, it was time for the Fiat to up the Punto's game.

And that's just what Fiat has done. Floor this baby and you can immediately notice the extra pep in performance. The extra pep comes from the same engine that powers its bigger sibling, the Linea. Shifting from first to second in the powerband induces an almost first gear wheelspin thanks to the massive wave of torque. This is the result of the variable geometry turbocharger that not only offers a higher power output but also aids drivability and fuel efficiency thanks to lesser use of throttle.

In a segment currently operating with fixed geometry turbo Engines delivering 69-75 PS of power, the Punto will be the only car in its segment, with a 'locally produced' Variable Geometry Turbo engine. The Hyundai i20 is the only other hatch with similar power output and we can't wait to pit these together. The Punto 90 HP as it has been christened features minimum changes on the outside with the badging and the chromed door handles being the only differentiating factor. On the inside, the seats now feature sporty red stitching to highlight the new sporty character.

Gruntier Grande Punto on the cards soon!-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Fiat launches 90 BHP diesel variant of Grande Punto at Rs

6.79L

NEW

DELHI: Car maker Fiat India on Friday launched a new diesel variant of

its small

car, Grande Punto, priced at Rs 6.79 lakh (ex-showroom price,

Delhi).

The company claimed that the car, with a 1.3-litre multijet

engine, would give a mileage of 20 km per litre.

"The launch of

Grande Punto 90 HP multijet is testament to Fiat's commitment to

innovation and

consumer satisfaction. The car is aimed at consolidating our position

within the

'performance diesel' segment, which has been relatively untapped until

now,"

Fiat India President and CEO Rajeev Kapoor told reporters here.

The

company, which has a 50-50 joint venture with Tata Motors, has a

production

facility at Ranjangaon in Maharashtra.

The facility can produce two

lakh cars and three lakh engines per annum.

Source:ET

Fiat India launched the Punto 90 HP version here in New Delhi today. The more powerful version of the Punto diesel has been priced at Rs 6.79 lakh ex-showroom Delhi (see prices for the Punto 90 HP below).

Powered by an 89 bhp 1.3-litre Multijet diesel engine, the Punto 90 HP borrows its engine from the Linea and is some 15 bhp more powerful than the existing 75 HP Multijet diesel engine found in the hatchback. This has been possible thanks to a re-tuned engine that also boasts of a variable geometry turbocharger instead of the fixed geometry turbocharger found on the 75 HP.

This makes the car about 3.8 seconds quicker to 100 kph than the regular 75 HP car and it boasts of a top speed that is 10 kph higher than the regular car as found in our road test. The car was also a couple of seconds quicker in our in-gear acceleration test. Not only has the car improved in terms of performance but also in terms of driveability and refinement. The interior quality and surface finish has also improved after feedback from customers.

The Punto 90 HP has been launched in the Emotion trim only for now and will co-exist with the Punto 75 HP. The other engines on offer are a 1.2-litre and 1.4-litre Petrol FIRE engines that produce 67 bhp and 88 bhp respectively.

PRICES OF THE PUNTO 90 HP ARE AS UNDER (ALL EX-SHOWROOM)

New Delhi: Rs 6.79 lakh

Mumbai: Rs 7.01 lakh

Bengaluru: Rs 6.88 lakh

Chennai: Rs 6.83 lakh

Kolkata: Rs 6.85 lakh

The colours on offer are: Bossa Nova White, Exotica Red, Medium Grey, Foxtrot Azure, Tuscan Wine

Source : BS Motoring : http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/fiat-launches-punto-90-hp/2324/1

I TD'd this car today

MJD 90 is improved w.r.to Pick Up. The initial pick up has improved noticably when moved from stand still. Then it slows down till its turbo kicks in. Then as usual, i.e., good pick up & speed.

Interior quality & panel gaps have improved.

@bala,

As you've been to Tata-Fiat Showroom recently & have seen the New 90HP, Can you please tell -Is Fiat've also changed the Interiors quality of the 75HP Diesel & other Petrol versions too ??

Or they're restricted to the 90HP version only ! 

The pricing looks steep to me and with a lakh more you could buy the Linea emotion. I don't think majority of the Indians are ready to pay so much for a "performance" diesel hatch with just "90bhp". Fiat should have gone the whole hog and given a more powerful version.

I think Fiat has really overpriced the Punto 90bhp , the i20 is only 5k more on road in Asta trim and it has better quality interior ,performance , quality ASS .

I think Fiat has a lost opportunity for the enthusiast too with this version .