bluescorpwin

Hyundai Getz Modifications

Hello Friends, I own a 2005 model Getz GL model and i am happy with the car and i have no plans of buying a new car but its been long since i have made any kind of modifications so now i wanted to know an experts advise regarding the below mentioned mods.

1) Can i fit the car with an good after market air filter like piper-cross or K&N, along with NGK spark plugs and what advantages will i get and what about performance and mileage?

2) Whats the advantage of fitting an Turbo charger and what about performance and mileage?

3) What are the advantages or disadvantages of fitting alloy wheels along with low profile tyres.

4) The silencer on my car has started to rust and has broken in few places for which the service center has welded the silencer and now the vehicle has dropped on mileage so can i fit an free flow silencer if so the advantages and disadvantages and if i can fit then the make and cost of the silencers.

5) Can i fit the car with a rear defogger and a rear wiper blade.

6) A good brand of actual leather seats and padding for the doors, handles etc and is there a dashboard fitting too? if yes the cost and details.

7) What kind of head light conversion should i go for, a HID light conversion or a bi-xenon fitting and do these last for long time and is it RTO approved if yes then the brand and cost.

8) Any other modifications that actually help improve the car in all aspects will be humbly accepted.

I hope i will be getting an encouraging reply to my queries and also the place to buy these parts from in Bangalore.

Thanking you and eagerly awaiting reply. Have a great day.

@bluesapphire: How long do you intend to keep the car?

1. Not advised. Search out the Spicer report. aftermarket filters can allow more dust into the car. Keep the stock filter clean and change it more frequently.

2. Definitely not. It will increase power no doubt, but reduce the engine life. Also, if not expertly done you will have turbo lag.If you increase the power you must also improve the suspension and brakes.

3. Alloys reduce the unsprung weight. Improve road holding. Even without upsize or alloys going for a better tyre (like Turanza for the Sxxx which are standard) will improve the handling, steering, etc. I changed the tyres of my Santro from S322 to Turanzas with a big gain in handling, grip, etc.

4. Free flow gives more gain in sound than performance.Go for a good silencer from the market at half the price and these can be equally good. Modern engines need some back pressure!

5. Involves change of rear glass. If the wiper exists in higher models then that fitments may be on.

6. Try Connolly or some other good brand. Beware of art leather. Should put you back 30k+

7. You can go for a bi-xenon. It will be illegal though.

That is alot of questions, But I shall answer a few as SG has already answered most.

1. To be honest, the K&N filter isnt really required and there isnt that much of a difference. But in my personal experiences, the Pipercross Filters are WAYY better. Firstly, they are Foam Based, and therefore reduces the dust intake. Also, I have found no sound increase in the engine, but a definite performance gain.

2. Turbo Chargers: a definite NO NO!! Also, there isnt really much place in the Getz to do something like that. If it was your second car, only for weekend bursts or something like that, then maybe it is a different ball game.

3. Alloys: for Gods sake, PLEASE DO NOT BUY MULTI PCD WHEELS!!! Basically, the wheels that have 8 holes instead of 4. They are a Hazard. Also, Refrain from Chrome wheels as they look really bad after they chip.

4: A freeflow exhaust if correctly fitted will give you an increase in both fuel economy and power. And it isnt necessary that free flow exhausts be loud. They can be silent too. All depends on how they are made. Since you are in bangalore, there will be no shortage of people who can do it for you.

5: Rear Viper: Dont bother, The electrics involved are too complicated.

Places you can do it:

FRK RACING:

FRK Racing

6, Diva Sandra Industrial Estate,

Whitefield Road,

Bangalore

1) K&N: More air means also more dust, not that good for the engine in the Indian scenario.

2) turbo is a definite no, no...a non turbcharged engine can't take the backpressure of a turbo without extensive mods.

3) alloy wheels is ok but low profile tyres will give you excessive feed back from the roads...can feel more ruts and potholes than before and if wider tyre (mostly) steering will become a little heavier than before.

4) Usually all the welds to the silencer will hold up for a max 6 months to 1 year depending on the size of the leak. You may need to change the silencer/ exhaust system depending on the location of the leak. Will be around 5K.

5)Rear defogger/wiper is integrated into the glass so have to change glass and also see if wiring provided for fitting the same.

6)Stanley leather do a good job and can cost typically 30k.

All these will set you back by a 'fantastic' sum and you'll be saddled with the car for a very long time, coz the resale value of the Getz GL will be low as such. It's not sure how your car will behave after all the modifications and how reliable it will be.

Personal opinion: go for the alloys and leather seats and give the others a pass, as they are, I feel not worth it. With the turbo charger and all that power you will require better brakes and ABS which I think GL doesn't have and also suspension upgrades.

Oops I meant Stanley and wrote Connolly. The latter used to be suppliers to Rolls amongst others and are now defunct.

I think C and DD have done a good job of completing the story. Just a couple of comments

As for alloys if you go for chrome, they are heavy and the benefits of reduced unsprung mass are lost.

If you upgrade to Turbo you MUST also upgrade the suspension and brakes.

@bluesapphire:

Sir, another small error. BS is still in US i guess smiley36.gif

1)Against K&N, but a stock size Green cotton wont be bad.

2)No to a Turbocharger.

3)Yes to an iridium spark plug(s) or Platinum from NGK's

4) FFE with header will not harm and can be done. It will improve efficiency to some extent.

5) Alloys are not worth the price. if you want looks go for it, otherwise a normal steel rim(new) with new tyres is just fine. Yes, Yoko S drives or bridgestone Potenza GIII should be opted.

6)HID is the best option but you will only get a low beam bulb unless you buy a separate headlamp casing with projector setup and all.

Other things that you can do :

1)Full synthetic oil

2) Exedy clutch -for some 25k

3) Piston head port and polish

4) Stiffer suspension springs.

Thank you SG, Cyrus, Durango and SB all your advices are very very valuable to me, as most of my friends who have got these mods done to their cars were quite hesitent to give the performance details and i think they are facing most of the common problems reported by you all. I think i will get the stanley seats, Exedy clutch, Aura company alloys(still thinking about this or other company details are kindly required), pipercross filter, NGK spark plugs and I still need advice on what company make Free flow exhaust should i opt for that should be good for both performance and fuel efficiency. Once again Thanks a lot for your advices.

Is there a Petes shop in Bangalore ?

Petes air filter is good. (Green cotton) and so is Pipercross

Hindalco is out of service now I guess, so getting an Aura alloy is not preferable. You might get old stocks. Try getting Apollo Acelere wheelz (check apollo india website) which are Enkei made or else check out Plati or HR wheels.

If you get a Petes shop then getting a Remus/Automech exhaust wont be a problem. If you get a Pipercross dealer then Magnaflow exhaust should be available. Most free flow exhaust with proper header/manifold will give you better performance and efficiency if installed professionally. Leave these work for mod shops to carry out.

I think i will get the stanley seats' date=' Exedy clutch, Aura company alloys(still thinking about this or other company details are kindly required), pipercross filter, NGK spark plugs and I still need advice on what company make Free flow exhaust should i opt for that should be good for both performance and fuel efficiency. Once again Thanks a lot for your advices.[/quote']

I don't think you need a performance clutch. Aura makes some really ordinary looking wheels, try Apollo which too has a limited range but some decent looking one's, so does Neo too. What size are you going for the alloys? You will also get a lot of variety in the imported range from Lenso, HR, BSA, etc. Any good free flow exhaust will improve performace and FE. In Bangalore you can get it custom made (unbranded) with so many tuners around and it will be cheaper. Definitely add good tyres to your upgrades and they should be the first "performance" upgrade one makes to a car.