carispassion

Increasing the Ground clearance for Maruti Baleno

Dear Friends,

I am having a 2000 model Maruti Baleno which has done 103,000km till date.

I have heard of certain bushes which are used for increasing the GC of cars. I think they use a thicker 'mounting bush' to increase the height.

Baleno comes with Mc-pherson struts for the front and rear suspension. And I would like to increase the height for the rear suspension.

Kindly tell me if you have used or are aware of the same. Also are you aware if it is available for Baleno? Kindly put your comments.

The only two way of increasing ground clearance I know is : Increasing rim size and having 2psi more pressure in tyres.

Aftermarket suspension springs are available for Maruti Baleno (as it is extensively used in INRC) but whether they can increase GC is unknown to me atleast.  Eibach makes springs and struts for Baleno.

Even if such mounts are available I do not know how ride quality will be affected. Better upsize tyres. That is a much safer way to do it.

@sb-alto: If you keep the outside diameter the same than upsizing rims and/or does not get you much. Aftermarket springs may be the only option. The rubber pads will settle down pretty soon and the ultimate gain may be minimal.

Hello sb and sg sir,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Baleno had 165/80 R13 tyres as standard on LXi and 185/70 R13 in VXi with Alloys.

I am currently running on the Swifts's 14" 5J steel rims and and 165/80 R14 JK Tornado tyres. As sb has said, the car do not rub its belly anymore though there is speedo error. Previosly I was using 60lit LPG tank in the boot, which made the GC increase inevitable. Now since I have removed the LPG kit and the since the road condition improved a bit in my areas think the high GC is not a necessity now.

However, a slightly better GC for the rear wheels will not hurt, especially when there are 5 people and luggage.

One more reason for using the spacers for rear suspension is that, the spacers will tighten the springs further. Hence the ride will be a bot more bumpy. However in my case, the rear suspension has started showing its age and the damper has lost a bit of its resistance. Hence it easily bottoms out at potholes. So tightening the springs (by way of spacers or stiffer springs) will hopefully make-up for the lost restistance of the damper.

Also, one more option could be by increasing the resistance of the fluid inside the dampers. I think it is not possible since the dampers are gas-filled in baleno! Could anyone throgh more light into this?

Hence I am having two options:

Option I:

1. Change the tyres to 185/70 R13 and use original Baleno steel rims (185/70 R14 will rub against the fender, though 165/80 R14 fits fine)

2. Use spacers for rear struts/ use stiffer springs to increase GC. Hence rear suspension need not be replaced.

Option 2:

1. Stick on to the current setting; that is 165/80 R14 JK Tornado. And live with the speedo error and lesser stability due to skinny tyres.

2. Replace the rear suspension and overhaul the front suspension. 

@sg sir, Think what you have said is correct. The rubber spacers will loose its effectiveness after some time. Hence I have to either opt for metal spacers or use stiffer springs.

Could anybody kindly comment on the approximate cost for changing the Springs or using Metal spacers?

Change to 185/65 R14 and maintain a tyre pressure of 29psi.

Koni/Eibach springs for Baleno (rear) costs around Rs6700 a piece. Overhauling rear suspension would cost around Rs15-17thousand. And stiffening the springs will last only upto say 1000-2000km max.

Adding spaces would change ride and handling characteristics and is not recommended. The stability is decreased with the use of spacers.

I think even the 185/65R14 tyres will rub against the fender. Since I am using R14 5J steel disks, which is thinner for a 185 section tire, the sidewalls will bulge out causing uneven wear and rubbing against the fender.

I think the rear suspension overhaul may not cost that much. (Hopefully!) smiley3.gif

I think the only option I got to do now is to maitain the tire size as 165/80 R14. Or else live with the lower ground clearence offered by 185/70 R13 tires.

Thanks sb, I will also check-out the option of getting stiffer set of Springs as well. Thank you.

Kindly let me know if you know a reliable source of metal spacers for Baleno.

I think even the 185/65R14 tyres will rub against the fender. Since I am using R14 5J steel disks' date=' which is thinner for a 185 section tire, the sidewalls will bulge out causing uneven wear and rubbing against the fender. [/quote']

It shouldn

Yes it is the Vxi size that I mentioned. So no worry of wheel scrapping.

Normal Baleno rims would cost around Rs750.  Get MRF Zvts on them ( harder tyres with much more tread depth but less performance), so that quick wear is avoided.

Search for springs rather than metal/rubber spacers. Spacers will hamper ride and handling.

For an 1lac+ km driven car, you've to Overhaul/Replace its Struts-Suspension first, as due to worn out Strut bushes & its other bits the Suspension Travel, Bounce & GC is suffering, so better is to Rectify them 1st, then look for Rubber Inserts in the Strut mounts & then Tyres.

Hi Using the spacers between body and strut is the first to try for increasing ground clearence, without altering the gear ratios,

by increasing the tyre size (aspect ratio for example 185/65 R14 to 185/75 R14 )will alter drivebility as quoted example the intial pick up is lost you will gain similar top end speed

Hello All,

Thank you very much for the reply.

@sb: Thank you. Think I should stick on to the original Baleno rims itself. Yes. Will try MRF.

@DD: Thank you very much for the Information. Contacted Mr. Kamlesh (Mob: 98840  82826) from  Electra performance.

They have a set of springs available for Baleno. However, it will reduce the GC further. Hence did not went for that.

@nishu: Yes. I am now planning to overhaul/Change suspension first before trying for GC increase. Hope this will help.

@andyred: Quite true! I am currently running on 165/80 R14 instead of original 165/80 R13 and can say the performace difference. The performace of 165 section tyre is nothing but poor! I am planing for wider tyres now!