arkboypunk1

Used Safari or Brand new sedan?

Well my dad is going to buy a new car by Christmas/Diwali, and is willing to spend Rs6lakh on the ex-showroom price. He won't mind spending the same/a lesser amount on a used car. Usage will be limited - Just 3-4 km on weekdays (to drop me to school + buy vegetables in the morning) and about 20-30 km on Weekends. 2-3 yearly highway trips are also possible.

As what is buys will mainly be influenced by my choice, I have come to a conclusion --

A hatchback,say a Polo will be a great choice.

A mid-sizer, say a Manza will be perfect.

A used mid-sizer, say a Corolla.

But, we already have an 800 hatch, and a mid-sizer - Indigo.

Hatches and mid-sizers are just normal cars, but why not something out of the box? Why not something we (especially me smiley2.gif) actually deserve. Why not...... an SUV???

Now coming to the point, we could afford a 'Pre-worshipped' Scorp, Innova or a Safari.

Well, the scorpio is near perfect, but-

1. No airbags available on used cars.

2. CV/People Carrier/Gang men's image. (no offence to scorpio owners and fans)

3. Less equipment on offer.

What about an Innova?

1.Its an MPV, not really an SUV(but I still love it)with the people carrier image)

2. We might not be able to find something thats not too old.

3. People might ask my Dad: When did you get larger family?

So we have the Safari left.'

It has many defects and minus points, agreed, but-

1. Its a true SUV.

2. One can easily find a VFM deal, thanks to the low resale.

3. Can be made a 5-seater easily.

4. Decent enough for us.

What do you guys say?

Note: I shall elaborate certain points later.

I vote sedan, get a good used honda city previous generation. You can get a good example which should be in your budget. If you want new, get the Manza preferably diesel. If it has to be petrol and new then go for the Dzire.

If it's a sport utility t you are looking for, take a look at the Scorpio, better in quality than the Safari but not in terms of space. The mHawk is a very capable brute, ride and handling still not good enough though.

If you do end up with a used Safari, ensure there is service history and buy the latest possible model in case of the old dicor or even the new dicor. But used 2.2 will probably not be in your budget. Avoid TCIC.

I feel an used Safari is a white elephant and if one is not sure as to how the SUV has been run by the previous owner the costs to get it back to decent standards are awesome.Most Tata vehicles are like that and for second hand buyers these are quite a pain.The expenses start after 3/4 years of ownership if not maintained well.

If you can find a owner driven Safari say 3 years old with around 50-60K kms on the odo and with the original paint and a clean service record that will be OK. Or else its not worth.

I feel an used Safari is a white elephant and if one is not sure as to how the SUV has been run by the previous owner the costs to get it back to decent standards are awesome.

If you can find a owner driven Safari say 3 years old with around 50-60K kms on the odo and with the original paint and a clean service record that will be OK. Or else its not worth.

Yeah hope we can find one of such nature' date=' if not I'll ask my dad to bunk the Safari.

Well I already came across one or two such VX es on Carwale.

I vote sedan, get a good used honda city

previous generation If you want new, get the Manza preferably diesel.

If it has to be petrol and new then go for the Dzire.

If it's a sport utility t you are looking for, take a look at the

Scorpio, better in quality than the Safari but not in terms of space. .

But used 2.2 will probably not be in your budget. Avoid TCIC.

Honda city and Scorp not possible because no Airbags.

Yeah I'm thinking about Dicor 3.0 .

We might be able to get a 2.2 for our budget as safari resale value is damn low.

As a matter of fact one TBHPian in Bangy recently bought an excellent condition fully loaded 3.0l VX for less than Rs5lakh!!!

TCIC is best ignored.

This is coming from a scorned ex-tata owner.

I will take what Anjan said and make slight modification to it.

A NEW Tata is a white elephant. A used Tata is a disaster waiting to happen. It is not a good idea. The maintainence costs will be killer.

Get a new sedan or luxury hatch or a 2-4 year old luxury sedan.

I will take what Anjan said and make slight modification to it.

A NEW Tata is a white elephant. A used Tata is a disaster waiting to happen. It is not a good idea. The maintainence costs will be killer.

Get a new sedan or luxury hatch or a 2-4 year old luxury sedan.

Hmm.. Valuable advice.

Just that I got inspired by a TBHPian who I mentioned of in my previous post.

Let's see what luck has in store (hope a miraculously mainained safari which may not give any problems). Or maybe the whole idea is lame???smiley19.gif

If its a Safari' date=' it has to be 2.2Dicor, nothing else.

I too think, if you properly hunt( Take your sweet own time), you can get a very well maintained Safari for 5 or Odd lakhs.

Don't hurry in the used car market.
[/quote']

We won't!smiley4.gif

My dad isn't serious about buying a car really soon.

He hasn't TDed a single car as yet!

So we have more than 5 months .

All the best for your used car ventures!

You seemed to be fond of SUVs.

Try the Premier Rio.

Guaranteed exclusivity.

I personally feel it lacks character. AfSS will be worse than Tata's too.

My dad will surely hate it.

I don't think the Xylo 5str will be any good too, thanks to its strange looks/smiley7.gif

You can also get a brand new Bolero.

Some new variants also get ABS and Airbags.

Bolero with airbags? Great!smiley32.gif

But its not really the family car we're looking for, and the poor image would be a disaster for my babu-dad!

@arkboypunk

safari will give u trouble , it will have niggling issues but when u drive it u will forget all the troubles she ever gave u.

u can't compare safari with any sedan

I personally would never go for a used car if I had that kind of budget. I feel one should only go for a used car if they dont wish to invest much. At 6 lakhs some really good new cars are available.

You could get a really nice premium hatchback, or an entry level sedan with all the features required.

You have i20, Polo, Figo etc among others. Also there was news about a Jazz price being dropped around Diwali. so that is one car to watch out for, given its engine and space. Also there will be launch of Etios from Toyota.

If you really wish to buy a second hand car, search the market for 2007 NHC 10th anniversary edition or a 2008 SX4 ZXI. These are good cars with all the safety features.

With Safari you are not only getting maintenance problems but also getting a SUV which is often called the BUS because of the pain it takes in maneuvering it around the city.

rahul18102010-06-27 18:04:04

I personally would never go for a used car if I had that kind of budget. I feel one should only go for a used car if they dont wish to invest much. At 6 lakhs some really good new cars are available.

You could get a really nice premium hatchback' date=' or an entry level sedan with all the features required.

With Safari you are not only getting maintenance problems but also getting a SUV which is often called the BUS because of the pain it takes in maneuvering it around the city.

[/quote']

Yeah! Maybe an SUV is still a distant dream, maybe an SUV will be my 1st car! smiley14.gif

If you can look further' date=' hunt for a Fusion D. I saw one with Airbags done 50k odd kms for INR 3.75. I felt it bit pricy, but would satisfy most of your needs.[/quote']

Seems decent enough. My dad won't have to sell our M800 if he goes in for this.

Or we can buy a 46" LED  3d set with the saved money.smiley17.gif

Back to the topic, service might be questionable, but at Rs3.5-3.8 lakh, this would appeal both to heart and mind!

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, all!

I shall put forward all this to my dad, and let him decide whether he can handle a Safari for my sake!

So is a fusion a good deal?

D-uh! Just thought about all this.

So is a new Manza not a good idea?

What kind of problems can we face from a new Manza?

(We already have an Indigo, but we practically don't know nothing about its maintenance, as all thatis taken car of by the office & chauffer.)

@arkboy

no issues on Manza till date, my cousins owns one and has done 10,000km in 4 months.

Tatas are not that bad, they have niggles that doesn't mean they will leave you stranded on highways. Tata vehicals are robust, yes there where issues during V2 and turbo era but vista and manza cannot be compared to a V2

@arkboy

no issues on Manza till date' date=' my cousins owns one and has done 10,000km in 4 months.

Tatas are not that bad, they have niggles that doesn't mean they will leave you stranded on highways. Tata vehicals are robust, yes there where issues during V2 and turbo era but vista and manza cannot be compared to a V2
[/quote']

But still no improvement in the Safari 2.2?

I would strongly recommend to stay away from either the Safari or the Fusion.

Apart from the fact that the two cars could prove to be high on maintenance, you simply have a budget in which you could lay your hands on a brand new machine.

So,just don't look for second-hands. VW Vento will be coming, linea is going to have an engine upgrade and the new Fiesta is also likely to hit the shores. A lot of worthy options are coming.

I think they will all be worth the wait.   

Even i would recommend you to stay from used SUVs.

You can get a new Swift Dzire, an Indigo Manza or a Mahindra Logan for that price.

All three of them are fantastic products.

My advice would be to buy a new sedan/saloon instead of a used car.

well that is because a safari based over Land rover is expected by end of 2010 , it will be a 3 liter diesel , rumors of V6 also but not sure, but safari of resembling land rovers is been seen testing

well that is because a safari based over Land rover is expected by end of 2010 ' date=' it will be a 3 liter diesel , rumors of V6 also but not sure, but safari of resembling land rovers is been seen testing
[/quote']

Agreed...But they will be atleast 2 to 3 times above the 6L budget will be a problem to park and definitely a hand full for that school run.